US Airforce vs US Navy G limit fighter jets

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.

by rowbeartoe » 22 Apr 2019, 05:46

Hi Everyone. First, I understand the G limits of fighter aircraft isn't the be all end all of fighter Jets. That said, I find it interesting that I can't think of a Navy/Marine Jet Fighter that is designed as a 9G aircraft? My understanding is that the F-16, F-22, and F-35A Jets are 9G+. But from what I've read, the F-35B, F-35C, all F-18's including the EA-18 are 7.5G or less. I think the F-15 is and I would think even the F-14, but I'm not sure about those great fighter jets. That said, why does it seem the USN seem less interested in requiring 9G aircraft? Obviously external weapon/fuel loads will reduce the G capabilities of all Jets (I love the stealth jets for keeping the aerodynamics with weapons stored inside)

Just interesting to me.

Thank you

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 22 Apr 2019, 06:10

rowbeartoe wrote:Hi Everyone. First, I understand the G limits of fighter aircraft isn't the be all end all of fighter Jets. That said, I find it interesting that I can't think of a Navy/Marine Jet Fighter that is designed as a 9G aircraft? My understanding is that the F-16, F-22, and F-35A Jets are 9G+. But from what I've read, the F-35B, F-35C, all F-18's including the EA-18 are 7.5G or less. I think the F-15 is and I would think even the F-14, but I'm not sure about those great fighter jets. That said, why does it seem the USN seem less interested in requiring 9G aircraft? Obviously external weapon/fuel loads will reduce the G capabilities of all Jets (I love the stealth jets for keeping the aerodynamics with weapons stored inside)

Just interesting to me.

Thank you

Your mistaken as USN Fighters are not designed with less "G". They're limited to 7/7.5 G to extend the service lives of the aircraft. As Carrier Take Offs and Landings are very stressful....

The Hornet and Super Hornet both have an override switch and I believe so does the F-35C. Yet, I haven't found a source to support the latter as of yet.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 22 Apr 2019, 14:50

The Hornet and Super Hornet both have an override switch

which allows 33% more G i.e. 10g. F-14 was 6.5-7.5g but it had no limiter and adventurous pilots took it beyond 9g. High G wears out the structures and pilot which is why it is limited. A lot more G-LOC deaths started happening when the limits went beyond the long time fighter structure standards of 6-7g.