Best Degree for post military career.

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...

by TimmayMan » 27 Oct 2011, 23:24

Thinking about the future, what are the best schools and degree programs to get into for a successful aviation career after the military. While I'm not above working hands on with acft I would like to get more into maintenance management in the long run. I plan on getting an A&P license within the next year. Afterward, I was considering either the technical management or professional aeronautics course offered by Embry-Riddle. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Tim
Nellis 01-03
Aviano03-05
Cannon05-07
Osan 07-08
Luke 08-11
Charleston 11-present(C-17A)

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 28 Oct 2011, 02:31

Have you thought about engineering?

by TimmayMan » 28 Oct 2011, 03:11

Not really. Mechanical engineering would be cool. What kind of education and training would I need? It sounds interesting.
Nellis 01-03
Aviano03-05
Cannon05-07
Osan 07-08
Luke 08-11

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 28 Oct 2011, 19:06

I'm a military veteran pursuing a degree in electrical engineering, but I have had to take a lot of the same classes the ME majors have to take. You're gonna have to take lots of math to begin with. That means algebra, trig, precal, and various levels of calculus plus differential equations and linear algebra. I'd say engineering is the toughest program academia offers at the undergraduate level. It's hard, but it's rewarding, unlike other degrees such as psychology, philosophy, general studies, education and all sorts of other useless degree programs. While your buddies are waiting tables with their generic degree in "skating by", you'll have a rewarding career as an engineer. You'll have job security because of not only your degree, but your military background. I have no doubt a guy like you will learn WAY quicker than a 22/23 year old kid that just graduated having never turned a wrench.

by TimmayMan » 29 Oct 2011, 14:53

Hmm, maybe I'll look into more engineering programs. It would be cool to be involved with developing better acft for operators and maintainers alike. It should be really interesting considering most combat acft from here on out will be designed to be unmanned.
Nellis 01-03
Aviano03-05
Cannon05-07
Osan 07-08
Luke 08-11

by annamarie » 20 Jun 2012, 10:26

Introverts, you should work. But you hate interviews. Here's what to do to get you ready for achievement, instead of failure. Use a personal loan to get by while waiting for the new job to start. It is very difficult to pay our bills at home or at least buy the things we need that are very important. To be able to land a job, we should always be prepared for job interviews because if we do our best during job interviews, there will be a big chance that we will have a job.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 21 Jun 2012, 08:02

Introverts, you should work. But you hate interviews. Here's what to do to get you ready for achievement, instead of failure. Use a personal loan to get by while waiting for the new job to start. It is very difficult to pay our bills at home or at least buy the things we need that are very important. To be able to land a job, we should always be prepared for job interviews because if we do our best during job interviews, there will be a big chance that we will have a job.

WTF?

Anyways,

TimmayMan, there's also engineering technology degrees which combine aspects of engineering and of being a technician. There's also systems engineering which you should look into.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Bushmaster78FS » 21 Jun 2012, 23:13

I am getting out this year as well, similar to Clinton era in 1992, Army is vigorously drawing down and they are letting out folks based on simple sh*t.. Luckily, I am a rated 64 pilot, and done the ERAU thing for a while when I was in. My wife wants me to pursue engineering as well and even though I know I have the smarts I want to take it easy and continue a career in flying. Timmy, looks like you secured the Post 9-11 GI Bill and you really don't have to pay much for your schooling if you are headed to a state university. GI Bill also covers flight training costs at a state school. At least that's what I am doing at the end of this year. If you are not planning to fly, as you seem to have decided not to, make sure take advantage of the GI Bill whatever school you go to.

Disco, add me on FB or something, we should keep in touch...
SEMPER VIPER

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 22 Jun 2012, 22:32

Bushmaster78FS wrote:I am getting out this year as well, similar to Clinton era in 1992, Army is vigorously drawing down and they are letting out folks based on simple sh*t.. Luckily, I am a rated 64 pilot, and done the ERAU thing for a while when I was in. My wife wants me to pursue engineering as well and even though I know I have the smarts I want to take it easy and continue a career in flying. Timmy, looks like you secured the Post 9-11 GI Bill and you really don't have to pay much for your schooling if you are headed to a state university. GI Bill also covers flight training costs at a state school. At least that's what I am doing at the end of this year. If you are not planning to fly, as you seem to have decided not to, make sure take advantage of the GI Bill whatever school you go to.

Disco, add me on FB or something, we should keep in touch...

Well, you can always continue with flying fulltime as a civilian, maybe with the Guard on weekends and do college part time. Engineering coupled with helicopter rating would make you a good candidate as a test pilot for some company. I know a lot of armament guys who have left the Army and gone with engineering. The backgrounds go pretty well together and the salary is pretty good.

by reecehiggins » 25 Jul 2014, 11:45

I think best degree for post military career is Degrees in Law Enforcement, Degrees in Health Care, Degrees in EngineeringDegrees in Business Administration,,,,,