How many "Vets" do we have here

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...
  • Author

Tomcat_71

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post04 Jan 2007, 23:56

Navy Electronics Warfare Tech from 89 to 98. Served on Spruance Class Destroyers Comte De Grasse and Merrill. First time I saw a Viper up close was at an airshow a few months back. I know what the 66 and 68 sound like....dah dit dah dit dah dit dit (depends on how many bars he's scanning). Nice to get info, pics, and stories from you guys. Keep up the good work.

shiz302

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Jan 2007, 00:12

usafmtl wrote:Joined in 1991.
Tech School in Chanute from Oct 1991 until Feb 1992 for ICBM Maint. SAC Trainer Killer Here!
Feb 1992 to May 1993, FE Warren AFB, MMT
May 1993 until Dec 1994 Vandenberg AFB, MMT
Dec 1994 to Jan 1999 Military Training Instructor 323rd TRS, 737th TRSS, Lackland AFB
Jan 1999 until Sep 2001 Military Training Leader 343rd TRS, Lackland AFB, Security Forces Academy
Sep 2001 to Dec 2005 Military Training Leader 362nd TRS, Sheppard AFB, CREW DAWGS!!!!
Dec 2005 to Jan 2006 Keesler AFB, Retrained into Command and Control
Jan 2006 to Present, C2, 552nd ACW, Eyes of the Eagle! Tinker AFB

Spent too long in AETC but that was the best I could do when the wife is in the Army. Some here might remember SSgt/TSgt Slavens at Sheppard. I was an MTL for many many many F-16 Crew Chiefs.

I remember you, I graduated basic in late 03 and left Sheppard spring 04. I didn't have the time of my life, but I made it.
Ex 16 CC workin 'hawks.

Meathook

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post05 Jan 2007, 04:49

Tomcat 71 - share some photos if you would, sounds great, I'd like to see any you have - very cool
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

MKopack

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Jan 2007, 11:58

Tech School in Chanute from Oct 1991 until Feb 1992 for ICBM Maint. SAC Trainer Killer Here!

ICBM's? Wow, lots of preflights, but no postflights! ...and now that I think of it, while an incentive flight would be really, really, exciting, I think I'll pass... :wink:

Mike
F-16A/B/C/D P&W/GE Crew Chief and Phased Maint.
56TTW/63TFTS 1987-1989
401TFW/614TFS 1989-1991

akruse21

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Jan 2007, 12:09

MKopack wrote:

ICBM's? Wow, lots of preflights, but no postflights! ...and now that I think of it, while an incentive flight would be really, really, exciting, I think I'll pass... :wink:

Mike

Just want to feel the power between my legs, Johnny

Davis83

Unread post05 Jan 2007, 14:38

OK, before I post my meager service record....

I have to send out a call to F16lifer... stu my old friend. I know you - sell any cars to your roommate lately?...lol oh the times we had as young airmen at TJ.

July 26, 1983 thru Aug 1 2006.

Torrejon 1984-1987 with the 614th. 82-920, 81-0821
Incentive ride in 81-0821 Feb 1987.

Shaw 1987-1998 with the 17th and 77th. 84-1321, 84-1217, 90-0754, 91-0346, 94-0045.

Osan AB ROK 1998-99 assigned to OSS Plans and Programs.

Shaw 1999-2002 OG Staff

Osan AB ROK 2002 - 2004 accompanied tour MXG Staff, Plans and Programs Superintendant.

Seymour-Johnson 2004 - 2006, 336th AMU - 38 miles from home, buy house - find new job and begin 2nd career.

Numerous TDY's - Italy, Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi, Kuwait, Oman, UAE, Qatar, Japan... and all of the usual stateside places - Vegas, Tindall, Luke, China Lake, Cold lake.

Gulf War with the 363 TFW Aug 1990 - Mar 1991
Op Southern Watch - total of 42 months at multy locations.

A few ups and a few downs, many good times and many good people. No regrets for a single day I served.

Post AF.
Working for City of Goldsboro Public utilities. I (and 5 other retired Military) make all of the drinking water for the city - about 8 Million Gal per day.

Building my 2nd 20 year retirement - at 61, all I am going to do is fish everyday!

Rick Davis

Meathook

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post05 Jan 2007, 14:41

Nice Rick...you were very busy too, saw lots of the globe - Congratulations and a Salute for a job Well Done...so the water is good to go then, I'll remember that when there, least I can say....I know of a guy that keeps it flowing and drinkable :-)
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

usafmtl

Unread post05 Jan 2007, 17:16

MKopack wrote:

Mike

We used to tell chicks we were in flight missile technicians. :P

Davis83

Unread post05 Jan 2007, 20:35

Meathook,

water is good to go as long as you don't drink form the water system on Seymour-Johnson..its contaminated with Strike-Eagle droppings.....haha

Meathook

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post05 Jan 2007, 20:39

:-) I understand

Meathook

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post10 Jan 2007, 14:08

Funny thing about life, who you are, what you do, does make a difference....

A teacher in New York decided to honor each of her seniors in High School by telling them the difference each of them had made. She called each student to the front of the class, one at a time.

First, she told each of them how they had made a difference to her, and the class. Then she presented each of them with a blue ribbon, imprinted with gold letters, which read, "Who I Am Makes a Difference."

Afterwards, the teacher decided to do a class project, to see what kind of impact recognition would have on a Community. She gave each of the students three more blue ribbons, and instructed them to go out and spread this acknowledgment ceremony Then they were to follow up on the results, see who honored whom, and report to the class in about a week.

One of the boys in the class went to a junior executive in a nearby Company, and honored him for helping him with his career planning. He gave him a blue ribbon, and put it on his shirt. Then he gave him two extra ribbons and said, "We're doing a class project on recognition, and we'd like for you to go out, find somebody to honor, give them a blue ribbon, then give them the extra blue ribbon so they can acknowledge a third person, to keep this acknowledgment ceremony going. Then please report back to me and tell me what happened."

Later that day, the junior executive went in to see his boss, who had been noted, by the way, as being kind of a grouchy fellow. He sat his boss down, and he told him that he deeply admired him for being a creative genius. The boss seemed very surprised. The junior executive asked him if he would accept the gift of the blue ribbon, and would he give him permission to put it on him. His surprised boss said, "Well, sure." The junior executive took the blue ribbon and placed it right on his boss's jacket, above his heart. As he gave him the last extra ribbon, he said, "Would you take this extra ribbon, and pass it on by honoring somebody else. The young boy who first gave me the ribbons is doing a project in school, and we want to keep this recognition ceremony going and find out how it affects people."

That night, the boss came home to his 14-year-old son, and sat him down. He said, "The most incredible thing happened to me today. I was in my office, and one of the junior executives came in and told me he admired me, and gave me a blue ribbon for being a creative genius. Imagine! He thinks I am a creative genius! Then he put a blue ribbon that says,"Who I Am Makes a Difference", on my jacket above my heart. He gave me an extra ribbon and asked me to find somebody else to honor. As I was driving home tonight, I started thinking about whom I would honor with this ribbon, and I thought about you. I want to honor you. My days are hectic and when I come home, I do not pay a lot of attention to you. Sometimes I scream at you for not getting good enough grades in school, and for your bedroom being a mess. Somehow, tonight, I just wanted to sit here and, well, just let you know that you do make a difference to me. Besides your mother, you are the most important person in my life. You're a great kid, and I love you!"

The startled boy started to sob and sob, and he could not stop crying His whole body shook. He looked up at his father and said through his tears, "Dad, earlier tonight I sat in my room and wrote a letter to you and Mom, explaining why I had took my life, and I asked you to forgive me. I was going to commit suicide tonight after you were asleep. I just did not think that you cared at all. The letter is upstairs. I don't think I need it after all."

His father walked upstairs and found a heartfelt letter full of anguish and pain. The envelope was addressed, "Mom and Dad". The boss went back to work a changed man. He was no longer a grouch, but made sure to let all of his employees know that they made a difference.

The junior executive helped several other young people with career planning, and never forgot to let them know that they made a difference in his life...one being the boss' son. In addition, the young boy and his classmates learned a valuable lesson, "Who you are DOES make a difference".

Who you are does make a difference, and I wanted you to know that, I am proud of you all.

MechFromHell

Unread post10 Jan 2007, 15:31

Nice story! :evil: Thanks...
Crew Chief
Mountain Home AFB 2000-2005~91-0370
Sheppard AFB 2005-2009~F-16 Instr
Kadena AB 2009-2015
Holloman AFB 2015-Now

Meathook

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post10 Jan 2007, 15:32

You betcha....it appeared in the Hill Top Times...I thought it was great and hits the spot for many here

ViperDude

Unread post10 Jan 2007, 15:55

Well I read all the interesting posts from my Vet Bro's and figured I'd do the same. But hell I can't remember everything anymore..lol

Dec 1975 Delay enlisted USAF

Mar 1976 Did boot camp Lackland (B-Shopper instrument/Autopilot 326X2B)and my time at Chanute AFB

Jun 1976 Arrived at Luke AFB to work the original 7 OT& E F-15's (1972 models), we also had the oldest F-4C models in the Air Force as well as Lockheed training the German Air Force on F-104's and T-38's that were kept over at Williams AFB because we had no room for them on the Luke flightline. I was in the 58TFTW then the 555th (Triple Nickle, then the 59AGS, then the 405HQ and I was an MATD instructor taking 3 levels and making them 5 levels as a B-Shopper. Trained the the first B-shopper Saudi Arabians and Israelies on the F-15. Remember POMO?? I was made a crew Chief on TAC 1 (Tail# 73-103?) which is on a pedestal at the Luke AFB front gate now. Who remembers the old Penetration Aids Trucks? Corker Exercises? General Fred (Fat Freddy) Hefner?

Mar 1981 Arrived at Bitburg, Germany to work F-15's and was in the (36th?)Fat Cats down by the Alert section, again B-Shopper, was there for the Tiger Meet and saw the striped F-104 come in.

Sep 1981 was offerred an early out and took it!!! As long as it was an Honorable discharge I didnt care!!..lol

Oct 1981 Hired on with General Dynamics Services Co and spent 3yrs on the Peace Vector Program running the Flight Control Shop Blk 15 F-16's, and assisted with Operation Bright Star 1981 and 1984.

Aug 1984 Arrived at Edwards AFB working the F-16XL, AFTI, X-29, and all the Flight test F-16 aircraft, but eventually switched to Weapons. Then I moved to engineering and was a Control Engineer and then a Flight Test Engineer conducted over 575 test missions (about 10 of those with BG Chuck Yeager)most were LANTIRN and Flight Control Stability & Control Flights and supported Desert Storm.

Jun 1993 Moved back to Ft Worth and was the Lead Engineer for Air-to-Air weapons on the F-16 AIM-9, AMRAAM, IRIST, MICA, ASRAAM, Python IV programs. I also wrote all the flightline weapon checkouts (-501 and -060 checks) for USAF and FMS countries.

Aug 1998 to present (Lockheed Martin Aeronautics) assigned to the Air National Guard Headquarters, Andrews AFB. I manage all the -21 equipment, all targeting pods (LANTIRN, Litening, and SNIPER) for the F-16, F-15 and A-10's and still work weapon integration issues. Have supported Operation Northern Watch, Operation Southern Watch, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Operation Enduring Freedom.

Oh yeah in between all that I did get a few degrees in Electronics, Engineering Technology and Business Administration/Management...

Cheers,

ViperDude

Meathook

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post10 Jan 2007, 15:59

Very, very interesting work....you keep busy, good job - thanks for posting, amazing the talent that we have here collectively...glad it is not lost and still helps with the existing fleet - Salute
PreviousNext

Return to Careers & Assignments