Marine MV-22 Pilot to ANG

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...

by phrost_bite » 07 Jan 2017, 23:44

I am currently a Marine MV-22 Osprey Pilot. I love flying the Osprey and I love being a Marine. However the fleet has been tough on my wife and kids and I'm not sure if my family will be able to take another 13 years of this before I retire. My initial commitment will be complete in a couple of years and I am considering applying to one of the Air National Guard Unit at my home state which operate F-16 and C-130s. I've done some research on the transition process, however I've been unable to find specific answers as to how the ANG will look at my Tilt-Rotor time in regards to UPT. From what I can tell CV-22 pilots only fly the T-6 and UH-1 in flight training. However in the Marines we also do a syllabus very similar to the C-130 pilots in the C-12. I imagine I would head straight to the training squadron for the Herc if hired. As far as the F-16 goes, would I even be considered for the position? If so and if I am able to get hired will I be required to do the full UPT syllabus and meet the age requirement (I'll be 33 at the time of my EAS)?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by durahawk » 08 Jan 2017, 15:02

Phrost_bite, I can't answer your questions directly but I would recommend checking out baseops.net. They have a nice guide for "Gold to Silver" transitions here: https://www.baseops.net/wp-content/uplo ... Silver.pdf

They also have an associated forum http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/fo ... -aviation/ the folks in the the ANG & Reserve section can probably help you out with your remaining questions.

Best of luck to you!

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 11 Jan 2017, 20:29

PMed you. check your inbox, Mac.
Choose Crews