Depth Perception machine at yearly PHA / physical?

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...

by abviper » 06 Jan 2013, 00:51

I've heard a rumor that there are only two test 'slides' to the Optec 2300 testing machine for the depth perception and that you can actually memorize it if you take it long enough. I'm talking about the test with the circles seeing which one is closer and it's usually 2, 3, or 4. Does anyone know anything about this test?
Thanks!

by exfltsafety » 06 Jan 2013, 04:31

So you want someone to give you information so you can cheat to pass the test?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 06 Jan 2013, 05:58

i know its tough when you want something really bad, however i would recommend that you not cheat this test. either you have good depth perception, or you don't and you will kill yourself, or run into someone. in the long run its not worth it.

by ygbsm » 06 Jan 2013, 06:01

The test is highly over rated and yet can be a show stopper on physicals. I for one could NEVER do it and was given a backup test that involved the tech holding a black box that illuminated three bars. I guessed half the time on that one too, but was able to get through my flight physicals.

I flew my entire career in fear of this test and the color test. Yet, I had a highly successful flying career and never had any problem with "depth perception" or "color" vision when actually flying. That is why I think this test (and the others) are highly over rated. But try to convince the docs of that.

Good luck on your quest. I for one totally understand your motivation.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Roscoe » 06 Jan 2013, 06:54

I could never pass that test...I always requested a consult with the eye doctor and always passed theirs with flying colors.
Roscoe
F-16 Program Manager
USAF Test Pilot School 92A

"It's time to get medieval, I'm goin' in for guns" - Dos Gringos