Nellis Threat Training Center - I finally made it!

The F-16.net watering hole - this is the place the place to exchange stories, favourite aviation bar locations and military-grade cocktail recipies!
  • Author

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Feb 2006, 08:18

U suk!

:mrgreen:
Here's an interesting Iraq shot, which shows just how limited the view is from a MiG-23 thru the windscreen.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/A ... own/03.jpg

Even if you could see thru the glass, you can tell it would be tough to see much directly ahead, and this is w/o the gunsight in place.

And I can tell you it don't get much better than that with a semi-clean windscreen and a HUD installed :D !

You look like you need a phone book to sit on, :P

Hehe! No, I just need a different jet :lol: !
No plane on Sunday, maybe be one come Monday...
www.parrotheadjeff.com

TC

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post04 Feb 2006, 09:47

Nice shots Parrothead! Yeah, I've made my way around the MiGs that are kept at Tyndall, and I must say that if it came down to me flying one of those crates into combat, I'd defect.

Beers and well...you know :wink: were made to be pounded!

shiz302

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post04 Feb 2006, 17:26

Great shots, looks like you had a good time.
Ex 16 CC workin 'hawks.

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Feb 2006, 21:33

Thanks for the complements, Shiz and TC :) ! I did have a great time! Well, except for that T-72 :lol: ...

TC,

It would definitely be tougher to fight in one of those jets with all the switches to throw and buttons to push :shock: ! I think we have to give some credit to the engineers for making something that would work under harsh conditions and that could be maintained by relatively inexperienced crews. Credit also has to go to the pilots whose job it was and is to fly these machines into combat against U.S. and allied jets. You've gotta have courage to take one of these things up to fight!

One thing I failed to mention about the MiGs was the method of braking. There are no brakes on the rudder pedals like you'd find in most aircraft. Instead, there is a lever on the stick which you have to squeeze to apply the brakes. Why they went this route is beyond me since it eliminates any possibility of differential braking to turn the aircraft tighter on the ground, but there was probably a reason...
www.parrotheadjeff.com

Person

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post04 Feb 2006, 22:52

Great pics parrothead!

I have to admit I'm jealous of you. It looks like you had a great time.

PS. I think that's an Alamo that is next to the -29 not an Atoll. I had no idea they were such a large missile.

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Feb 2006, 23:18

Person,

Thanks again for the complements :) !

I didn't even know about the place until a few months ago, but then it was just a matter of finding someone to get me on base.

You were right about the AA-10 being the Alamo instead of the Atoll :oops: . I've edited the caption for that pic - thanks for the correction :) ! I didn't realize it was that big either - it's bigger than some of the SAMs in the yard :shock: !
Attachments
ThreatTrainingFacility020306 047 (Small).jpg
Here's the facility's data plaque for the Alamo
www.parrotheadjeff.com

mark

Unread post05 Feb 2006, 00:47

Glad I could help!
Gravity....its not just a good idea, ITS THE LAW!

overscan

Unread post05 Feb 2006, 01:52

The "RWR antennas" are nothing of the sort. They are ILS antennas. The MiG-29 rear RWR antenna is the semicircular thing above it.

Here's the Beryoza RWR as used on the MiG-29, though this illustration is taken from the Su-27 technical manual it is basically the same.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/i ... attach=321
--
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk
Unbuilt Projects and Aviation Technology

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post05 Feb 2006, 08:16

Mark,

You've no idea how great that day was :thumb: !

Overscan,

Thanks for the correction :D ! I'd rather be shown to be wrong and know what I'm talking about in the future than continue on in my ignorance :) .
www.parrotheadjeff.com
Previous

Return to Air Force Life