Best/Worst TDY location

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...

by PointyHead » 24 Dec 2007, 20:06

I must've missed this earlier.

Best PCS location (as has already been mentioned) was a 4-year extended long tour to Torrejon. My favorite TDY location was Leeuwarden in northern Holland. The coolest little town you'll ever see, populated by 7-foot-tall blonde women. Morocco, Incirlik, and Aviano were also lots of fun.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by viperloader » 24 Dec 2007, 23:12

Incirlik during ONW was my favorite, Okinawa was second, and Combat Hammer at Eglin was the worst. Rainy and cold, and some dude CONSTANTLY breathing down your neck as you try to load, but the beer still flowed like water so it wasn't all bad. Come to think of it, Iraq sucked pretty bad too, but that goes without saying!

by JochemP » 24 Dec 2007, 23:30

Eggroll135R wrote:Worst: PSAB (Prince Sultan Air Base) in Saudi Arabia. Hot, dry and $3.50 per day.

Second worst: Bahrain...Same as above except the chow hall was worst but we (some of us got more :wink: ) got three beers a day.

Best: Turkey during ONW, low workload and lots of drunken times

Panama, low workload CHEAP booze; Bacardi was $3 a fifth

Norway, High per diem, BEAUTIFUL women and some of the friendliest people I've ever met

Panama, beer from $1.00 and up, drinks started from $2.00 rum, gin, whiskey etc, u name it...

by Loader2088 » 25 Dec 2007, 02:55

Best - I haven't seen any mention of Cold Lake, Alberta where Maple Flag is held. I really enjoyed both my TDY's there, other than the billeting, which sucked being in big shared bath trailers with lousy two man rooms. Otherwise, great chow hall, great rec center, nice people and a beautiful summer climate with an awesome lake nearby. Nearby is horseback riding and bike trails. I'd love to have a summer place there.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by VarkVet » 25 Dec 2007, 09:36

Best, Leewarden Holland or Karup Denmark ... Worst PSAB by far
My eyes have seen the glory of the Lord and the esthetics of the Flightline

by Ramski » 27 Dec 2007, 04:02

Loader2088 wrote:Best - I haven't seen any mention of Cold Lake, Alberta where Maple Flag is held. I really enjoyed both my TDY's there, other than the billeting, which sucked being in big shared bath trailers with lousy two man rooms. Otherwise, great chow hall, great rec center, nice people and a beautiful summer climate with an awesome lake nearby. Nearby is horseback riding and bike trails. I'd love to have a summer place there.

I had a blast there in '02 or was it '03?

We had a brand new Ford F-350 4x4 for a rental. :lol: Didn't take us long to find the local 4x4 club there. They took us on some great trails. We must have took it out wheelin' 3 or 4 times. Each time stopping on the way back to take it through a car wash. :roll:
Weapons Loader
Barksdale, Castle, Spang, Luke, Osan, Edwards
B-52G/H, F-4G, F-16CG/CJ, B-1, B-2

by Weasel_Keeper » 27 Dec 2007, 10:04

Worst...Moron AB, Spain. It could have been better, but on the ESTA crew coming back from Iraq during some Spanish holiday when even the car rental place was closed...ugh! It's like a ghost town base that's still nice looking. There was nobody there but a few locals who worked at the base. and the only other USAF people I saw were transient or SPs. It had one thing going for it...the club had $1.75 top shelf cocktails. :)

Best...Louisville ANG, KY. Spent a week there for Thunder Over Louisville airshow 07...treated like rock stars by the base and the city.
Cave Putorium!
SoWW #2485

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Slimm » 27 Dec 2007, 13:30

Woe to anyone having to go fix a Viper at Barksdale. Bomber-base mentality (and AGE) didn't quite fit w/ F-16s, and they didn't even know how to spell F.O.D. We literally found giant screws ALL over the transient ramp, and when we showed the locals what we picked up, they treated it as an, "Oh well". Shreveport also wasn't "all that".

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by asiatrails » 27 Dec 2007, 16:34

Worst - Korea - Winter Ops - December - In tents - R314 - near Hwachon

by SixerViper » 27 Dec 2007, 19:38

Worst--Panama in 1983--almost got tossed in one of Noriega's jails--swore I'd never go back if I got out of that banana republic. Never been back!! However, on-base life and "show time" were awesome! Overall, that TDY was good. I just got the sh*t scared out of me by the Guardia Nacionale.

Best--Hmmmmm--Curaçao, Eglin, Evenes, Cold Lake, Incirlik, Vegas, Gulfport, Savannah, Tucson, Moron (got "stuck" in Spain en route to Al Udeid--lemme tell ya that really sucked! NOT!!!), Tyndall, Myrtle Beach. The list goes on and on!! They were all good.

I would recommend that everybody sample Minot AFB ND in the winter time. It's something everybody oughta have to go through!! :lol:
F-106A/B '69-'73
F-105D/F '73-'81
A-7D/K '81-'91
F-16C/D '91-'05
SCUBA bum '05-Present

by TJSmitty » 27 Dec 2007, 21:11

The BEST TDY was while I was at Kunsan, we had a jet divert into Hickham in Hawaii, so they sent three of us a CC, a HYD guy, and me the pointy-head to go fix the jet. We get there and they determine its an bad ADG, Kunsan orders one and it's going to be a week before they can get it to us...
Everyday we call base ops and ask did the part show up...no... OK we're staying at the Hale Koa (military hotel right on the beach) on Waikiki call us if it shows up. After a week on the beach I really didn't want to go back to the Kun...

Some of the TDY's to Clark in the PI were pretty good, too... But the statute of limitations hasn't run out on those, so, officially I don't recall what happened there :D :lol: :D :lol:

Smitty
Tim Smith
Avionics '81 - present
F-16 A/B/C/D
F-111D FB-111A
F-15A/B
F-22A
F-18E/F & G
Wedgetail

by falconfxr_ee » 27 Dec 2007, 22:12

Best TDY: Zaragoza, Turkey, Cold Lake and Key West

Wosrt TDY: Seymore Johnson, Cherry Point MCAS

But even a bad TDY is good with enough cold beer!!!
falconfxr_ee
1987-Present
Moody,Hahn.King Salmon, Luke, Kirtland, Luke Reserve, L3 Vertex (Iraq)

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Purplehaze » 27 Dec 2007, 23:04

PointyHead wrote:I must've missed this earlier.

Best PCS location (as has already been mentioned) was a 4-year extended long tour to Torrejon. My favorite TDY location was Leeuwarden in northern Holland. The coolest little town you'll ever see, populated by 7-foot-tall blonde women. Morocco, Incirlik, and Aviano were also lots of fun.

Now I know why you didn't want to come home from there and kept asking for more parts that you knew we didn't have......LOL......I guess you were smarter then I was Larry........glad you enjoyed it!!!!!!!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by a1378 » 28 Dec 2007, 01:00

Jordan was by far my worst, The worst thing was the food I lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks there,not to mention the tiny little cubes you had to live in and the jordainian shitter were horrendus.

Best probably Norway that place was awesome, people were great and females were very pretty, Scotland was cool also

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ACMIguy » 28 Dec 2007, 16:38

Worst: PSAB or any where near it!!!!

Best: Any where in Holland, Nellis in the winter or spring, Tyndall, Zaragoza, Turkey ONW.

I was stationed at CNA, the best place on earth hands down. Nellis is great for about a week, but you have to have a car and you have to know when to hold them and when to fold em.
Turkey was fantastic every trip we made. I will always remember Castle by the Sea!

PreviousNext