F-15X: USAF Seems Interested

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 17 May 2019, 15:17

crosshairs wrote:
knowan wrote:The problem is more that there needs to be stronger conflict of interest regulations for politicians and political appointments in the USA.

Sure Trump appointed the guy, but there should be regulations in place to prevent this sort of sh*t from happening in the first place.

Regulations to prevent what, exactly? To prevent the DoD from buying the product that the current SedDef's previous company builds? Many people want and wanted the F-15X, including Mattis. This is not 1 guy forcing the Pentagon to buy new Eagles. If it were, this would be front page news across all of the outlets considering how the media loves to hate everyone who has even shook Trump's hand let alone work in his administration.

Or do you want rules in place that no one can work in the DoD civilian leadership roles who has worked for a defense contractor? That would be crazy.

The USAF DOES NOT WANT IT. I can't dumb it down any further than that for you. If you can't understand that a former Boeing exec, in charge of a group forcing a Boeing product on a group that doesn't want it (and who are the experts), is shady as hell I can't help you.
Last edited by sferrin on 17 May 2019, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
"There I was. . ."

by knowan » 17 May 2019, 15:23

crosshairs wrote:Or do you want rules in place that no one can work in the DoD civilian leadership roles who has worked for a defense contractor? That would be crazy.

At a minimum, they should be forced to recuse from any decisions regarding areas of their conflicts of interest.

If that results in someone that can't do their job, then they shouldn't have been given that job in the first place.

by gc » 19 May 2019, 03:02

F-15C with Legion IRST pod working it out in Northern Edge 19.

01D57CD6-A701-4A3D-9B9E-47DA122B76F4.jpeg

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... -in-alaska

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by zerion » 21 May 2019, 02:06

Long article best read there

Air Force Wants Both F-35 and F-15EX. But if Forced to Choose, It's No Contest: SecAF

The only factor that would stifle the new F-15EX fleet would be another bad budget situation, said outgoing Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson.

"If the budget gets crunched in the out years, you can't start trading off and saying we're going to keep open an F-15 line for single-digit numbers of airplanes," Wilson said during an interview May 14. "This has to be a long-term commitment to get the Air Force [inventory] healthy."...

https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... secaf.html

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 21 May 2019, 13:54

gc wrote:F-15C with Legion IRST pod working it out in Northern Edge 19.

The attachment 01D57CD6-A701-4A3D-9B9E-47DA122B76F4.jpeg is no longer available

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... -in-alaska

What a kludge. At least Japan figured out how to do it right.

F-15J-ASDF-FLIR-1.jpg
"There I was. . ."

by Fox1 » 26 May 2019, 04:06

The more I think about this, the more I am starting to believe the Air Force really wants these new build F-15EX fighters for use with future drone wing men. Having a backseater to control the drones is a huge advantage over a single seat fighter.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marauder2048 » 26 May 2019, 04:22

Fox1 wrote:The more I think about this, the more I am starting to believe the Air Force really wants these new build F-15EX fighters for use with future drone wing men. Having a backseater to control the drones is a huge advantage over a single seat fighter.

Which is complete ex post facto since the entire AFRL loyal wingman effort was built strictly around 5th gen.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 26 May 2019, 05:54

Thanks to modern datalinks your "backseater" can be sitting back at base, in a FOP, etc when he can have multiple eyes on the data and make better decisions.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 27 May 2019, 02:47

hmm, why didn't they request F-15EX's..... :wink:

Texas Guard commander wants F-35s in San Antonio

The Texas National Guard’s top commander is pushing to have the Air Force bring the F-35A Joint Strike Fighter to San Antonio to replace the guard’s aging F-16s.

Maj. Gen. Tracy Norris visited with members of the Texas congressional delegation in Washington in recent weeks to brief them on arguments that might convince the Air Force to make the swap, Capitol Hill sources said..............

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/ ... ieeVAdJ8fw

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 28 May 2019, 03:12

Write up by AFM on F-15EX vs F-35A
http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArch ... -35A-.aspx

with an infographic that still shows F-35A combat radius as 670nm vs F-15EX's 1100nm...
http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArch ... al.v30.pdf

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 28 May 2019, 10:24

weasel1962 wrote:Write up by AFM on F-15EX vs F-35A
http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArch ... -35A-.aspx

with an infographic that still shows F-35A combat radius as 670nm vs F-15EX's 1100nm...
http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArch ... al.v30.pdf

Much of the data is inaccurate...... :?

In addition we have former F-15C/F-15E Pilots. Which, have stated the F-35A has better range. (this has been discussed before)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 04 Jun 2019, 01:44

HASC Grants Lukewarm Approval for F-15EX

Rachel S. Cohen

06/03/2019

House defense authorizers this week endorsed the Air Force’s decision to buy Boeing’s F-15EX—but with a catch. A House Armed Services subcommittee suggests buying just two of eight airplanes in the Air Force request until the service details its development, acquisition, and fielding plans.

HASC staff told reporters on June 3 they won’t approve further purchases until the Air Force submits the acquisition strategy and support information that typically accompanies major procurement programs.

"This section would require the Secretary of Defense to designate the F-15EX program as a major subprogram and subject it to relevant reporting requirements and criteria pertinent to a major subprogram," HASC's tactical air and land forces subcommittee said in its mark, released June 3.

The legislation, heading to markup June 4, funds two of the fourth-generation jets for prototype development but bars further purchases until at least 30 days after the Air Force Secretary submits its development, acquisition, and fielding plans to Congress. More information will be provided when the committee publishes its funding tables.

The Air Force asked for $1.1 billion for eight F-15EX aircraft and initial startup costs in its fiscal 2020 budget request. But details about exactly what version of the plane the Air Force would buy remain murky, pending negotiations with Boeing. House authorizers want a clearer picture before they commit to spending the full amount.

But members of the House Appropriations Committee came through with almost the full request, approving nearly $986 million for eight F-15EXs in the House Appropriations Committee’s defense spending bill. The Senate Armed Services Committee also funded all eight aircraft, but provided $948 million for the purchase—$162 million below the administration’s request, “reflecting excess nonrecurring costs.”

http://airforcemag.com/Features/Pages/2 ... 15EX-.aspx

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 04 Jun 2019, 15:17

It can't be dismissed now, this thing just took a giant step to becoming a reality...

It makes no sense, will be crazy expensive (or at least moreso, than new F-35's - unit cost) and far less capable. In all my years, I never dreamed a 40 year old jet would be getting a fresh coat of paint and pushed as a front line fighter. On the one hand, it's a terrible mistake. OTOH if the Eagle pulls this off it'll just grow its legend even further..

F-15EX vs the SU-35, Mig-35 is an enticing match up. We should be talking though, about how our hundreds of F-22's would dominate these penultimate renditions of the 2 Russian fighter jets. Instead, we're talking about a much closer outcome.

Shannahan may go down in history as making a move even dumber than Gates. Never did I think Air Force leadership would make such foolish decisions, but here we are.

Congrats guys, you're squandering away our hard fought gain in air superiority. Something that was paid for in blood and sacrifice..

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 04 Jun 2019, 16:14

mixelflick wrote: In all my years, I never dreamed a 40 year old jet would be getting a fresh coat of paint and pushed as a front line fighter.

While I agree it is a waste, it is hardly "a fresh coat of paint". The OML and the APG-82 are about the only things common between the F-15E and the F-15EX. New engines (F110 vs F100), new EW (EPAAWS vs DEWS), the FCS (Full FBW), new cockpit (Wide area displays), and new mission computers.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by disconnectedradical » 04 Jun 2019, 17:23

F-15 may be famous and with excellent record, but this F-15EX is such a waste of money. And not to mention F-35 production capacity is enough to handle the extra aircraft numbers this F-15EX is part of. Not to mention an F-15EX will be much less useful long term.

I'm not fan of restart F-22 production, but even that makes more sense than this whole F-15EX nonsense. So they plan on buying up to 144 F-15EX at average cost $89.7 million. That's $12.9 billion. If they can spend this kind of money on another fighter, why not pitch in some more and restart F-22 production and get a lot more capability? :bang:

PreviousNext