T-X Thread

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.

by crosshairs » 21 Jan 2019, 03:00

mixelflick wrote:
strykerxo wrote:What is the possibility that the AF ends up with the T-X as a F-16 replacement for the Thunderbird's. Considering the cost of F-22/35, the T-X would have the performance at substantially less costs. The SH is slated for the Navy Blue Angels at a considerable cost, but not much more performance.

Certainly possible. A lot more possible if another energy crunch hits, in the same way the team switched from F-4's to T-38's in the 1970's. As a young boy, I saw the T-38 team and was really impressed. They were fast, maneuverable and inspired awe.
I'm betting I would have LOVED the F-4 team a lot better though.

The Thunderbirds really need a new bird to fly. I've seen so many demo's with F-16's, I actually start leaving the show early to beat the traffic. If they were flying F-35's, you can bet I'd be there studying every move. Hopefully, they can bring the cost per flight hour down. God knows it'd be an incredible aircraft to showcase American air power. The post stall stuff alone would be worth it..

The rhino was a beast in airshow trim. Clean, she was fast and could really pull some g's a few hundred feet high. Remember when the Eagles came along it was still pilot versus pilot and double ugly won quite a lot of engagements in those days.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by huggy » 30 Jan 2019, 04:38

strykerxo wrote: The SH is slated for the Navy Blue Angels at a considerable cost, but not much more performance.

According to former Blue Angel pilots that I know, what they will be able to do with the SH is a pretty big... and cool... step up.

mixelflick wrote:
strykerxo wrote:The Thunderbirds really need a new bird to fly. I've seen so many demo's with F-16's, I actually start leaving the show early to beat the traffic.

Really?
The Thunderbirds aren't there to impress you. They are a recruiting tool for the Air Force. I'm guessing you don't fit their demographic as a potential recruit.

strykerxo wrote:The Fry's Patriots team has a segment that 2 or 4 jets pull into the vertical climb a couples thousand feet and preform a simultaneous stall and recovery.

It's just "The Patriots Jet Team". Fry's Electronics has not been a sponsor for 3 years. I think you're referring to #3's vertical stall and tail slide that he does three times during their show.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 30 Jan 2019, 14:59

Really?
The Thunderbirds aren't there to impress you. They are a recruiting tool for the Air Force. I'm guessing you don't fit their demographic as a potential recruit.

Really.

Don't fit the demographic? Perhaps. I'm a white male, 49 years old with a love of all things combat aviation. I enjoy their professionalism, precision and skills. But it gets tiring after seeing the same show for the past 10 years.

Perhaps they're aiming for a new demographic though. Given all the PC nonsense, maybe they're looking to attract (any) minority's to join the air force? Even better, maybe they can sign up some "transgender" freaks who can't look at their "parts" and figure out they're a girl or a boy??

I've got the solution though: I'm going to "self-identify" as a 20 year old minority woman transgender freak! At a minimum, that'll get me in the pool for pilot training. Let's not forget the recent Blue Angel commander who, upon getting one too many white males applying said (paraphrasing), "This isn't good enough. We can do a lot better representing the DIVERSITY of the Navy...". How many white male pilots were passed over because they weren't "DIVERSE" enough?

In, before the liberal playbook 101 is put into action: "You're a racist, sexist homophobe" etc.. It's getting old people, we know your game..

by strykerxo » 30 Jan 2019, 21:25

I hope the Navy Blue Angels F-18E will include post stall and high alpha maneuvering in the demo routine. The SH has an eye watering routine and if it can be incorporated into a team demonstration, I'm there. My point about SH solo demo and the legacy Hornet Demo as seen in Sion, Switzerland, are similar and could have used that kind of maneuvering years ago. I also, believe the TX will have similar characteristics, at far fewer $$$, for the AF Thunderbird's demo team.
You can't shot what you can't see - Unknown

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by zerion » 19 Feb 2019, 19:24

Boeing’s T-X could be coming to the Middle East — and not just as a trainer jet

ABU DHABI — Boeing and Saab’s T-X trainer jet, fresh off of winning the U.S. Air Force’s next-generation trainer competition, could be bought by nations in the Middle East for a variety of different missions, according to a Boeing executive at the International Defense Exhibition in the United Arab Emirates.

“We are seeing quite a bit of interest in the T-X,” said Mark Ballew, director of sales and marketing for International Government Services at Boeing Global Services. “We are getting quite a few inquiries about T-X and when would it be available.”

Ballew declined to comment about which countries were interested in the aircraft--or what type of missions those countries were looking at...

And while it’s widely assumed that foreign militaries, particularly those that operate the F-35, could potentially buy the T-X, its been assumed that it would likely be in the trainer role. But in Boeing’s media briefing at IDEX, Ballew indicated that the company sees a much wider market for the jet, in things like aggressor training and even as a lightweight fighter.

“Part of that is talking to customers about what they really need us to go through and do. What do they need the platform to do?” Ballew said in the briefing. “As we’re out flying it, we’ll add more capabilities to it, and we’ll see what those world needs are.”

Before the T-X can hit the international market, it has to finish development and enter production, which its set for the early 2020s.

“There’s a little bit of a wait and see, how’s it going to work," Ballew added. “But we’re convinced that this is going to be a very popular solution and much desired throughout the world, including this region.”

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... a-trainer/

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by FlightDreamz » 20 Feb 2019, 00:28

Reminds me of plans Fairchild Republic had plans to sell attack versions of the T-46 Eaglet back in the day... Hopefully Boeing will fair better https://www.cradleofaviation.org/history/exhibits/exhibit-galleries/the_jet_age/t-46_flight_demonstrator.html
A fighter without a gun . . . is like an airplane without a wing.— Brigadier General Robin Olds, USAF.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 20 Feb 2019, 01:33

Would be nice if they could get enough performance for F-5 replacement. No need for stealth as they largely serve as an air policy role. It's certainty going to be something F-50 can develop into, but if Boeing can beat them on price they can win head to head. What is the designation of a T-X as a fighter, F-24?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 20 Feb 2019, 01:39

madrat wrote:Would be nice if they could get enough performance for F-5 replacement. No need for stealth as they largely serve as an air policy role. It's certainty going to be something F-50 can develop into, but if Boeing can beat them on price they can win head to head. What is the designation of a T-X as a fighter, F-24?

Honestly, see little reason why anyone would want a Fighter Version of the T-X??? Especially, we similar "Lightweight Fighters" already on the market. (F/A-50, Gripen, and even LCA) Which, even use the same engine....(GE F404)

That said, nobody says you couldn't tailor the existing Twin Seat T-X to the role of an Aggressor or Light Attack Aircraft.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 21 Feb 2019, 03:53

The T-X is going to run considerably cheaper than Gripen, but won't offer anywhere near the performance or time on station.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 21 Feb 2019, 04:19

Performance should be better since T-X a lighter aircraft with the same engine. Range is a function of fuel so carrying 2+k less fuel should accordingly reduce range. However the T-X can carry 600 gal tanks which the earlier gripen can't. That'd eliminate any endurance difference.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 21 Feb 2019, 05:29

Personally, I see little reason to turn the Boeing T-X into some kind of single seat F-20. As the market already has a number of similar of types. Which, many already use the GE F404. (Gripen, F/A-50, and LCA)

My guess is Boeing is far more likely to customize the existing T-X for the Aggressor and possibly even the Light Strike Roles. So, I would expect them to retain the twin seats. Yet, may add some hard points to support the aforementioned.......

:2c:

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 07 Mar 2019, 01:37

Suspect the Boeing cross-sell team is in market overdrive. USAF is starting to look at what the T-X can do beyond training.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... -aircraft/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 07 Mar 2019, 03:29

weasel1962 wrote:Suspect the Boeing cross-sell team is in market overdrive. USAF is starting to look at what the T-X can do beyond training.

If, the DoD want to throw a bone to Boeing. I would rather see the above than the F-15X. (just saying) :wink:

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by Scorpion1alpha » 07 Mar 2019, 04:57

weasel1962 wrote:Suspect the Boeing cross-sell team is in market overdrive. USAF is starting to look at what the T-X can do beyond training.

I don’t doubt that Boeing is pushing for the T-X to fill the lower density light attack jet and the aggressor role (in particular). For the AF, it was always in the cards. Just nobody mentioning it out loud.

Although any of the competing T-X designs could / would have fill these roles with little to no problem, I feel the Boeing / Saab design is the best out of the submitted designs to fulfill these additional roles (three particular design features), if the decision will be made, which there seems to be little doubt it will be.

I feel if Boeing and Saab keeps their design KISS, advanced where it needs to be and simple where it can be (to reduce complexity, cost and weight), it will be successful in these additional roles.
I'm watching...

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by zerion » 04 Jul 2019, 20:03

Newest U.S. Air Force’s trainer aircraft completed its first EMD flight

U.S. aerospace giant Boeing has confirmed that the newest T-X trainer aircraft, developed in collaboration with Saab, completed its first flight under the engineering, manufacturing and development (EMD) program.

On Monday, the Boeing’s officials said that the company has begun engineering and manufacturing development (EMD) flight trials of the T-X trainer aircraft in St. Louis, Mo.

“New Boeing T-X takes to the air and is flying high in support of the U.S. Air Force contract,” said on Twitter, pointing to a begin of EMD flight trials is an important milestone for the program...

https://defence-blog.com/news/newest-u- ... light.html

PreviousNext