F-15X or F-15SE, F-35, F-22 as air fighter

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post12 Jun 2019, 07:28

madrat wrote:I'm not interested in handouts to Boeing. What makes their design any more valid that previous generations of discontinued production lines? Lockheed Martin has no fewer than three families of product solutions that I'd build before F-15X: F-22, F-35, and F-16. I can consciously justify F-16 with CFT and an enlarged spine for maximum internal space much easier than an F-15.

Honestly, this just shows what a "scam" the F-15EX is....As the USAF is in the process of upgrading it's remaining F-16 Fleet to the V Standard with a SLEP to boot. These aircraft are available "today" (surplus) and would just be inserted into existing production line.

They could be had more quickly and far more cheaply than the F-15EX's. While, being more that adequate for the task... :doh:

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post12 Jun 2019, 07:49

Fox1 wrote:I'm just happy to finally see fighter aircraft being purchased in quantity again. I'm not going to squabble too much over how many from each manufacturer's production line is chosen. We have a need and the room for both aircraft. And much of that present need is a direct result of not purchasing enough combat aircraft over the past 20 years. So yeah, I'm just happy to finally see a "buy" attitude coming from Washington, which is refreshing after years and years of neglect. It is just terribly sad that attitude wasn't around back in 2009/2010. It sure would have been nice to have had another hundred or so Raptors in the inventory today. Ceasing production of that aircraft at 187 was one of the stupidest decisions I've seen in my lifetime. Obama and Gates sure were some amazing visionaries, huh?

I hate to break it to you. Yet, even the US doesn't have an endless Defense Budget. As a matter of fact we are in "Trillions" of dollars of debt. Also, while the Republicans are happy to spend $750 Billion on the US Military next year. The Democrats would like to spend $733 Billion or even less. Let's not forget they have the MAJORITY in the US House and fair odds of beating Trump in the next election. Hell, they even have a shot at the US Senate. This would give them 2-3 branches of Government. Hell, if that happens the $733 Billion would look real real good!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

In short we "can't afford both". Which, is why we need to increase F-35 Production today and skip the far less capable F-15EX. As we may have less funds in the future. (odds are good)

As for creasing F-22 Production. That likely was the best outcome for the US Military and Western Alliance in the long term. Because if the US funded more F-22's. That very likely would have cut into the F-35 Program. Which, could have pushed up the price of the latter. Making the program unaffordable or at least far more expensive. (sound familiar)

In short canceling the F-22 made the F-35 "viable". Which, will allow us to produce it today in large numbers for us and our allies.
Previous

Return to Modern Military Aircraft