SU-57: On hold for a decade

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

nn8734

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 02:07

mixelflick wrote:
popcorn wrote:No worries. Russia will simply reclassify it as 6Gen.

https://thediplomat.com/2017/11/russia- ... ghter-jet/

“This is actually a splendid plane and it can embrace both fifth-and sixth-generation features. It has huge modernization potential,” Bondarev, now chairman of the Federation Council Defense and Security Committee, said. “Importantly, it is the best among the existing versions by its stealth characteristics. It incorporates all the best that is available in modern aviation science both in Russia and in the world,” he added." :mrgreen:

The Russians are proving themselves to be nothing short of delusional with those statements. It’s highly unlikely WE will field a true sixth generation fighter anytime before 2040 (PCA will likely be a 5.5 gen, at least at first when it comes on line in the next decade), let alone Russia.

Agree with an earlier post that China is much more of a concern than the Russians.

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 04:06

nutshell wrote:RuAF giving up.

F35 so good it doesnt even need to fire a single missile to achieve air superiority :mrgreen:

Air dominance through superior... development roadmap.

P.s.: so, su57 ioc just in time to watch the bees shooting lasers. Lol.

Lol

Where was that Aussie who was telling us this thing was like a stealthy foxbat that could fly at 80000 ft? And we didn't have a chance.

Where is the Rafale fanboy who was talking us that 5th generation engines aren't special or different in any way?
Choose Crews

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 05:12

Hmmm... nothing on Keypubs?
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

milosh

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 15:13

mixelflick wrote:
popcorn wrote:No worries. Russia will simply reclassify it as 6Gen.

Give that man a cigar!

Sounds like that's exactly what they have planned :)

https://thediplomat.com/2017/11/russia- ... ghter-jet/

"Russia’s first indigenously designed and built fifth-generation stealth fighter, the Su-57, could be turned into a sixth-generation fighter aircraft, the former head of the Russian Aerospace Force, Viktor Bondarev told TASS news agency on November.

That explain a lot. New head of Russian AF isn't from AF but from army and he want what boots on ground need, those are UAV&UCAV and more fighter bombers (Su-30 and Su-34).

I think that is wrong because Su-57 could be base for other fighter types not just Russian F-22 equivalent (more less pure A-A machine).

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 15:47

milosh wrote:I think that is wrong because Su-57 could be base for other fighter types not just Russian F-22 equivalent (more less pure A-A machine).

You mean "compromised" by "multi-role"??

:)
Choose Crews

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 17:52

XanderCrews wrote:
milosh wrote:I think that is wrong because Su-57 could be base for other fighter types not just Russian F-22 equivalent (more less pure A-A machine).

The Russians have an uncanny ability to build (supposed) air to ground/air to sea capabilities into their air to air machines. Of course, you never see a Flanker with anything more than a rudimentary air to ground (usually dumb bombs) capability.

As for a decade on ice; Wonder where this leaves the navalised SU-57? They're going to be flying SU-33's or more likely Mig-29K's from their carriers for the next 20 years!

hythelday

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 18:52

mixelflick wrote:
XanderCrews wrote:

The Russians have an uncanny ability to build (supposed) air to ground/air to sea capabilities into their air to air machines. Of course, you never see a Flanker with anything more than a rudimentary air to ground (usually dumb bombs) capability.

As for a decade on ice; Wonder where this leaves the navalised SU-57? They're going to be flying SU-33's or more likely Mig-29K's from their carriers for the next 20 years!

Kuznetsov's refurbishment budget (supposedly) got slashed in half, so it doesn't really matter.

Man, Crimea was totally worth it. :doh:

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 20:36

milosh wrote:That explain a lot. New head of Russian AF isn't from AF but from army and he want what boots on ground need, those are UAV&UCAV and more fighter bombers (Su-30 and Su-34).

).

As a Marine and a boot on the ground, I like to remind people that although CAS is wonderful, the ability to not be attacked by enemy airpower is pretty nice too.

But that's just me. No wait it's not, there are literally hundreds of examples and reports of what happens when enemy air can attack with impunity

You can't undertake offensive operations without control of the air.
Choose Crews

nutshell

Unread post01 Dec 2017, 00:07

XanderCrews wrote:
nutshell wrote:RuAF giving up.

F35 so good it doesnt even need to fire a single missile to achieve air superiority :mrgreen:

Air dominance through superior... development roadmap.

P.s.: so, su57 ioc just in time to watch the bees shooting lasers. Lol.

Lol

Where was that Aussie who was telling us this thing was like a stealthy foxbat that could fly at 80000 ft? And we didn't have a chance.

Where is the Rafale fanboy who was talking us that 5th generation engines aren't special or different in any way?

They are all enjoying F35 death spiral ofc and cheering for the russian crafty engineering ( which is somewhat "mystical ").

rheonomic

Unread post01 Dec 2017, 02:32

XanderCrews wrote:As a Marine and a boot on the ground, I like to remind people that although CAS is wonderful, the ability to not be attacked by enemy airpower is pretty nice too.

There's also the question of CAS vs BAI.
u = (CB)⁻¹(cvdt_des - CAx)

zaltys

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post01 Dec 2017, 06:48

So far haven’t seen any similar news on russian forums. Knowing russians, I would expect a lot of noise on their forums with such stuff. It looks like unconfirmed information atm, but from their current situation I can totally expect it to be true.

juretrn

Unread post01 Dec 2017, 23:59

It seems someone triggered Russia Stronkists over at Keypub HARD. You can almost see the foaming at the mouths in some of the posts.

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post04 Dec 2017, 20:14

Anyone hear anything more about this?

"Russia is reportedly working on a second and much cheaper stealth fighter derived from the Mikoyan MiG 1.44, a design that was beaten in a competition for Russia's fifth generation fighter by the current stealth fighter, the Sukhoi PAK FA..."

I found this interesting as the Mig I.44 seems decidedly un-stealthy. Is it possible they forgo the SU-57 for another, cheaper design??

Read more: http://www.chinatopix.com/articles/1116 ... z50JyjkjWr

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post05 Dec 2017, 00:19

mixelflick wrote:Anyone hear anything more about this?

"Russia is reportedly working on a second and much cheaper stealth fighter derived from the Mikoyan MiG 1.44, a design that was beaten in a competition for Russia's fifth generation fighter by the current stealth fighter, the Sukhoi PAK FA..."

I found this interesting as the Mig I.44 seems decidedly un-stealthy. Is it possible they forgo the SU-57 for another, cheaper design??

Read more: http://www.chinatopix.com/articles/1116 ... z50JyjkjWr

I hope it's true. I hope they create dozens of projects that result in No or few production aircraft.

Keep it up Russia, you're doing great.
Choose Crews

rheonomic

Unread post05 Dec 2017, 03:14

MiG 1.44 was a POS and only a tech demonstrator IIRC.

Wasn't MiG supposedly working on a low end MiG-29 successor at some point? I forgot the project abbreviation.
u = (CB)⁻¹(cvdt_des - CAx)
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft