B-21 (LRS-B) Thread

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

durahawk

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post29 Nov 2017, 22:01

sferrin wrote:
mixelflick wrote:But that may be a tough sell to Congress, given the lack of Chinese aggressive behavior.

**COUGH, COUGH** <splutter>. Say WHAT??

I guess dredging up man made islands in international waters to put military installations on them is not agressive enough.

juretrn

Unread post29 Nov 2017, 22:09

durahawk wrote:I guess dredging up man made islands in international waters to put military installations on them is not agressive enough.

Or bullying their smaller neighbours into compliance, or supporting North Korea (or at least refusing to sanction them), or constantly threatening Taiwan, etc.
Russia is all bark, no bite.
China, on the other hand...
Russia stronk

count_to_10

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 00:05

Neptune, man, there are some real doozies in the comments.

Cosmic Observeron Nov 29, 2017
I really don't see how one aircraft is going to replace three other entirely different types. Its the F-35 all over again. My understanding is it's not supersonic, doesn't have a bigger payload or range, and who knows what it will cost to fly. Will it even be stealthy by the time it fly's? I recently read that small satellites are being designed to look down and see stealth aircraft with constellations in the thousands.
:roll:
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

nutshell

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 01:37

OTOH China survives thanks to the massive export sales to the whole west...

Then there are all the gargantuan investments the chinese made at all levels in both Eu and US.

Nah; too much to loose from both parties.

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 01:40

This is probably what the Chinese-satellites-detecting-stealth comment was about.
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/16 ... ealth-jets
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

nn8734

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 02:16

popcorn wrote:This is probably what the Chinese-satellites-detecting-stealth comment was about.
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/16 ... ealth-jets

Seems like Chinese wishful thinking to me. No doubt Northrop Grumman has accounted for this another so called stealth detection methods in the B21’s design. By time China actually has success with this, we will have come up with at least three ways to defeat/get around it.

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post30 Nov 2017, 08:48

count_to_10 wrote:Neptune, man, there are some real doozies in the comments....:

....interesting effect of a "Secret" program, as is often said; "those that know will not comment, those that don't know will comment "ad nauseam".

...I did like the comment of it being a "heavy" bomber; similar to what it is replacing. I interpret as long range and large capacity, a "new" B-2(ish).
:)

rheonomic

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post01 Dec 2017, 02:55

neptune wrote: a "new" B-2(ish)

Well, It is the B-2.1 after all...
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Mar 2018, 22:45

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18 ... ittershare

"For the first time ever, I would like to publicly announce that the B-21 will be tested at Edwards Air Force Base... Edwards has been the home of bomber test and now we also can publicly release that the B-21 is coming to Edwards and we will be testing it here in the near future."
Have F110, Block 70, will travel

Dragon029

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post08 Mar 2018, 00:29

A little insight into the current development:

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2018/03 ... tman-says/

“Pratt and Whitney says one thing; if the exhaust, the ducting contractor says another thing and says, ‘There’s only so much air we can move through there,’ and Pratt & Whitney says, ‘No, we need a certain amount of air to go through the front of the engine,’ then the question is: How do you do that?” Wittman added.

“Do you split [the requirements] between the two? Does Pratt & Whitney say: ‘Well, we can change some of the cowling [the cover on the engine] on the surface face there to be able to do that,’ ” he wondered, noting this as something that could impact the B-21’s low-observable characteristics.

“It’s not just the engine, but it’s the ducting on the engine, too. I think all those things are elements that you would normally expect in an aircraft that’s new, that takes a concept from B-2, refines and uses it on this platform.”

white_lightning35

• Location: Home of nuclear submarines, engines, and that's about it.

Unread post08 Mar 2018, 02:15

ERMAHGERD, SO EXCITED.

:inlove:When this thing is shown, it will be absolutely beautiful. It doesn't matter what it actually looks like. I feel like the Air force not giving anything away about it will cause a frenzy when we actually hear something.

Also, airflow troubles? Perhaps due to three-stream engines? :lol:

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post08 Mar 2018, 05:09

So, the B-21 is going to be powered by a version of the P&W F135 or is that just going to be used for early developmental aircraft. Until a version of the "ACE" is ready???

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post09 Mar 2018, 03:29

I guess he felt he just had to share... :roll:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/19 ... let-design
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

mixelflick

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post09 Mar 2018, 15:16

With the many intake/exhaust variation on past stealth aircraft, it strikes me as odd they're having difficulty with this. Then again, most of those were tactical aircraft (F-117, F-22, YF-23A, F-35, Bird of Prey etc) and not bigger birds like the B-2. Sounds like much higher thrust engines are driving it..

They will figure it out. Just how much $ it adds to the finished product will be the big question. Like PCA, the B-21 is supposed to leverage off the shelf designs/not too much "stretch" capability. Like PCA, I have doubts the air force will stick to that mantra. For the 100 airframes it wants though, it may not have another choice..

count_to_10

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post10 Mar 2018, 00:23

mixelflick wrote:With the many intake/exhaust variation on past stealth aircraft, it strikes me as odd they're having difficulty with this. Then again, most of those were tactical aircraft (F-117, F-22, YF-23A, F-35, Bird of Prey etc) and not bigger birds like the B-2. Sounds like much higher thrust engines are driving it..

They will figure it out. Just how much $ it adds to the finished product will be the big question. Like PCA, the B-21 is supposed to leverage off the shelf designs/not too much "stretch" capability. Like PCA, I have doubts the air force will stick to that mantra. For the 100 airframes it wants though, it may not have another choice..

There is no real indication that they are having any more trouble than they have had before.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft