Vision Requirements for Military Pilot

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...

by Zachm024 » 23 Jul 2006, 08:05

Can someone give me the ins and outs of what the military requires for vision if you are going to become a pilot. Im very interested but im pretty sure that they wouldnt let me, because of my eyes. Also what would they say about the lasiks surgery. And if that would qualify.

Also any other information would be greatly apprectiated, im just 17 and still in high school and i think this is something that i would love.

Thank you very much for your time.

by viperman26 » 23 Jul 2006, 18:03

I'm taking a stab at this question, so take all of the info I give you with a grain of salt. Hopefully I can point you in the right direction.

What is exactly wrong with your vision? Near sighted? Far Sighted? Color blind? If you are looking to fly in the USAF try www.baseops.net look in the aviation medicine fourm, if the answers aren't there, then ask the question that pertains to you. FYI, You are still eligible to fly if your vision falls between 20/20 and 20/70 as long as it is correctable to 20/20. Also, the AF, and I'm pretty sure that the Navy, allow PRK corrective eye surgery. Although, it needs to be waivered.

PRK for the USAF taken off of baseops.net:
Max waiverable vision: Uncorrected - 20/200; Corrected - 20/20 each eye
no greater than +/- 3.00 diopters astigmatism in any meridian
Pre-op PRK max waiverable: FCI: -5.50; FCIa: -8.00; FCIII: -8.00

The vision requirements differ from service to service. I know of this site www.airwarriors.com , which is a site for naval aviation.

by Zachm024 » 26 Jul 2006, 07:19

I have no color blindness or stigmatism. I cant see things far away clearly. I cant remember whether thats near of far sighted. But later on down the road like i said i would like to get lasiks and then join and see where it takes me. But that depends on whether or not it will qualify. Im not sure how they rate eyes and what not, but right now both of my contacts are -2.25.
Thanks for your time again.

by Zachm024 » 26 Jul 2006, 07:45

Also if i do get a waiver, does this mean that I will be restricted to fly certain aircraft, also would I wear contacts or glasses, im just a little confused about how the waiver and everything works.

by viperman26 » 02 Aug 2006, 20:39

As far as I know the waiver doesn't restrict you to any certain type of aircraft, also, the AF only allows so many people to get a waiver. And, as far as I know, LASIK is not approved by the AF, PRK is though. (different type of corrective eye surgery). I don't know sh*t about eye sight really, so i wouldnt know if you would be qualified or not. Look at the other sites, I was just trying to send you in the right direction. Good Luck.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by NVGdude » 02 Aug 2006, 20:54

LASIK is a no go for the USAF currently. The fear is that the flap may later detach. PRK is waverable. Also in general, studies have shown that PRK resulst in better final visual acuity over LASIK by a small ammount.

USNavy is currently allowing LASIK for groundpounders (Mariens and Seals) don't know about aviators.

by pafpilot » 02 Aug 2006, 21:30

but right now both of my contacts are -2.25.

If you cant see things far-off, clearly, then its near sightedness.And by the way your number is too much man! -2.25.
May be surgery might help you.Anyway best of luck .I have sight problem as well (-1.00)but i think i am not good enough to be a pilot so i dropped the pilot thing and have decided to go for anything related to aviation
A MiG at you SIX, is better than no MiG at all!!

by viperman26 » 03 Aug 2006, 21:08

pafpilot wrote:And by the way your number is too much man! -2.25.

...I don't know about that. Talk to an expert, i.e. a flight doc. Don't use hear say info to determine your fate as a pilot. Talk to someone who knows, If you really want it, keep pursuing it don't just give up cause someone told you no.

Good Luck.

by luka_jo » 28 May 2009, 11:59

i have + 2,5 on my left eye. can I join USAF academy ?

by thegreekness » 28 May 2009, 19:28

^ you can prolly get a waiver to the Academy, but for pilot qualifications go here: http://wantscheck.com/PilotSlotResource ... fault.aspx

They've got all the conditions and classifications for different aircraft.
Dont take no for an answer though - waivers for certain conditions are not uncommon
"You wanna get out of the way? We're trying to land here..." - Hot Shots

by tjodalv43 » 29 May 2009, 01:56

Amen, just about anything is waiverable except color blindness and poor depth perception. I had PRK in 2006 and passed my FCI in 2008. I was nearsighted and had (have) some esophoria and I still made it so don't give up!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by gbu24loader » 29 May 2009, 04:18

Talk about reviving an old thread. Much has changed now as far as the allowable sugeries for pilots. Lasik and PRK are now both acceptable procedures for ALL USAF pilots. There are of course criteria to be met before and after the surgery but most people should have no problem.

Go here for more info: http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/gr ... CTB_070655

by lincoln78 » 02 Jun 2009, 00:59

Don't even think about getting surgery as a civilian unless you want to be permanantly disqualified. The military accepts pilots with eye surgery but only those on whom they have performed the surgery.

Vision requirements and options have changed over the years. Talk to the people who manage the program. Sometimes you have to take it one step at a time (commit to enlist/commissioning program, etc) and work through the process.

by tjodalv43 » 02 Jun 2009, 05:05

lincoln78 wrote:Don't even think about getting surgery as a civilian unless you want to be permanantly disqualified. The military accepts pilots with eye surgery but only those on whom they have performed the surgery.

This is incorrect, at least in the USAF. As long as you have the right waiver paperwork, getting your surgery as a civilian is totally acceptable. I've got my FCI to prove it! :)

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by silversmok3 » 23 Dec 2010, 16:43

If you want to go the PRK route in the Air Force and youre active duty, listen up.

I spoke to the base optometry doctor last month when I went in for my exam, and according to the Major the way the process works is that the doc compares two sets of eye exam documents to determine the 'stability' of one's eyesight. The exams must be at least 1 calendar year apart, so if you want to set yourself up for sucess.....get an eye exam at least 1 year before you plan on joining the military, and have the records in your hand and available. I screwed myself because my last eye exam was 3 years ago at a Pearle Vision, and since then theyve destroyed their records, so I have to wait another calendar year to have an exam on base so that the doc can do a 'stability comparison ' on my vision.

Once that's done, you go to one of three USAF bases that do the surgery. IF youre lucky in your base assignments, youll get posted somewhere that already has a clinic on base and that way all you have to do is walk in , get the surgery done, then go back to your on-base residence.If youre NOT lucky to get posted at a base with PRK surgety ( IIRC Lackland AFB, USAFA, and Keesler AFB in MS) you will need to take convalescent leave with another person and travel (at your own expense) to one of those bases from where youre posted at and have the PRK surgery done. After that, you then have to wait ANOTHER year before you can apply for a waiver , so as to observe any complications that come up.

Next