IAF F-15 canopy detaches, pilots land safely

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by element1loop » 08 Jan 2019, 12:36

This would get your heart rate up.

IAF fighter jet's canopy detaches, pilots land safely

Pilots decide not to eject from F-15 'Falcon' [ ... OK ... ] fighter jet after its canopy detaches at 30,000 feet during training flight, and instead safely land the plane at the Nevatim Airbase despite strong winds and severe cold; IAF commander stops F-15 training flights until investigation completed.

Yossi Yehushua | Published: 01.07.19 , 09:13

Two Israel Air Force pilots had to carry out an emergency landing after the canopy of their F-15 fighter jet detached at 30,000 feet during a training flight for a yet unknown reason.

The pilots, a captain and a lieutenant, took off from the Tel Nof Air Base on Wednesday night and were heading south. During the flight, the canopy detached, leaving the two pilots exposed to severe cold, strong winds and deafening noise

Despite this, they decided not to eject at 30,000 feet. They reported the incident to the control tower at the Nevatim Air Base, and the base was put on alert and prepared for an emergency landing.

The first few seconds were accompanied by confusion and stress, but the pilots quickly regained their composure. They were instructed to slow the plane and descend as much as possible, while at the same time land as soon as possible. This they did while facing immensely strong winds and difficulty in communicating with one another.

A senior IAF official said that in such conditions, a decision to eject would have been legitimate as well, but the two pilots realized they could land the plane without risking their own lives.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,734 ... 87,00.html
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 09 Jan 2019, 00:13

Must have been one "Wild Ride" to say the least....

by adamschallau » 09 Jan 2019, 01:09

Pilots decide not to eject from F-15 'Falcon' [ ... OK ... ]

The IAF refers to the F-15A/B/C/D as the Baz or 'Falcon' in Hebrew. The F-15I is the Ra'am (Thunder). The F-16A/B is the Netz (Hawk). The F-16C/D is the Barak (Lightning). The F-16I is the Sufa (Storm). The F-35I is the Adir (Mighty). And lastly, since we're talking about the F-15, in the IAF the A-4 Skyhawk was known as the Ayit (Eagle).

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 09 Jan 2019, 01:33

I wonder if the older F-15s started using gold plated canopies? I wouldn't mind looking for a missing canopy, if so.

P.s. Too late. Canopy already recovered by the IAF...

https://www.timesofisrael.com/military- ... ng-flight/