How many "Vets" do we have here

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 25 Apr 2006, 17:19

I was wondering, with all the subject matter experts and folks interested in aviation, what campaigns or outright war operations have you been involved with, what dates, location (if you can mention it)...just wondering who the forum is made up of.

What branch of service? Country you from? What aircraft you have flown or worked (maintained).

I just thought it would be nice to see who did what and when.

I'll start.....

US Air Force - Active Duty - Oct 1969 to Feb 1996
  • Aircraft worked on or flown in (duty related)
  • F4C/D/E and RF4C (Crew Chief and Tow Target Operator, Flying Status)
  • A-10 (Crew Chief)
  • F-16A/B/C/D (Crew Chief, Expediter, Flight Chief, Production Superintendent, Line Chief - Thunderbirds included)
  • T-38 (Joy Ride only)
  • F-111 (Production Superintendent)
  • F-15C/D and F15E (Production Superintendent, Maintenance Superintendent)
  • UH1B/C (Door Gunner, Air Rescue)
  • Jolly Greens (Door Gunner, Air Rescue) (Drone Recovery)
  • C-47 (Deployment - TDY Ride)
  • C-118 (Deployment - TDY Ride)
  • C5 (Deployment)
  • C-130 (Deployment - Blue Angel Ride and Transportation)
  • C-141 (Deployment)
  • C-17 (Deployment - TDY Ride)
  • EC-130 (War Campaign Bosnia)
  • F-14 (Joy Rides - Blue Angels)
  • F-18 (Joy Rides - Blue Angels)
  • KC-10 (Deployment)
Campaigns (including war) involved directly or supported the effort:
  • Vietnam 1971 to 1972 Danang (In Country)
  • Gulf War 1991 (Support)
  • Bosnia (No Fly Zone) 1993 to 1994 (In Country)
  • Bosnia 2002 to 2003 (Civilian support - F-16 Aircraft)
I was wondering what you folks have done or where you have been, I bet we have some very interesting folks in this forum...Thanks

I think it would be great reading for us all...
Salute.

by blk40crewdawg » 25 Apr 2006, 21:45

geez SMSgt (ret) Meathook,

I doubt any of us will have a duty history anywhere close to yours. Makes it kind of intimidating to post anything... I'm sure I speak for a lot of folks when I say that I wish I was in the right place at the right time. Looks like you were. Looks like you covered just about everything in your 26 year career. Thank you for your service.

Here's mine:
  • Sept 01 - Dec 02 Operation Noble Eagle (usually monthly at Cannon AFB, NM)
  • Dec 02 - Mar 03 Operation Southern Watch (Ahmed Al Jaber AB, Kuwait)
  • Mar 03 - May 03 Operation Iraqi Freedom (Ahmed Al Jaber AB, Kuwait)
  • May 03 - Mar 05 ONE off and on again at Cannon
Been in since 99 and worked USAF F-16's (Blks 30, 40 & 50) the whole time

Two incentives in an F-16DG

TDY's to Cold Lake (2), Nellis (10), Tyndall (1), Barksdale (1), Dyess (1), Luke (1), Amarillo (1)

I'm now a Instructor teaching the F-16 3 lvl course (teaching off of blk 10 and 15's)

by ghettobird » 26 Apr 2006, 01:21

Wow, mines smaller in comparison yet..

Aug 95- July 99 time in service all spent on -16's blks 40 & 30

April 96- April 98 Aviano AB Italy 31st FW 555th FS. Operations Deliberate Guard, Decisive Endeavour, Deliberate Forge, Silver Wake, and probably a few others I can't even remember.

April 98- July 99 Cannon AFB New Mexico, 27th FW 522nd FS. Operations Southern Watch & Desert Fox Ahmed Al Jaber AB Kuwait.

Weather cancelled incentive flight from 90-0800 with 555th.

TDY's to Istrada AB Italy, Nellis AFB Nevada, MacDill AFB Florida, Decimomannu AB Sardinia Italy, Zaragosa AB Spain, Rota NAS Spain, Ahmed Al Jaber AB Kuwait, & Ramstein AB Germany.
If it aint broke dont fix it, and yes Sir its supposed to leak like that ;)

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 26 Apr 2006, 01:38

Guys, guys...please don't feel that way, I do not mean it to be a contest at all. I knew that the backgrounds on us all would be different yet similar in many ways. I was very lucky (I know that and I am thankful for it) but you all do amazing work as well, look at the locations you have been at already..amazing and noteworthy indeed. Some are just starting out, world events, timing, career fields all play a major role in what we do or where we do it. I salute you experiences, look at what you have done already in these very trying and stressful times....amazing and dangerous..I salute you all and cant wait to see some of the other folks and there wide range of experience too, we are all subject matter experts and all warriors of a sort. If you ever have or still do wear the uniform defending your nation (what ever nation that may be)...I salute your honor and pride...well done gents, well done...very cool locations too....signed - The meathook (Thunderbird nick name).

later boys others, please join in....I love what you all have done too.
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 26 Apr 2006, 01:44

Ghettobird and Blk40crewdawg....way cool TDY's I know you both enjoyed yourselves.

I too have been to many of them same locations (had a blast there too) and still miss them today..do me a favor, if you kick back a few, toast one up for me will ya, I wish I still in the field turning and burning with you fellows...Salute
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 26 Apr 2006, 01:44

Ghettobird and Blk40crewdawg....way cool TDY's I know you both enjoyed yourselves.

I too have been to many of them same locations (had a blast there too) and still miss them today..do me a favor, if you kick back a few, toast one up for me will ya, I wish I still in the field turning and burning with you fellows...Salute

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Raptor_DCTR » 26 Apr 2006, 01:58

Meathook.....Very VERY impressive. Congratulations on your very illustrious career. Did you ever make Chief?? Did you hold any command positions? CCC or anything like that?

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 26 Apr 2006, 02:21

Nope, but I made Staff twice (that count), punched out a Msgt (cop) for pushing my (then) active duty wife who was pregnant (we both got stripes removed) for that event.

The USAF did not forgive me for that one even with my so-called "great awards and assignments" but I did earn it and went a bit overboard during that fight.

Held the positions as Maintenance Superintendent twice but just never got the pay. I created a fighter squadron from scratch, the 493rs FS (f-15C/d's) back in 1993, they got three MIG kills in Bosnia..very cool bunch of folks, my best ever (in peacetime).

Then took over the 492nd FS, F-15E's, went to Bosnia with them (kicked a$$ too). But I always had a small problem with my temper after Nam (fast to fight, not always o smart), took years to calm down and just when I did, some jerk cop pushed my wife into the dirt as part of an exercise. I saw it and nailed him, then got nailed myself months later (UCMJ). But I took my medicine and pressed on with pride.

Won more awards and medals that I thought I should, even had dinner with (then) President Reagan (One of the 12 Outstanding Airmen of the USAF in 1987), still did not make "chief" in pay but to me it was always more then money anyway.

I believed then and now, take care of the troops they will take care of you...must be true, it worked for me. I had more folks at my going away party in USAFE then folks I knew existed, from all over the world, guys flew in for me, it was amazing...that was my going away present and I loved it, would not have had it any other way.

Funny thing is, I made Msgt and SMSgt the first time, even then, it was hard but the Article 15...was a real bad nightmare, could not shake it...oh well...it was still a blast.

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 27 Apr 2006, 00:39

Worked as an Aircrew Life Support technician, AF Reserve 1999-2003. Worked computers as a Civie Contractor 03-05.

A/C I worked around: F-15C/D, and F-16C/D Blk. 30s. Worked computers with LM in support of the F-22 program. Was on the tarmac at Tyndall to watch Raptor #018 touch down to become the first jet of the 43rd FS.

Received rides in the Tweety Bird, Viper, and the Herc.

Did not serve in combat. Came in a little late for Kosovo, and already had my DOS before OIF. However, we did fly Noble Eagle missions, and my unit provided support for USSOUTHCOM. With people still working in that capacity, that's as far into that as I should go.

I received my Honorable Discharge in the mail, at the same time I was watching "Shock and Awe" on the tv. I really wanted to cry, but at the same time, I knew I was getting out with two goals in mind, one of which was to receive my Bachelor's Degree, which I did. One of the proudest moments of my life was becoming the first person in my family to graduate from college.

Now, I'm trying my d@mndest to get back in as a brown bar. I always wanted to fly, but if that only turns out to be a pipe dream, that is ok as well. As long as I'm doing something in direct support of Ops (i.e., Intel or Maintenance) I will be happy. Just being in at this point is what I want to do. I'll worry about my AFSC later. Right now, I just want the blue uniform and the LT bars. The rest is just little details.

Beers and MiGs were made to be pounded!

by vinnie » 27 Apr 2006, 01:32

Yep, sounds just like an AF cop. Saw some bad incidents with the cops at fault. Even had an A1C threaten the 80th CC for peeing on the arch before he strapped in. The cop didn't like it when we told him to get out of the way or get sucked into the intake! Oh , MacDill, The Kun, MacDill and Moody. blks10,30 and 40. Got an incentive flight while TDY to Miramar, bad weather and flew real close(Almost hit) to the rocks on San Clemente island. We wrapped it up and flew back. Regret never getting in to USAFE.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by akruse21 » 27 Apr 2006, 01:51

spent 4 years at tyndall in the 1st FS, had hard copy orders to go to allied force but it ended before i got there :) Spent 5 months in the desert with kadena's 67th for OSW which then became OIF which then became sit by the pool and wait for a ride home because there was no war left for us C models.

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by TC » 27 Apr 2006, 03:30

akruse21 wrote:sit by the pool and wait for a ride home because there was no war left for us C models.

It's too bad the Foxtrottin' pu$$ies had to go and bury their planes...:roll:

Beers and MiGs were made to be pounded!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by akruse21 » 27 Apr 2006, 07:50

Yeah, we flew around the clock when it kicked off for about 1 week. Then the CC came down and decided we were using too much gas :)

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 27 Apr 2006, 12:16

Great to read the stories and adventures, sometimes, it is a bit easier on us then other times during the tour. I know how some of you feel when you say you feel you missed out on something worthy (operation or deployment), wishing you were part of it.

Happened to me many times too (you never get used to it, least I dont think so). It is cool to read your remarks and see the areas you visited...the Air Force (or whatever service) sure provides some fun filled, scary, amazing moments sometimes huh!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by shiz302 » 27 Apr 2006, 14:24

Did the usual crew chief shuffle from Sheppard to Luke then onto Hill AFB, volunteered to go to the desert but the list was full, imagine that. Now I'm a civilian lookin to go Gaurd.
Ex 16 CC workin 'hawks.

Next