A look at the new F-15 DEWS (ALQ-239)

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

uclass

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Mar 2017, 14:29

http://www.baesystems.com/en-us/product ... ystem-dews

The Digital Electronic Warfare System (DEWS) protects new and
legacy aircraft by providing radar warning, situational awareness,
offensive targeting support, and self-protection.

System capabilities include all-aspect, broadband radar warning;
emitter location; multispectral RF/IR countermeasures; and
response management.

These capabilities are accomplished through a digital radar
warning receiver, digital radio frequency memory jamming,
and an integrated countermeasures dispenser to provide fifthgeneration
EW capability.

Features
• Leverages digital electronic warfare technology from
fifth-generation fighter aircraft
• Modular, scalable, open-system architecture
• Enables simultaneous jamming without interfering with radar
and radar warning receiver
• Interoperable with active electronically scanned array radar
• Throughput and memory reserve for capability growth
• Fault isolation down to a Line Replaceable Module (LRM)
supporting two-level maintenance

Benefits
• Integrates radar warning and countermeasures into one system
• Faster countermeasures response
• Accurate threat geolocation
• Increased situational awareness
• Improved reliability, maintainability, and operational availability
• Reduced logistics requirements with 60 percent fewer LRUs

PhillyGuy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Mar 2017, 19:42

More capability is always a good thing to have. But I've never been worried about USAF fighters once they're in the air, unless they're going deep into enemy territory. My worry these days is more and more the vulnerability of those large and fixed landmarks we call bases. If I was the enemy, what's the best way to defeat an F-15 or F-22? Keep it on the ground or better yet destroy it on the ground. Long range precision cruise and ballistic missiles are only growing more plentiful and diverse in the arsenals of our enemies. And it boggles my mind how lackadaisical the approach to cruise and missile defense has been toward bases within reach of Russia and China. It's as if we just assume they wouldn't dare and will allow us to launch our birds unimpeded and without interruption. We'll see about that, hopefully I am wrong.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

les_paul59

Unread post20 Mar 2017, 23:24

You're worried about a ww3 scenario, in that situation there are no winners, we all lose....

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post21 Mar 2017, 14:59

PhillyGuy wrote:More capability is always a good thing to have. But I've never been worried about USAF fighters once they're in the air, unless they're going deep into enemy territory. My worry these days is more and more the vulnerability of those large and fixed landmarks we call bases. If I was the enemy, what's the best way to defeat an F-15 or F-22? Keep it on the ground or better yet destroy it on the ground. Long range precision cruise and ballistic missiles are only growing more plentiful and diverse in the arsenals of our enemies. And it boggles my mind how lackadaisical the approach to cruise and missile defense has been toward bases within reach of Russia and China. It's as if we just assume they wouldn't dare and will allow us to launch our birds unimpeded and without interruption. We'll see about that, hopefully I am wrong.

Excellent point!

With regards to DEWS though, sounds like a long overdue upgrade. I wonder though how many F-15's have gotten/will get it?

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post21 Mar 2017, 15:44

mixelflick wrote:
PhillyGuy wrote:More capability is always a good thing to have. But I've never been worried about USAF fighters once they're in the air, unless they're going deep into enemy territory. My worry these days is more and more the vulnerability of those large and fixed landmarks we call bases. If I was the enemy, what's the best way to defeat an F-15 or F-22? Keep it on the ground or better yet destroy it on the ground. Long range precision cruise and ballistic missiles are only growing more plentiful and diverse in the arsenals of our enemies. And it boggles my mind how lackadaisical the approach to cruise and missile defense has been toward bases within reach of Russia and China. It's as if we just assume they wouldn't dare and will allow us to launch our birds unimpeded and without interruption. We'll see about that, hopefully I am wrong.

Excellent point!

With regards to DEWS though, sounds like a long overdue upgrade. I wonder though how many F-15's have gotten/will get it?

All F-15s that are remaining in service, are scheduled to be upgraded with the new electronic warfare/countermeasures suite, along with AESA radars, etc....

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post22 Mar 2017, 13:28

wrightwing wrote:
mixelflick wrote:

Excellent point!

All F-15s that are remaining in service, are scheduled to be upgraded with the new electronic warfare/countermeasures suite, along with AESA radars, etc....

Thank you :)

weasel1962

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Mar 2017, 19:27

I think the usaf F-15 fleet is scheduled to get epawss which is a development of dews. EPAWSS has 2 increments. The first is interesting as it includes ADDS (possibly v2) or ACDS. The 2nd increment adds a towed decoy capability. This looks like a spiral capability that is supported by continuous upgrades til 2040.

uclass

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Mar 2017, 20:19

Apparently, this may not be as newer news as I expected.

EPAWSS continues BAE Systems’ effort to provide the F-15 fleets of U.S. and allied nations with the most advanced aviation capabilities on the market. The foundation for that effort was set in 2008, when its Digital Electronic Warfare System (DEWS) became the first new U.S.-developed electronic warfare system to be installed on the platform in several decades. Since then, BAE Systems has agreed to supply DEWS for new advanced and modified F-15 aircraft.

The LRUs look identical.

http://www.baesystems.com/en-us/downloa ... 504767.pdf

uclass

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Mar 2017, 20:24

weasel1962 wrote:I think the usaf F-15 fleet is scheduled to get epawss which is a development of dews. EPAWSS has 2 increments. The first is interesting as it includes ADDS (possibly v2) or ACDS. The 2nd increment adds a towed decoy capability. This looks like a spiral capability that is supported by continuous upgrades til 2040.

ADDS, ACDS?

weasel1962

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Mar 2017, 20:38

example of acds, google ale-58. dispensers integrated with lau-128 launcher.

Return to Modern Military Aircraft