Air Force Skills on a Resume

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...

by AmmoCapt » 17 May 2006, 17:42

As I am quite sure you are all aware, I need to dust off my Resume (I suggest you all update yours as well since its good to have it ready).

Anyhow, I was writing down some of my skills/abilities, and after I got past writing that I have been a Snack-O expert and that sort of thing, I got to thinking (a stretch I know).

Anyhow, I was wondering how we can translate some of the training that we have done into things to put on a resume.

An example is how we could write the fact that we took our IAAT (Information Security) and write it in civilian terms.

I would like to create something of a data-base here where we can list the things that we do in every day Air Force life that might be useful in the outside world.

Another example of this would be those of us who give crew briefings each day, or brief the squadron, could call that ability public speaking. That sort of thing.

Chime in if you have any! :thanks:

by Lurch » 17 May 2006, 18:05

Just some things on my resume:

F-16 Tactical Aircraft Technician, United State Air Force August 1989 - November 1993
• Completed routine and unscheduled inspections, repairs, maintenance,
troubleshooting, and servicing on tactical aircraft hydraulic, jet engine,
pneumatic and mechanical systems.
• Crew Chief to the 307th FS Commander’s aircraft.
• 1992 307th FS Maintenance Professional of the Year.
• Three USAF Achievement Medals/Gulf War Veteran.
• Honor Graduate through BMT/Technical School.
Crew Chief
Torrejon 614th Lucky Devils 87-0248
Homestead/Moody 307th Stingers 89-2054 (Comander's CC)

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JoeSambor » 17 May 2006, 21:31

MPF can send you to a web site where you can get all of your military training, AFSC, skill level, etc. translated into "civilianese" in a nice package. They used to make the web site available publicly but not any more.

Unfortunately, your military accomplishments such as decorations, honors won, do not impress many civilian employers, who usually have no idea what these honors or ribbons mean. Best bet is MPF for that form, and tailor your resume to the employer. We could probably start a whole new thread about resumes.

Interestingly enough, a lot of the old rules don't apply any more, like one-page resumes. Your resume should make them want to read the whole thing. I don't have my resume on this computer but I will post it if anyone is interested. I am not saying I have a fabulous resume, but it got me hired!

Best Regards,
Joe Sambor
LM Aero Field Service Engineer
Woensdrecht Logistics Center, The Netherlands

by VarkViper » 18 May 2006, 07:14

If you go to a TAP seminar they will give you the sheet /site, or you can Google this "verification of military experience and training". That will get you to the site. It should come up as the first selection.

by Arctus » 18 May 2006, 11:20

Gents here is my current resume'

Feel free to plagarize as needed

Your Name
1234 Your Street, Your Town, Your State & Zipcode
Residence: Your Phone
Your Email Address

OBJECTIVE: A growth opportunity with a company looking for a dynamic leader and skilled manager who can develop a world-class private flight equipment department.

AVIATION SAFTY EQUIPMENT & TRAINING MANAGEMENT
Secret Security Clearance / Leadership / Strategic Planning / Risk Management
Hazmat-OSHA / Production / Quality / Training

Proven leader with demonstrated abilities to achieve organizational goals in a cost-effective manner. Managed operations, training, and inventory of multi-million dollar systems. Directed inspection, assembly, quality and distribution of flight and survival equipment worldwide. Developed quality assurance, risk management, and technical compliance programs. Skilled at training and developing cross-functional operations teams. Versed in Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.

SELECTED ACHIEVEMENTS

Leadership: Lauded for overhauling and revitalizing failing work centers. Led “marginal” life support shops to “best seen to date” and “excellent” ratings in 2002 and 2004 during formal USAF inspections.

Management: Directed inspection and maintenance activities, replacement part forecasts, and operating budgets for $2.6M of survival, rescue, flight safety and disaster response equipment. Streamlined data collection for quarterly status reports to Congress—saved over 200 man-hours annually. Oversaw testing and integration of new systems and technology.

Organization: Authored regulation supplements encompassing operating instructions, maintenance standards and contingencies. Improved and standardized re-stocking and tool control procedures between similar work centers—eliminated redundancies and ensured 100% accountability.

Quality Assurance: Oversaw the scheduling, inspection and documentation of over 5000 military flight safety items. Devised and implemented trend analysis matrices that reduced reportable discrepancies by half in 6 months and by 80% in the first year. Utilized trend data to improve employee training.

Training: Managed upgrade & continuation training for 110 personnel from 7 work centers. Developed master training plans and evaluation standards based on job requirements. Conducted hands-on training, and classroom instruction. Certified other trainers and instructors.

Safety: Organized and managed several safety programs. Monitored inventory and storage of hazardous materials, chemicals and explosives. Ensured full compliance with federal Hazardous Communication requirements for training and the proper use of personal protective equipment by employees.

Your Name
Page 2

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

Doyon Universal Services, 2005

Security Officer, Atigun Pass, AK Aug 2005 - Present
Patrol, guard and protect assigned section of Trans-Alaska Pipeline System. Maintain database for tracking personnel on and off station. Conduct head-counts during drills and emergency alarms. Conduct personal property and vehicle searches. Emergency trauma first-responder.

United States Air Force, 1984-2005

Aviation Safety Systems Superintendent – Eielson, AK, 2002 - 2005
• Lauded for overhauling critical mission support. Energy and expertise credited with averting suspension of all flying operations at Eielson Air Force Base. Achieved 100% operational capability, and regulatory compliance 180 days ahead of allotted time.
• Coordinated multiple annual operating budgets, procurement plans, maintenance and training forecasts in excess of $500K, and improved reporting protocols for system failures, materiel, and procedural deficiencies. Reduced average back-order wait time by 25%.
• Provided mentorship to subordinate section managers and supervisors. Established training performance standards and measurement criteria. Increased employee competence, reduced follow-on maintenance costs, and improved product quality and customer satisfaction.

Aviation Safety Section Manager – Mountain Home, ID & Elmendorf, AK, 1997 - 2002
• Lauded by Command Superintendent for leading under-performing work center from “Worst to First” (#1 out of 5 like-sections) and “among the very best in the Command”.
• Supervised maintenance of all protective clothing and survival systems associated with modern fighter aircraft. Established and monitored workload, training, travel, and vacation schedules for six subordinates. Task certifier and lead quality-assurance inspector.
• Established stock-levels and budget requirements for tools, spare parts and supplies. Developed operating budget and oversaw expenditures of $200K+ per annum. Administered equipment service records, technical manuals, regulations and employee training records.
• Conducted performance feedback sessions and annual employee evaluations. Implemented performance and safety standards. Aggressively pursued formal recognition for employees.

EDUCATION
Pursuing a Bachelor of Science, Occupational Education - Management
Wayland Baptist University. (Within 30 semester hours of completion)

Organizational Management Training and Education
• USAF Senior NCO Academy Correspondence Course, Eielson, Alaska 2003
• Air Combat Command Life Support Program Managers Course, Abilene, Texas 2003
• USAF Non-commissioned Officers Academy, San Angelo, Texas 1999

SUPPLEMENTAL QUALIFICATIONS
State of Alaska licensed armed security guard
State of Alaska certified Emergency Trauma Technician

In my case I refer to my AF job as Aviation Safety and not Life Support--its more civilian
Talk about your soft skills and scope of responsibility ans use dollar amounts. Empahsize decision making and leadership in a fluid environment.

I found the process very similar to writing EPR bullets and 1206's
354 FW Eielson 02-05
389 FS Mtn Home 99-02
54 & 90 FS Elmendorf 91-99
479 TTW Holloman 84-91

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 18 May 2006, 15:29

Nice Resume Arctus - This works sometimes too (different style) -

BIOGRAPHY

UNITED STATES AIR FORCE, CIVIL SERVICE EMPLOYEE
Air Force Material Command
Foreign Disclosure Office, Capabilities & Programs Branch
OO-ALC/XPRP, Hill Air Force Base, Utah 84056-5017
http://www.hill.af.mil/main/units/84CSW/FDO.html

THOMAS W. WHARTON

As a Foreign Disclosure Officer, Mr. Wharton technically directs the actions to develop, interpret, and implement policies and give procedural guidance as well as exercise staff surveillance in the Foreign Disclosure Policy Office. His office develops, implements the program directives and provides logistic/technical guidance while initiating investigations of suspected violations of the National Disclosure Policy. This position has a critical bearing upon USAF relations with foreign governments. Decisions made by the Foreign Disclosure Office and actions taken could result in serious security or diplomatic compromise involving the Commander of the ALC, AFMC or USAF. Mr. Wharton possesses an extensive aircraft maintenance background as well as a working knowledge of Financial Management, Supply, Maintenance, Engineering, and Procurement functions. These talents, coupled with technical knowledge of equipment and Tactical Fighter Weapons Systems Technical Orders, make Tom a true Air Force asset. His knowledge of policies and procedures governing disclosure of classified information and release of equipment to foreign governments demands he demonstrate a high degree of tact, diplomacy and initiative.

EDUCATION
• Bachelor of Science, University of Maryland
• AOS Degree, Associate in Occupational Studies, Aviation Management, CCAF
• Community College of the Air Force, European Division, Applied Technologies
• Aerospace Management Certificate, University of Maryland
• Private Pilot / Ground School, Brazos Air Inc., McGregor Regional Airport, Waco, Texas
• USAF Senior Leadership Quality Force School, RAF Lakenheath, Suffolk, United Kingdom
• USAF Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Gunter AFB, Alabama
• USAF Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Kapone Air Base, Germany
• USAF Non-Commissioned Officer Leadership School, Nellis AFB, Nevada
• USAF Non-Commissioned Officer Supervisors School, RAF Bentwaters, United Kingdom
• Northrop Grumman, Project Management Fundamentals Course, Layton, Utah
• Northrop Grumman, Project Management, Financial Management Course, Layton, Utah

CIVILIAN CAREER CHRONOLOGY – Security Status - Secret / ANCI / 30 Dec 2005
• August 2003 to present, AFMC Foreign Disclosure Officer, 75th ABW, Plans and Programs Directorate, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
• August 2003 to August 2004, F-16, C-130 and A-10, Quality Assurance Aircraft Inspector, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
• September 1998 to August 2003, Senior Systems Project Officer, FMS F-16 Aircraft Landing Gear Regeneration Program Manager, USAF F-16 Heavyweight Aircraft Landing Gear Program Manager, F-16 Fuels System Program Manager, B1B Senior Systems Analysis, Northrop Grumman Information Technology, Layton, Utah
• November 1996 to September 1998, F-16 Depot Mechanic, Aircraft Repair Enhancement Program (AREP) Team Member, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
• February 1996 to November 1996, Cessna Aircraft Salesman and Pilot, Waco, Texas

MILITARY CARRER CHRONOLOGY
• August 1991 to February 1996, (492nd FS), F-111F, Maintenance Superintendent, F-15E Strike Eagle, Conversion Team Chief (492nd FS), F-15 C/D, Conversion Team Chief (493rd FS), Air Combat Maneuvering Instrumentation Theater (ACMI) Director (493rd FS), Maintenance Superintendent (493rd FS), Maintenance Superintendent (492nd FS) and Chief of Quality Assurance, Royal Air Force Base Lakenheath, Suffolk, United Kingdom.
• August 1988 to August 1991, USAF Thunderbirds, F-16 Production Superintendent, Chief of Quality Assurance and Maintenance Thunderbird Line Chief.
o Note: In 1990, Tom was selected to serve with the US Navy Blue Angels as a USAF Maintenance Liaison
• August 1985 to August 1988, (310th) AMU, F-16 APG Flight Chief and Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge, (314th) AMU, 12th Air Force, F16 Flight Demonstration Team
• June 1982 to August 1985, (10th) AMU, F-16 APG, Flight Chief and Senior Controller for Maintenance Operations, Hahn Air Base, Germany
• June 1980 to June 1982, (429th) AMU, F4 Phantom, Flight Line Expeditor and F-16 Crew Chief, Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, Nevada
• January 1977 to January 1980, (78th) FS, F4 Phantom, 91st FS, A-10 Crew Chief, Royal Air Force Base Bentwaters, Suffolk, United Kingdom
• November 1975 to January 1977, In-Flight Tow Target Operator (Flying Status), Edwards AFB, California
• June 1972 to November 1975, (492nd) FS, F4 Phantom, Aircraft Crew Chief, Royal Air Force Base Lakenheath, Suffolk, United Kingdom
• March 1971 to April 1972, 1st Test Squadron, F4 Phantom, Aircraft Crew Chief and UH1B Door Gunner, Danang Air Base, Vietnam
• June 1970 to March 1971, 1st Test Squadron, F4 Phantom, Aircraft Crew Chief, Clark AFB, Republic of the Philippines
• March 1970 to June 1970, Aircraft Maintenance Technical School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
• January 1970 to March 1970, USAF, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

by Arctus » 19 May 2006, 04:29

Meathook,
Since you're at Hill...one of my protege's is inbound to the 388th. He's a shiny new Master and tapped to be the new Life Support Superintendent. His name is Matt Freeman. A bit of a fast burner so he's young BUT he's very sharp.

In case you run into him....
354 FW Eielson 02-05
389 FS Mtn Home 99-02
54 & 90 FS Elmendorf 91-99
479 TTW Holloman 84-91

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 19 May 2006, 18:59

Thanks, if I see him, I'll say hello...if you want, tell him to call me - 801-586-1387 work number
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

by shafeer123 » 05 Jun 2010, 10:47

:)

by dirtyd0 » 16 Aug 2010, 21:42

i was having the same problem trying to write a resume i had no idea where to start if there is anymore info other than what is already here that you guys could share it would be a life saver. i'm an aircraft fuel systems mechanic. thanks!!!!

by vegasdave901 » 17 Aug 2010, 01:15

I would think listening for and responding to a RWR would qualify one for working the french fryer?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by rupp05 » 17 Aug 2010, 05:13

Meathook wrote:Nice Resume Arctus - This works sometimes too (different style) -

BIOGRAPHY

UNITED STATES AIR FORCE, CIVIL SERVICE EMPLOYEE
Air Force Material Command
Foreign Disclosure Office, Capabilities & Programs Branch
OO-ALC/XPRP, Hill Air Force Base, Utah 84056-5017
http://www.hill.af.mil/main/units/84CSW/FDO.html

THOMAS W. WHARTON

As a Foreign Disclosure Officer, Mr. Wharton technically directs the actions to develop, interpret, and implement policies and give procedural guidance as well as exercise staff surveillance in the Foreign Disclosure Policy Office. His office develops, implements the program directives and provides logistic/technical guidance while initiating investigations of suspected violations of the National Disclosure Policy. This position has a critical bearing upon USAF relations with foreign governments. Decisions made by the Foreign Disclosure Office and actions taken could result in serious security or diplomatic compromise involving the Commander of the ALC, AFMC or USAF. Mr. Wharton possesses an extensive aircraft maintenance background as well as a working knowledge of Financial Management, Supply, Maintenance, Engineering, and Procurement functions. These talents, coupled with technical knowledge of equipment and Tactical Fighter Weapons Systems Technical Orders, make Tom a true Air Force asset. His knowledge of policies and procedures governing disclosure of classified information and release of equipment to foreign governments demands he demonstrate a high degree of tact, diplomacy and initiative.

EDUCATION
• Bachelor of Science, University of Maryland
• AOS Degree, Associate in Occupational Studies, Aviation Management, CCAF
• Community College of the Air Force, European Division, Applied Technologies
• Aerospace Management Certificate, University of Maryland
• Private Pilot / Ground School, Brazos Air Inc., McGregor Regional Airport, Waco, Texas
• USAF Senior Leadership Quality Force School, RAF Lakenheath, Suffolk, United Kingdom
• USAF Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Gunter AFB, Alabama
• USAF Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Kapone Air Base, Germany
• USAF Non-Commissioned Officer Leadership School, Nellis AFB, Nevada
• USAF Non-Commissioned Officer Supervisors School, RAF Bentwaters, United Kingdom
• Northrop Grumman, Project Management Fundamentals Course, Layton, Utah
• Northrop Grumman, Project Management, Financial Management Course, Layton, Utah

CIVILIAN CAREER CHRONOLOGY – Security Status - Secret / ANCI / 30 Dec 2005
• August 2003 to present, AFMC Foreign Disclosure Officer, 75th ABW, Plans and Programs Directorate, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
• August 2003 to August 2004, F-16, C-130 and A-10, Quality Assurance Aircraft Inspector, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
• September 1998 to August 2003, Senior Systems Project Officer, FMS F-16 Aircraft Landing Gear Regeneration Program Manager, USAF F-16 Heavyweight Aircraft Landing Gear Program Manager, F-16 Fuels System Program Manager, B1B Senior Systems Analysis, Northrop Grumman Information Technology, Layton, Utah
• November 1996 to September 1998, F-16 Depot Mechanic, Aircraft Repair Enhancement Program (AREP) Team Member, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
• February 1996 to November 1996, Cessna Aircraft Salesman and Pilot, Waco, Texas

MILITARY CARRER CHRONOLOGY
• August 1991 to February 1996, (492nd FS), F-111F, Maintenance Superintendent, F-15E Strike Eagle, Conversion Team Chief (492nd FS), F-15 C/D, Conversion Team Chief (493rd FS), Air Combat Maneuvering Instrumentation Theater (ACMI) Director (493rd FS), Maintenance Superintendent (493rd FS), Maintenance Superintendent (492nd FS) and Chief of Quality Assurance, Royal Air Force Base Lakenheath, Suffolk, United Kingdom.
• August 1988 to August 1991, USAF Thunderbirds, F-16 Production Superintendent, Chief of Quality Assurance and Maintenance Thunderbird Line Chief.
o Note: In 1990, Tom was selected to serve with the US Navy Blue Angels as a USAF Maintenance Liaison
• August 1985 to August 1988, (310th) AMU, F-16 APG Flight Chief and Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge, (314th) AMU, 12th Air Force, F16 Flight Demonstration Team
• June 1982 to August 1985, (10th) AMU, F-16 APG, Flight Chief and Senior Controller for Maintenance Operations, Hahn Air Base, Germany
• June 1980 to June 1982, (429th) AMU, F4 Phantom, Flight Line Expeditor and F-16 Crew Chief, Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, Nevada
• January 1977 to January 1980, (78th) FS, F4 Phantom, 91st FS, A-10 Crew Chief, Royal Air Force Base Bentwaters, Suffolk, United Kingdom
• November 1975 to January 1977, In-Flight Tow Target Operator (Flying Status), Edwards AFB, California
• June 1972 to November 1975, (492nd) FS, F4 Phantom, Aircraft Crew Chief, Royal Air Force Base Lakenheath, Suffolk, United Kingdom
• March 1971 to April 1972, 1st Test Squadron, F4 Phantom, Aircraft Crew Chief and UH1B Door Gunner, Danang Air Base, Vietnam
• June 1970 to March 1971, 1st Test Squadron, F4 Phantom, Aircraft Crew Chief, Clark AFB, Republic of the Philippines
• March 1970 to June 1970, Aircraft Maintenance Technical School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
• January 1970 to March 1970, USAF, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas

I like the way yours flows, Hook. Very clean and to the point.

by brad12 » 11 Oct 2010, 13:29

I have also same opinion that your resume should be updated on regular interval..

by Davis83 » 12 Oct 2010, 02:28

Tailor your resume to the position you are applying for: example - If applying for a maintenance job, then show off your maintenance education and experience.

· Feb 1994. Turbofan engine blade blend course (8.0 hrs)
· Jan 1994. General Electrics F-110 engine bore-scope course (16.0 hrs)
· Jul 1993. General Electrics F-110 Engine Organizational Maintenance course (82.0 hrs)
· Sept 1991. Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-220 Engine Organizational Maintenance course (78.0 hrs)
· Jun 1191. Aircraft Pneudraulic Systems course (78.0 hrs)
· Feb 1990. Pratt & Whitney F100 Engine Organizational Maintenance course (112.0 hrs)

Think about some of those other courses that you suffered through like:

·Environmental, Safety, Occupational Health, Compliance Assessment and Management Program Course.
·Resource Conservation & Recovery course
·Customer Service Provider Course - - - this one from the infamous "Quality AF" of the 90's

Did you ever have HAZCOM? if so, add it

Sometimes simple works:
My simple resume which landed my current job:

Objective
Obtain a position where I can contribute to the success and productivity of an organization.

Summary of Qualifications
Hands-on professional with proven track record of accomplishment. Clean driving record, currently possess Class A CDL learners permit. Forklift qualified up to 10K including All Terrain forklift. Experience in managing equipment and supplies. Maintained materials in warehouse and prepared items for shipping by air or ground. Experience using Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel. Major strengths include ability to learn new tasks, strong team player, communication skills, trust worthy and ability to make decisions.

Professional Experience
Aircraft Maintenance Technician/Supervisor – to include support functions. U.S. Air Force 1983-present
· 2004-2006. Directly supervised 12 intermediate level aircraft mechanics with overall responsibility for 65 maintainers of various levels of experience and training. Reviewed/coordinated maintenance plans and schedules to meet operational commitments. Administrative duties included scheduling work shifts and training opportunities. Extensive use of Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel programs.
· 1998-2004. Team member/Supervisor responsible for management oversight of maintenance facilities, vehicle fleet maintenance and personnel/cargo logistics. Inventoried, ordered, maintained and issued government property. Maintained accountability and monitored shelf life of Nuclear, Biological and Chemical suits. Prepared and loaded assigned equipment for rapid shipping world- wide.
· 1983-1998. Troubleshoot/inspect/remove/repair/maintain aircraft structures, pneudraulic and engine systems components. Conduct functional tests of repaired components. Document and review maintenance actions and make recommendations to improve reliability of systems.

General Construction laborer. King Awning Construction Co. 1982-1983
·General laborer assisting in the construction and installation of large awnings. Basic experience with concrete, wiring and welding as a helper.

Applicable Education and Training
·Class “A” Commercial dl Learners Permit.
·Environmental, Safety, Occupational Health, Compliance Assessment and Management Program Course. Aug 2003
·Resource Conservation & Recovery course. March 2000
·Customer Service Provider Course. Oct 1999
·Jun 1983. Graduated South Brunswick High School, Southport NC.
City Of Goldsboro Public Utilities
614AMU,17AMU,77FS,51OSS,20OSS,51MXG,336FS
F-16 blk 15/25/42/50. F-15E

by brad12 » 19 Jan 2011, 06:12

you can find out no of tips for resume here. I am wondering for cover letter information. What's the Best Way to Make Sure my Cover Letter is Well-Written and on Target?

<a href="http://www.technicalresumes.org/">technical resume</a>
Brad John

Next