USAF Sixth Gen PCA

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

southernphantom

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Dec 2017, 03:59

neptune wrote:
....would this not be but a 5Gen+??, not a 6Gen!
:)

Note that USAF has deliberately avoided referring to PCA as a 6th-generation system. Hopefully it will leverage COTS technology and components to the greatest reasonable extent; evolutionary is the way to go to keep costs in check (at least in my opinion).

popcorn wrote:Former SECAF Michael Wynne has an interesting proposal to defining a 6Gen fighter. Base it on the F-22 but incorporate the battle management capabilities of the F-35. Skunk Works and Phantom Works would each be given a F-22 for 3 years to achieve their vision of a 6Gen a/c. If the results don't please the AF, then it could initiate a program to develop a 6Gen from scratch.

http://www.sldinfo.com/redefining-the-n ... -aircraft/

This would be at least a somewhat reasonable approach, if USAF wanted a fighter.

It doesn't. I fully expect a multi-crew, twin-engine platform the size of a 737. Due to range requirements, PCA is likely not going to be a small aircraft. The system seems tailor-made for a potential war with China in which forward bases are not survivable. It could very well be a B-21 variant or a set of modular mission equipment for the B-21.

On a related note, I'm starting to find myself questioning the relevance of CVNs if the MQ-25 is not fielded in sufficient numbers. The throw distance just isn't there when compared to strategic bombers and SSGNs.

milosh

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Dec 2017, 14:21

Why not FB-22 proposal?
download/file.php?id=10947&t=1

Its upgraded engine and sensors could upgrade F-22 fleet too.

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Dec 2017, 18:45

milosh wrote:Why not FB-22 proposal?

I've always thought the FB-22 is what Lockheed will offer (design wise, with some tweaks) for the PCA competition. It pretty much fits the defined capabilities on PCA perfectly, but I would also like to see what Boeing and NG come up with.

southernphantom

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Dec 2017, 21:28

milosh wrote:Why not FB-22 proposal?

The FB-22 or a B-21 variant is probably the closest thing to an off-the-shelf PCA. If the FB-22 has the necessary range, I'd give a derivative, modernized design nonzero odds of getting the contract.

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post08 Dec 2017, 16:29

"Penetrating" = over mainland China IMO. Couldn't be more obvious..

The FB-22 does look tailor made, albeit it'll probably be scaled up some with a 2nd crew member. I question though how another Lockheed bird would leave the US aerospace defense industry? They've had a monopoly on stealth fighter design since the F-117, through the F-22, now the F-35 and possibly through winning the PCA contract.

That's a lot of concentration risk, although I love checking my Lockheed stock. Has more than tripled over the past 5 years! :)
Previous

Return to Modern Military Aircraft