J-20 News thread

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post05 Oct 2017, 11:43

Who would have thought that China would beat Russia in fielding their version of a 5Gen jet?

http://www.defencetalk.com/chinas-j-20- ... ice-70564/

China’s J-20 fighter jet put into service

China’s latest J-20 stealth fighter has been officially commissioned into military service, according to Wu Qian, spokesperson for the Ministry of National Defense on Thursday.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post05 Oct 2017, 17:46

There has to be something to the J-20 (other than the fact it's operational) that gives US pilots pause.

The F-22 driver I spoke to at this year's airshow was FAR more concerned about the J-20 than the SU-57

flighthawk128

Unread post05 Oct 2017, 20:37

mixelflick wrote:There has to be something to the J-20 (other than the fact it's operational) that gives US pilots pause.

The F-22 driver I spoke to at this year's airshow was FAR more concerned about the J-20 than the SU-57

Because when China makes something, they tend to make a LOT of it, especially if it's military equipment.

Also, the Russkies are kind of a known factor; NATO's been wargaming using them as OPFOR since the Cold War began. China's a newer and less understood threat.

China also was the one hacking and stealing a lot of info, designs, tech, etc. Who knows what the heck they actually managed to clone and integrate into their systems and how well it all works?

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post06 Oct 2017, 13:56

His comment was, "China buys a lot of Russian equipment but then modifies it". These "modifications" are what seemed to concern him. I took it to mean air to air missiles vs engines or avionics (which we know they lag in).

I asked if we had anything that could out-stick the PL-15 (or whatever their long range AAM is). He said, "I don't know about that...".

Right... :mrgreen:

flighthawk128

Unread post06 Oct 2017, 21:40

mixelflick wrote:His comment was, "China buys a lot of Russian equipment but then modifies it". These "modifications" are what seemed to concern him. I took it to mean air to air missiles vs engines or avionics (which we know they lag in).

I asked if we had anything that could out-stick the PL-15 (or whatever their long range AAM is). He said, "I don't know about that...".

Right... :mrgreen:

That assumes the ChiComms can see any F22s or F35s. American radar has always been miles ahead of Russian designs, and I find it hard to believe the Chinese have caught up in that department. Raptors and Lightning should be able to see any Chinese fighters far earlier than the Chinese fighters should be able to detect F22s or F35s, which gives a significant advantage for Blue Air.

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post09 Oct 2017, 16:24

Do you think that'll also be true of the J-20?

Seems like from the front, it's going to be a lot harder to detect then from the back/side..

ricnunes

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post12 Oct 2017, 22:05

mixelflick wrote:Do you think that'll also be true of the J-20?

Seems like from the front, it's going to be a lot harder to detect then from the back/side..

It will obviously be harder to detect the J-20 compared to anything from the Flanker family for example, however I'm pretty sure that the advantage will be and by far in the F-22/F-35 side.
I'm pretty sure that the J-20 RCS is quite higher compared to the F-22/F-35 RCS's. Moreover I've also read that canards don't help RCS much and actually trend to increase it.

But now if you're flying a 4th or 4.5th gen fighter aircraft like the F-15, F-16, F/A-18 (both legacy or Super), Rafale, Eurofighter, Gripen, etc... things will in my opinion change drastically with the advantage changing to the J-20's favour.
Previous

Return to Modern Military Aircraft