Pranks pulled on newbies in the squadron

The F-16.net watering hole - this is the place the place to exchange stories, favourite aviation bar locations and military-grade cocktail recipies!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by ThunderGrunt » 27 Sep 2005, 22:00

THis has probably been posted before but im new to the site and just curious to find out some of the pranks that have been pulled on newbies in your squadron.

For me I got temporarly Assinged to a helo squadron as a Aerial Gunner/Observer?Crew Chief Slave/ and Pilot Caddy on Golf Wednesday's. so anyways we just landed back @ Camp Pendelton after some Gunnery Exercises over @ 29 Palms, Inflight we had a COMMO ISSUE :lol:

So I was told to go to the Line Shack and find the Line Chief to get a PRC-E7 (Prick) in the Infantry a Prick (PRC) is a Radio system PRC-77, PRC-119 so I bit the line guys sent me all over the place, finally after about an 1 1/2 hours I found a Gunny (E-7). I said "hey Gunny I need a Prick E7" and he Flipped out and had me shining water fountains and making coffee for ever.
So I finally get to leave go back to the line with no PRC-E7 to find the bird all tied up and night crew doing their intial checks, and found out that there is NO PRC-E7 on a CH-46 and I got gooned. went to the E club that night and found the whole crew there and I had to buy the first round. Lets hear them

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 06 Oct 2005, 17:34

You never had to go get 100 ft. of flightline? Or habout a gallon of propwash? :P
Do your homework, Tiger!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Flounder » 06 Oct 2005, 17:40

I used to enjoy putting brake dust or molly-B on a newbies headset and mouth piece, left black rings around his ears and mouth.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by elp » 06 Oct 2005, 19:21

Hey kid, get me a vortex generator down here asap. :)
- ELP -

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 06 Oct 2005, 21:58

^Bwahahaha!
Do your homework, Tiger!

by FlightTestJim » 06 Oct 2005, 23:00

An oldie, but a goodie, once played out perfectly on our new Maintenance Officer (he had a degree in Forestry--go figure the connection).

"Hey Lieutenant, could you help us out tonight? We’d really appreciate your assistance with an echo check that has to be done since we put in the new engine on dayshift. The Sonic Transmitter Unit for Precision Interferometer Detection is out for calibration, and we need some help to do it manually. If you just stand here near the intake, lean past the heated strut, and transmit your voice at various octaves, the receiver set in the nozzle section will be able to detect any loose rivets, blades, or bearings in the motor.

No, no sir. You need to yell a whole lot louder and try to keep the pitch perfect. No, we’re not laughing at you, honest.

That’s better. Now try a bit higher frequency.

Ooops, here comes the Wing King. Ah let’s save this check till he leaves Sir."

by CajunMaintainer » 06 Oct 2005, 23:44

Hey, we need you to air leak check those fuel panels. Blow on the pitot tube while your buddy squirt bubble solution on the panels. Thanks!
Geaux Saints!!!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by vegasfalconfixer » 08 Oct 2005, 00:27

Tell the noob you're going to perform an AMI ops check. He needs to blow as hard as he can on the pitot tube while you sit in the cockpit and watch the indicator move. We had a FNG run down the line with an open trash bag to collect air samples for the Bio-environmental folks. I got sent to support for a can of AIR and a bottle of K9P when I was a noob back in 96.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ViperEnforcer » 08 Oct 2005, 02:35

CajunMaintainer wrote:Hey, we need you to air leak check those fuel panels. Blow on the pitot tube while your buddy squirt bubble solution on the panels. Thanks!

Quite funny, as I can remember specs having one of thier female's doing the same thing, though they called it a pitot air sensor test. Quite funny, seeing her blow like that.

Another good one, having JEEPs do an "Echo" check down the intake, when the motor was out. I always liked that one.

Mike Valdez
If it yanks, banks, turns, and burns, Crew Chiefs made it happen!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by F16z28 » 08 Oct 2005, 02:42

Another newbie and I were told to go to NDI to have our steel toe boots checked because they were handing out bad ones at Sheppard. After i stood in a large room with a lead plate over my waist so i could still have kids i was shown an x-ray pic with two boots and one of the toes cracked, which made me think it was for real. i had to wear a red tag back to the squadron and after an hour my flight chief couldnt take it anymore and as i stood at the snack bar i turned around to see the entire squadron getting a good laugh
Active 2000-2004 309th FS Luke AFB, AZ California Air National Guard 144th FW Fresno,CA 2004-Present

by Eggroll135R » 09 Oct 2005, 02:00

We had a supply troop "help" us with a "radar tracking alignment" check during a TDY to the desert. We got a folding metal chair and told this gal hold it above her head on the centerline in front of the jet. Then we'd give her a thumbs up and tell her to move to the right and left to complete the "check".

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by MJ_FalconEgress » 16 Oct 2005, 06:17

Send the newbie for the "Keys to aircraft XXXX". Tell him he should be able to pick them up at life support. Of course life support says they don't have them anymore and send him to MOC, who sends him to the AMU who sends him.... The bright ones don't get much farther than that, but the dumb ones can keep going all day.

by Rocky_LC » 16 Oct 2005, 16:37

I used to enjoy putting brake dust or molly-B on a newbies headset and mouth piece, left black rings around his ears and mouth.

We had some guys who were real pranksters, and they put black shoe polish on the headsets of both the A-Shopper in the cockpit, and the McAir Tech Rep (on the ground) of one of our F-15 Avioncs checks. Both guys had shoe polish all over their faces. Each one would look at the other , and just crack up laughing - neither knew that they looked just as bad. The McAir guy used to rub his headset on his shirt (unconscioulsy) - his shirt had big black stripes on it!

Everyone watching was just busting a gut.

Rocky

by cchief16 » 23 Oct 2005, 06:32

i had my box hung over the top of haz in iraq about 100 feet over the groundheld by safety wire. SRA didnt like having his headset greased...so i guessed i deserved it
F-16 crewchief

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by IDCrewDawg » 23 Oct 2005, 14:13

When I was at Moody we had these Gazebo's with a pitched roof. Our QA guys there had to ride bikes from place to place instead of getting a vehicle. Well our most loved QA inspector shows up, walks into the main building leaving his bike in the rack outside the building. Well our very zelous maintainers take his bike and saftey wire it to the rafters of the Gazebo (which is visible from the entrance of the main building). So the QA guy walks out, sees his bike is gone, and starts asking where it's at. Doesn't see it as he walks by the Gazebo, and heads out onto the flightline, after an extensive search he comes back and walks right back by the Gazebo again and heads inside. Tells the prosuper if we didn't produce his bike in 2 minutes he was going to go out to every single airplane and do an inspection with the intent of failing it for something or another. We were all laughing as he walks out and his bike is sitting in the bike rack scratching his head as to where it was at. It was great!!!

Next