F-15X as an interceptor

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 09 Jun 2019, 17:34

vilters wrote:Don't compare apples and oranges, I prefer bananas anyway.

Some where discussing the "range".
For a pure interceptor, against a high value target? Take off and intercept is in FULL AB and guess what ? ? ?
=> "Range" is calculated outbound only.<=

Some simply don't get it.

Most here are Americans, right?
Forgotten the Doolittle raid on Tokyo?
Coming "back" from a high priority target is OPTIONAL...

Why does Russia have any Mig-31s left? Why aren't they all sitting at the bottom of the ocean somewhere?
"There I was. . ."

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 09 Jun 2019, 19:04

vilters wrote:When a nuclear missiles armed bomber comes your way, you will change your mind and wanna get him as far from homeland as possible.

Which involves not running out of gas, before getting within launch range. That means that the fastest way from point A to point B, isn't in max AB. It's at whatever speed/throttle setting that gets you into firing position in the shortest amount of time. This topic (supersonic endurance/speeds) was discussed at great length, not too long ago.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 10 Jun 2019, 01:19

wrightwing wrote:
vilters wrote:When a nuclear missiles armed bomber comes your way, you will change your mind and wanna get him as far from homeland as possible.

Which involves not running out of gas, before getting within launch range. That means that the fastest way from point A to point B, isn't in max AB. It's at whatever speed/throttle setting that gets you into firing position in the shortest amount of time. This topic (supersonic endurance/speeds) was discussed at great length, not too long ago.

Which, is why if the USAF (sorry OSD) really wants the F-15EX. They need to do a side by side comparison or fighter competition between the F-35A and F-15EX in the Air Superiority/Fighter Interceptor Role. Because a lot of misleading information out there.........

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 10 Jun 2019, 04:11

Corsair1963 wrote:
wrightwing wrote:

Which, is why if the USAF (sorry OSD) really wants the F-15EX. They need to do a side by side comparison or fighter competition between the F-35A and F-15EX in the Air Superiority/Fighter Interceptor Role. Because a lot of misleading information out there.........

It would be interesting to see a fly off for a QRA profile, though I doubt there's much interest elsewhere.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 10 Jun 2019, 07:54

wrightwing wrote:It would be interesting to see a fly off for a QRA profile, though I doubt there's much interest elsewhere.

I would too! Yet, the OSD would never allow it.... :?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 10 Jun 2019, 14:54

yeah, they did not like my idea either.

In Red Flag :
Put all F-35 and F-16's in BLUE

Put all F-22 and F-15 in RED.

Lightweight versus heavy weight.

NO briefings, take off at noon and a single ROE : Hard deck at 10.000.
NO tankers, you fight with what you have.
No revivals : There is no Undelete button in real war ether.

Fights ON!

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 10 Jun 2019, 16:44

vilters wrote:yeah, they did not like my idea either.

In Red Flag :
Put all F-35 and F-16's in BLUE

Put all F-22 and F-15 in RED.

Lightweight versus heavy weight.

NO briefings, take off at noon and a single ROE : Hard deck at 10.000.
NO tankers, you fight with what you have.
No revivals : There is no Undelete button in real war ether.

Fights ON!

IF you honestly believe that this would be a more challenging or representative scenario, than what's currently flown at Red Flag, etc...., you really don't understand Red Flag (or aerial combat in general.)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 10 Jun 2019, 17:01

To be fair, F-22s don't normally swing for the Red team.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 10 Jun 2019, 17:49

But now F-35s swing for Red team.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

by rowbeartoe » 02 Jul 2019, 07:39

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-spy ... hoot-down/

So the link above talks about how the F-4 could not intercept the Mig-25 as a spy plane among other things. Wouldn't the F-15X be able to do such a thing better than an F-4 or F-35? Some of the post suggest- the F-35 would be better at intercepting because of drag the F-15 would have to have from external weapons. This article just makes me wonder.

Ok, Thank you again. :)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 02 Jul 2019, 09:30

rowbeartoe wrote:https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-spy-planes-that-israeli-f-4-phantom-fighters-were-never-able-to-shoot-down/

So the link above talks about how the F-4 could not intercept the Mig-25 as a spy plane among other things. Wouldn't the F-15X be able to do such a thing better than an F-4 or F-35? Some of the post suggest- the F-35 would be better at intercepting because of drag the F-15 would have to have from external weapons. This article just makes me wonder.

F-35A has less drag and more internal fuel than the F-15EX. Honestly, not even a contest under combat weights. Plus, that doesn't even touch on the Lightning II's advantages in Stealth and Sensor Fusion.

:twisted:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 02 Jul 2019, 09:33

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:But now F-35s swing for Red team.

It does indeed.... 8)

65TH.png
65TH.png (68.05 KiB) Viewed 24833 times

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 02 Jul 2019, 19:58

Corsair1963 wrote:
rowbeartoe wrote:https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-spy-planes-that-israeli-f-4-phantom-fighters-were-never-able-to-shoot-down/

F-35A has less drag and more internal fuel than the F-15EX. Honestly, not even a contest under combat weights. Plus, that doesn't even touch on the Lightning II's advantages in Stealth and Sensor Fusion.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Whatever the F-15 can do in combat configuration, the F-35 can do better. Direct quote from and F-35 pilot who used to fly F-15C's: "90% of what I can do in this airplane, I couldn't in the F-15C". The "one" metric most would be thinking of in the F-15C's favor is speed: Supposedly mach 2.5 dash speed.

I asked an F-15 pilot about this at an airshow a few years back. His response was as follows, "They may have taken a test bird to that early in its development, but I've only heard of the F-15 exceeding mach 2 once or twice. And it was a cleaned up (no external stores) F-15A on a checkout hop. Those were lighter aircraft, and our engines are tired..."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 03 Jul 2019, 03:40

mixelflick wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:

^^^ THIS ^^^

Whatever the F-15 can do in combat configuration, the F-35 can do better. Direct quote from and F-35 pilot who used to fly F-15C's: "90% of what I can do in this airplane, I couldn't in the F-15C". The "one" metric most would be thinking of in the F-15C's favor is speed: Supposedly mach 2.5 dash speed.

I asked an F-15 pilot about this at an airshow a few years back. His response was as follows, "They may have taken a test bird to that early in its development, but I've only heard of the F-15 exceeding mach 2 once or twice. And it was a cleaned up (no external stores) F-15A on a checkout hop. Those were lighter aircraft, and our engines are tired..."

In the "Real World" the F-15C/EX has nothing on the F-35A in the Air Superiority or Interceptor Role. Yet, even after a decade of the F-35. We are still fighting the same myths and misconceptions.....(sadly)

That said, the aforementioned roles are better left to the F-22. As it otherwise would be pretty much out of job. Yet, the F-35 can easily substitute when needed.

by rowbeartoe » 17 Jul 2021, 05:04

Corsair1963 wrote:

So to be clear, the F-35 could intercept a Mig-25/Mig-31 unlike the F-4? Obviously the F-35 has a lot of advantages over the F-15ex, but could it intercept the Mig-31 doing some kind of high speed spy mission or would this be the one thing the F-15ex would be better at? If not, then I see this conversation belonging to the F-15ex is useless topic.

Thanks everyone. :)

PreviousNext