T-50 News Thread 2

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post11 Sep 2017, 07:08

First time I have ever seen one with external tanks, wonder if they are testing them. I mean where are they flying the thing that it needs another 1200 gallons of fuel ontop of the 3300 gallons it already has internally. :shrug:

nutshell

Unread post12 Sep 2017, 00:05

white_lightning35 wrote:xaxaxa, will confuse imperialist yankee missiles. All part of mighty stronk Russian plan!

It's plasma coating.
Its like plasma stealth, but it's effective against democracy and freedom too.

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post12 Sep 2017, 00:52

nutshell wrote:
white_lightning35 wrote:xaxaxa, will confuse imperialist yankee missiles. All part of mighty stronk Russian plan!

It's plasma coating.
Its like plasma stealth, but it's effective against democracy and freedom too.

Nah.. it's just testing the back-up coal-fired power plant.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

babybat{}.net

Unread post12 Sep 2017, 11:18

geforcerfx wrote:First time I have ever seen one with external tanks, wonder if they are testing them. I mean where are they flying the thing that it needs another 1200 gallons of fuel ontop of the 3300 gallons it already has internally. :shrug:

Russia is big. From plant, where it's produced, to Moscow, where it preliminary testing, 6000 km (3700 miles).

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 15:12

Some of their birds have great range, no question. What often goes unmentioned though, is that that amount of internal fuel sloshing around may give it sluggish behavior in WVR dogfights. I never see this mentioned.

Can Flankers pull off their vaunted "super-maneuverability" will full internal tanks? Nobody has answered that question to my satisfaction, anyway. Would love to hear your best guesses though. Here's mine...

SU-27? Probably not
SU-30SM? Going to be close
SU-33?? No way
SU-35? Best of the bunch, LOL

babybat{}.net

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 15:34

mixelflick wrote:Some of their birds have great range, no question. What often goes unmentioned though, is that that amount of internal fuel sloshing around may give it sluggish behavior in WVR dogfights. I never see this mentioned.

Can Flankers pull off their vaunted "super-maneuverability" will full internal tanks? Nobody has answered that question to my satisfaction, anyway. Would love to hear your best guesses though. Here's mine...

SU-27? Probably not
SU-33?? No way

From the history of Su-27, it is known that in the terms of reference there were 2 options for fueling:
Main - 2500km range and 8g.
Full - 4000km range.
This allowed to simplify the design and provide the required range without the use of external tanks.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 18:50

mixelflick wrote:Can Flankers pull off their vaunted "super-maneuverability" will full internal tanks? Nobody has answered that question to my satisfaction, anyway. Would love to hear your best guesses though. Here's mine...

SU-27? Probably not
SU-33?? No way

I read years ago in a book I can't find anywhere that if there is fuel in the forward tanks then the Su-27 is stable and has lower AoA and G limits. You often see a ~67% fuel load considered "Standard" even for normal take off numbers. This implies to me that the lower fuel load allows it to take off in an unrestricted profile, while filling the "internal drop tank" if you will leaves the FCS restricted until the fuel is burned off. This same book is where I first read about the FBW of the Su-27 and how it could be overridden. These were things I read in the 1990s that I never saw properly documented again.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

f-16adf

Unread post14 Sep 2017, 00:03

"Can Flankers pull off their vaunted "super-maneuverability" will full internal tanks? Nobody has answered that question to my satisfaction, anyway. Would love to hear your best guesses though. Here's mine..."

Some of those airshow Flankers (Su-27) from the 1990's are "stripped down" (hence made a few thousand lbs lighter) such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B00eSuLq0Q

The specially colored birds with pilot Anatoly Kwotschur (Kvotchur).

GTA4 and another poster on this site have proved this recently. I was unaware of the jet being lighter than a standard squadron jet until they informed me as so-

Watch the Ukrainian Flanker demos and compare them to the Kvotchur ones, and you will see a difference. The jet is not as agile.

I'll try to post more later, but I am currently at work.

f-16adf

eloise

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post15 Sep 2017, 05:15

mixelflick wrote:Can Flankers pull off their vaunted "super-maneuverability" will full internal tanks?

G limit of Su-27 with full internal tank is 6G.
f-16adf wrote:Some of those airshow Flankers (Su-27) from the 1990's are "stripped down" (hence made a few thousand lbs lighter) such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B00eSuLq0Q
The specially colored birds with pilot Anatoly Kwotschur (Kvotchur).

You can see some more photos of them here:
https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/Sukh ... order=desc

Stripped down airshow version of Flanker are very easy to recognize thanks to their white-red paint and the lack of IRST, underwing pylons, radar.
Screenshot_20170915-112139~2.png

Screenshot_20170915-112009~2.png

f-16adf

Unread post15 Sep 2017, 15:16

Eloise,

Thank you for that link on the Flanker. :D

Do you happen to know if the Russian Mig-29's that flew in the late 1980's-1990's air shows (like Farnborough or Paris) were stripped down or made lighter to any degree that the Flankers were?

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post18 Sep 2017, 17:48

T-15 Mission X

Distributed training with ground sims.
Fully simulated threats
Cockpit display looks a LOT like the F-35 (single panoramic display with "windows").

"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

pmi

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post18 Sep 2017, 23:33

Different T-50 :D

eloise

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post20 Sep 2017, 02:11

thegopnik wrote:Has anyone here ever scratched their heads, stopped to atleast think and wonder why they ditched OLS-K 360 degree passive infrared sensors similiar sh*t to the F-35s EO DAS for a god damn UV system? Its a ongoing F-16.net mystery with no straight answers that even I am left in a bind.( heavy sarcasm intensifies)

OLS-K is not a 360° passive infrared sensor like DAS, OLS-K is an underbody IRST with a single sensor, more like EOTS, while DAS has 6 sensors around the aircraft.
MiG-35aerials.jpg

pod.jpg

thegopnik wrote:"The UOMZ 101KS Atoll electro-optical system includes the 101KS-V infra-red search and track turret mounted on the starboard side in front of the cockpit. This sensor can detect, identify, and track multiple airborne targets simultaneously.[86] The 101KS-O infrared countermeasure system has sensors housed in turrets mounted on the dorsal spine and forward fuselage and uses laser-based countermeasures against heat-seeking missiles. The Atoll complex also includes the 101KS-U ultraviolet missile warning sensors and 101KS-N navigation and targeting pod."

Where exactly is it just UV based?.

101KS-V and 101KS-N have the same role as EOTS aka IRST and FLIR
101KS-O has the same role as ThNDR aka DIRCM.
The 101KS-U is UV based and has similar role as DAS aka MWS, but thanks to IIR, DAS can do others stuff as well.
f-16adf wrote:Eloise,

Thank you for that link on the Flanker. :D

Do you happen to know if the Russian Mig-29's that flew in the late 1980's-1990's air shows (like Farnborough or Paris) were stripped down or made lighter to any degree that the Flankers were?

Unfortunately, i have no idea.
Last edited by eloise on 20 Sep 2017, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

eloise

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post20 Sep 2017, 02:20

thegopnik wrote:OK so tell me what is the purpose of the 101ks-o? such as why are there different sensors located around the aircraft what do they do exactly? Sucks that this is my last post for today anyways

101KS-O is laser DIRCM same as ThNDR. Purpose of each sensors are in my post above.
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft