WAFB Clip of B-2 dropping two MOPS

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by smsgtmac » 22 Dec 2018, 21:47

Whiteman AFB released a clip showing the B-2 dropping two of the big muthas. Aviationist has since ripped it and put it on You Tube with his watermark. I prefer the source over the clickbait mill: https://www.facebook.com/WhitemanAirFor ... 262491254/
--The ultimate weapon is the mind of man.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 23 Dec 2018, 00:42

"There I was. . ."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Dec 2018, 00:52

smsgtmac wrote:Whiteman AFB released a clip showing the B-2 dropping two of the big muthas. Aviationist has since ripped it and put it on You Tube with his watermark. I prefer the source over the clickbait mill: https://www.facebook.com/WhitemanAirFor ... 262491254/

Was that explosion at the end of the video from stock footageof a MOAB perhaps since MOP is designed for deep penetration?
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 23 Dec 2018, 01:21

popcorn wrote:
smsgtmac wrote:Whiteman AFB released a clip showing the B-2 dropping two of the big muthas. Aviationist has since ripped it and put it on You Tube with his watermark. I prefer the source over the clickbait mill: https://www.facebook.com/WhitemanAirFor ... 262491254/

Was that explosion at the end of the video from stock footageof a MOAB perhaps since MOP is designed for deep penetration?

Definitely wasn't a MOAB.
"There I was. . ."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by element1loop » 23 Dec 2018, 02:23

Frame by frame you can see it goes in within about a meter of the red marker point. Despite slow-mo it's still surprising how long it took for the fireball to re-emerge. The background shows sediment over a solid bedrock, so the energy will reflect off the bed rock like a mirror and bounce up lifting everything above and along its boundary. I'd love to see the crater, it'd make a lovely mess of certain islands, above and below. Not going to fill the holes in a runway any time soon as the entire surface would be broken up and distorted by ripples and cracks.

All the best laid plans ... bought to naught. 8)
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 23 Dec 2018, 07:06

sexy

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Dec 2018, 07:12

element1loop wrote:Frame by frame you can see it goes in within about a meter of the red marker point. Despite slow-mo it's still surprising how long it took for the fireball to re-emerge. The background shows sediment over a solid bedrock, so the energy will reflect off the bed rock like a mirror and bounce up lifting everything above and along its boundary. I'd love to see the crater, it'd make a lovely mess of certain islands, above and below. Not going to fill the holes in a runway any time soon as the entire surface would be broken up and distorted by ripples and cracks.

All the best laid plans ... bought to naught. 8)

Yeah. the blast energy would have followed the path of least resistance along the tunnel the MOP had burrowed into the ground.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 23 Dec 2018, 19:14

popcorn wrote:

There are two "explosions" in the clip. The one at the 40s mark is dirt being thrown up and the one soon after is the MOP exploding underground.

A MOAB is a fuel-air explosive and does not make contact with the ground while whole.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."