Legacy Hornet vs Su-30MKM

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1225
  • Joined: 12 Jan 2014, 19:26

Unread post11 Jul 2020, 01:20

Nice insightful video of a former Hornet pilot talking of his experience against the Malaysian Su-30MKM.

Offline

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4153
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post12 Jul 2020, 17:49

I would be curious to know how often the SU-30 pilot lost sight of the F-18, and lost the fight because of it. For all of its merits, the Flanker is a HUGE fighter. That's one advantage F-16 and 18 pilots will always have against it, they're going to be a lot tougher to see.

Also interesting insofar as the SU-30 used its TV during one of these fights, something we're told isn't useful in the real world. Looked plenty useful here. To me, the whole thing is just too close for comfort. The aircraft are so evenly matched, it's fortunate we (usually) have the better pilots.

Hopefully the F-35 restores our historical overwhelming advantage, and we won't lose nearly as many men/machines..
Offline

madrat

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2793
  • Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 03:12

Unread post12 Jul 2020, 19:24

Evenly matched in WVR against a plane from 30 years ago...
Offline

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2429
  • Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 02:41
  • Location: Singapore

Unread post13 Jul 2020, 02:55

Geriatric F-15s: "Age is only skin deep."
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6890
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post13 Jul 2020, 03:30

Let's not forget that USMC F/A-18C Hornets are getting a version of the APG-79 AESA Radar. So, the old girl still has some kick left in her...
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5599
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post13 Jul 2020, 19:16

Corsair1963 wrote:Let's not forget that USMC F/A-18C Hornets are getting a version of the APG-79 AESA Radar. So, the old girl still has some kick left in her...


A shame they can't retrofit the goodies the Swiss and Finns have on their Hornets. (9G airframe IIRC.)
"There I was. . ."
Offline

eagle3000

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 74
  • Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 17:17

Unread post13 Jul 2020, 23:06

sferrin wrote:A shame they can't retrofit the goodies the Swiss and Finns have on their Hornets. (9G airframe IIRC.)


They are not 9g rated airframes. 7.5g like all the other Hornets.

The titanium bulkheads allow Swiss (and Finnish, and Kuwaiti too?) Hornets to reach their service life of 6000 hours despite harder flying - air to air only takes a toll.
It wouldn't help in other cases. Air to ground causes different stresses which the Swiss mods might not help to counter.
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6890
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post14 Jul 2020, 03:36

eagle3000 wrote:
sferrin wrote:A shame they can't retrofit the goodies the Swiss and Finns have on their Hornets. (9G airframe IIRC.)


They are not 9g rated airframes. 7.5g like all the other Hornets.

The titanium bulkheads allow Swiss (and Finnish, and Kuwaiti too?) Hornets to reach their service life of 6000 hours despite harder flying - air to air only takes a toll.
It wouldn't help in other cases. Air to ground causes different stresses which the Swiss mods might not help to counter.


The main factor on the 7.5 G limit on the Hornet (and later Super Hornet) was to extend the aircraft service life. (i.e. naval use) Both airframe are more than capable of handling more....

Hell, fighters exceed their "advertised" limits all of the time....
Offline

milosh

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1126
  • Joined: 27 Feb 2008, 23:40
  • Location: Serbia, Belgrade

Unread post14 Jul 2020, 19:14

madrat wrote:Evenly matched in WVR against a plane from 30 years ago...


And Su-30 is lot younger?!?

Of course not. It is dual seat Su-27.

What I find impressive is Su-30 with is huge weight and drag could hold its own and in fact from words of F-18 pilot it was second toughest opponent he fly against, behind F-22, F-22 have noticeable better T/W ratio and is less draggy.
Offline

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2429
  • Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 02:41
  • Location: Singapore

Unread post15 Jul 2020, 03:28

About 10 years. The MKMs were delivered from 2007 (MKI baseline).The F-18Ds were from 1997 and are still equipped with the APG-73, although they added AIM-9X+JHMCS combo.
Offline

milosh

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1126
  • Joined: 27 Feb 2008, 23:40
  • Location: Serbia, Belgrade

Unread post18 Jul 2020, 20:31

weasel1962 wrote:About 10 years. The MKMs were delivered from 2007 (MKI baseline).The F-18Ds were from 1997 and are still equipped with the APG-73, although they added AIM-9X+JHMCS combo.


Irrelevant for what F-18 pilot is talking, WVR combat to be clear.

Also MKM is more less same thing as MKI and that is 1990s project so not big difference even in that.
Offline

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4925
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 01:24
  • Location: Nashua NH USA

Unread post18 Jul 2020, 21:22

milosh wrote:
weasel1962 wrote:About 10 years. The MKMs were delivered from 2007 (MKI baseline).The F-18Ds were from 1997 and are still equipped with the APG-73, although they added AIM-9X+JHMCS combo.


Irrelevant for what F-18 pilot is talking, WVR combat to be clear.

Also MKM is more less same thing as MKI and that is 1990s project so not big difference even in that.


If you want to talk project, the F/A-18D is more or less the same thing as the F/A-18A which was a 1970s project
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer
Offline

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2429
  • Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 02:41
  • Location: Singapore

Unread post19 Jul 2020, 01:11

jhmcs and 9x combo is 70s tech and irrelevant to wvr? I don't think so.
Offline

madrat

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2793
  • Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 03:12

Unread post19 Jul 2020, 05:03

To him Soviet tech is Russian stronk!
Offline

milosh

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1126
  • Joined: 27 Feb 2008, 23:40
  • Location: Serbia, Belgrade

Unread post19 Jul 2020, 11:09

weasel1962 wrote:jhmcs and 9x combo is 70s tech and irrelevant to wvr? I don't think so.


Pilot was talking about gunfight. Weapon wise and senors wise I expect latest F-18 be noticeable better but as flying machine Flankers are impressive, when F-18 pilot say huge Su-30 can go super slow as F-18 that says a lot about design of Flanker.
Next

Return to Modern Military Aircraft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests