IAF Plans To Re-Arm Its Sukhois With Israeli Missiles

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by milosh » 02 Jun 2019, 18:24

knowan wrote:
milosh wrote:Lol, it would be very funny when they start crying why French doesn't want to do cheap quick repairs instead selling them new part!

Btw, India is only country which operate Flankers and succeed to **** up nice number of engines.
They try to be smarter then engine maker, so they use different oil.

Do I need to say which oil was cheaper?

I doubt the problem is supposed Indian incompetence; the Sukhoi Superjets are having near identical problems with numerous operators (including Russian), which is a strong indication the problem is the Russian products.

WTF have SSJ with Flanker? Nothing. In fact biggest problem with now is engine which is French, until investigation report we can't know is it some design problem or French part or something Russians did wrong.

Only country in world which is crying about Su-30 is India. Countries with much smaller budget don't have problem maintain it but India have. China for example have its own engine refurbish facility so they do refurbishing. But this indian smart a$$ would like Russians to do for them refurbish, which not gonna happen.

@mixelflick

I really doubt India consider MiG-35 at all, at least until RuAF get them and I mean version with AESA radar. How things look now RuAF doesn't want it, they want more Su-35, it have more powerful radar which would be easily upgradable to Su-57 AESA in future and Su-35 is bargain.

To me it was huge error they did that MiG-35, MiG would be lot better to focus on MiG-31 replacement or restart of MiG-31 production but with latest electronics, engines and weapons then they (and state) invest in MiG-35.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by disconnectedradical » 02 Jun 2019, 20:15

Russian electronics have always been suspect. In a PLAAF interview when they trialed Su-27SK the Chinese even complained how heavy N001 was compared to APG-63.

Also, K-77M for Su-57 is allegedly getting rid of grid fins for conventional fins.

Doesn't India already have ASRAAM to replace R-73?

Banned

by vm » 03 Jun 2019, 00:30

disconnectedradical wrote:Russian electronics have always been suspect. In a PLAAF interview when they trialed Su-27SK the Chinese even complained how heavy N001 was compared to APG-63.

Also, K-77M for Su-57 is allegedly getting rid of grid fins for conventional fins.

Doesn't India already have ASRAAM to replace R-73?

ASRAAM has a 50 km range. Not really a threat to the amraams missiles with Pakistan having 105 km range.
No easy solutions here. Pakistan has 500 c5 amraams and by extension China must also be having their varients.
Issue is how effective the Russian varients are as a combo with the radars.
I don't see India Pakistan conflicts going on for more than 3 to 4 weeks, based on historical evidence. So India has to basically saturate the skies over Pakistan with numbers.
In previous wars iaf has lost most planes to anti aircraft fire. But this was before bvr missiles entered the area.

And for the guy talking about maintenance issues with sukhois with India, I believe Malaysia also wants to sell its Russian planes, mig29s, which were supposed to be the Russian f16s.
And why does India have no issues maintaining the m2000 and old jaguars.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 03 Jun 2019, 02:24

mixelflick wrote:He's right: Small numbers of Rafale's aren't going to fix anything. Even large numbers won't cut it, as the cost is just sky high and the required numbers won't get them to where they want to be.

My guess is the Mig-35 will be their ultimate choice. It's Russian, which fits their current modus operandi. It'll be on the cheaper side of the available options, and combined with an AESA, improved weapons/more fuel and thrust vectoring engines, convey a small but meaningful edge over most of PAK's inventory. Not quite a light fighter but not quite heavy either, it lives in the spaces in between.

It will not however, be enough to counter China's vast array of Flanker derivatives, J-10B's and C's to say nothing of their new stealth bird (J-20). The only thing that'll allow India to go toe to toe with China is the F-35, and doubtful that gets sold. There's a longshot they buy the SU-57, but it's real long IMO. If you're going to play the stealth game, you need a (truly) stealth bird. And so far, the SU-57 is not - to say nothing of its other issues.

As for the rest of the field, each aircraft has at least one big strike against it..

The F-16V (or F-21 lol) will be much more expensive than the Mig-35 and in some respects (WVR dogfights) inferior. More Rafale's are too expensive. The Advanced SH for India too heavy/expensive and again US jets are a longshot. The Typhoon I don't even think is in the running, but they've never bought from the EF consortium and doubt they'll start now. The Gripen? Not sure if it has "Indian DNA" built into it LOL. It's way too small though, can't carry enough and completely outclassed by even earlier model F-16's.

Add to that the fact the Indian Navy is already operating the Mig-29K and it makes the Mig-35 the odds on favorite IMO. I wonder if the decision will be made in my lifetime LOL. I'm 50 btw... :)

I don't see India buying anymore Russian Fighters. Especially, the Mig-35 with all the problems. That India has had with the Mig-29.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 03 Jun 2019, 02:28

Considering the types available. Sounds like the Super Hornet could have the inside track...

by knowan » 03 Jun 2019, 06:27

milosh wrote:WTF have SSJ with Flanker? Nothing. In fact biggest problem with now is engine which is French, until investigation report we can't know is it some design problem or French part or something Russians did wrong.

The engines are made in Russia, and there's been widespread reliability problems with them, suggesting manufacturing defects or poor quality materials.
This is supporting evidence that Russia has a problem with manufacturing complex items to the standards expected by international markets.

milosh wrote:Only country in world which is crying about Su-30 is India. Countries with much smaller budget don't have problem maintain it but India have. China for example have its own engine refurbish facility so they do refurbishing. But this indian smart a$$ would like Russians to do for them refurbish, which not gonna happen.

The Indian complaints go far beyond just engines, but include radars, avionics and missiles. I'd like to know to know the logic for supposed 'cheap oil' for that.

And as vm said, Malaysia is having problems with their Su-30s too.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 04 Jun 2019, 00:40

India's Sukhoi fleet faces problems despite Russian spare parts deal

By: Vivek Raghuvanshi  

Quote:

"The [Su-30MKI] fleet is prohibitively expensive equipment and faces problems due to high, premature failure rate of subsystems like Engines, Radars, Missiles, Avionics, etc.," said Vinod Kumar Narang, a retired Indian Air Force Air
Vice Marshal.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2017/03 ... arts-deal/

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 04 Jun 2019, 01:27

In more recent news....

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/ ... -jets.html
Irkut Corporation, a UAC member, which showcases the multi-role Su-30 MKI combat jets at the biennial air show, has announced that hi-tech components manufactured by Indian companies are being shipped as spares for the Su-30MKI/SM family of fighter aircraft to air forces across the world.

Also, IAF Close To Buying 21 MiG-29 Fighter Jets For $900M.
https://www.defenseworld.net/news/24562 ... _For__900M

Weasel’s note: Reportedly, these are airframes that were produced but never assembled (pics available on BR forum). The Mig-29 contract is expected first following…

HAL Chief Confirms IAF Plans to Acquire 18 Su-30MKI, 21 MiG-29 Fighter Jets
https://www.defenseworld.net/news/24333 ... ghter_Jets

This after asking Russia to extend Su-30mki manufacturing license.
https://eurasiantimes.com/india-asks-ru ... agreement/

Previous