Navy vs AF flying time

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by stilesf-35 » 12 Oct 2010, 03:53

I've heard both sides to this story and i dont feel like going through posts, so who flies more, the navy/marines or Air Force?

by kori » 12 Oct 2010, 05:11

Although I'm not a pilot, and this information is PURELY speculation... :
I don't think there is a 'real' answer.
All 3 branches obviously fly, flight time is decided on the squadron's mission and the specific branch's need.

by uffallsk » 29 Aug 2011, 09:07

It takes some serious skill to fly a jet toward a tiny little ship (1100 feet long and 252 feet wide--give or take a few feet either way) in the middle of the ocean, drop a hook from the a55 end of your plane and hope to catch one of the wires and slam your a55 to a screeching halt. Or, hook a catapult to the front wheels and have your backside slingshot out over the front end of the ship and hope everything works well enough that you don't go for a swim call.

forex broker

by Code3 » 29 Aug 2011, 16:21

uffallsk wrote:It takes some serious skill to fly a jet toward a tiny little ship (1100 feet long and 252 feet wide--give or take a few feet either way) in the middle of the ocean, drop a hook from the a55 end of your plane and hope to catch one of the wires and slam your a55 to a screeching halt. Or, hook a catapult to the front wheels and have your backside slingshot out over the front end of the ship and hope everything works well enough that you don't go for a swim call.

forex broker

When comparing hours, they all fly about the same amount. When analyzing what they do with those hours, this (^) is what the Navy/Marines spend much of their time doing. On the other hand, the Air Force spends no time on landings except during intitial training, thus the majority of their time is spent training on tactical phases of flight.

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by Scorpion1alpha » 29 Aug 2011, 18:52

uffallsk wrote:It takes some serious skill to fly a jet toward a tiny little ship (1100 feet long and 252 feet wide--give or take a few feet either way) in the middle of the ocean, drop a hook from the a55 end of your plane and hope to catch one of the wires and slam your a55 to a screeching halt. Or, hook a catapult to the front wheels and have your backside slingshot out over the front end of the ship and hope everything works well enough that you don't go for a swim call.

forex broker

I'm with Dos Gringos (USAF). They said it best:

http://www.dosgringosrocks.com/music-15.html
I'm watching...

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Roscoe » 30 Aug 2011, 06:04

The Navy likes to boast that carrier ops are an additional weed out step that the USAF doesn't have, so therefore their pilots must be better. My experience is that all USAF pilots that have gone on a Navy exchange tour that required getting carrier qual'ed accomplished that step successfully. What that tells me is that it isn't as hard as advertised. Easy? No, but if you can successfully make it to fighters then carrier landings aren't that much of a skill stretch.
Roscoe
F-16 Program Manager
USAF Test Pilot School 92A

"It's time to get medieval, I'm goin' in for guns" - Dos Gringos

by fezt » 30 Aug 2011, 19:01

what country are we talking about? or is it all the same in every country?

by Meteor » 30 Aug 2011, 23:14

Presumably you're talking about USN v USAF fighter flying time, not C-130 v P-3 time.

USN and USAF fighter pilots regularly serve exchange tours. Everything I've seen indicates that pilots from either branch flying similar aircraft, (F-4 / F-4, F-14 / F-15, F-16 / F-18 ) are very comparable in skill. USAF pilots doing carrier cruises do just fine, and I know one F-16 driver that won the trap award for the cruise.

It is not the quantity of hours that counts in fighters, but rather the quality of those hours. Flying a six hour cap in a holding pattern over DFW for Noble Eagle only teaches piddle pack skills. Deploying 15 hours from Hill AFB to the UAE allows you to get very good at refueling and popping pills. Flying a clean jet off the runway and popping up into a 4v4 against adversaries directly over the field and logging a .7 is truly good flying.

Flying at Nellis, Luke, Eglin, Fallon, Yuma, etc, with good weather and lots of airspace and ranges is awesome flying. Flying off the boat where you have to husband your fuel in order to make it feet dry if the deck gets fouled...not so much. The USN guys I flew against said the best flying they did was during the workups prior to a cruise. It's the quality of the hours, not the quantity.
F-4C/D, F-16A/B/C/D, 727, DC-10, MD-80, A321

by monanmiya42 » 13 Sep 2011, 05:58

Hi there, I found your blog on Google while seeking for first aid for a heart attack and your post looks very interesting for me. for me, however, the Brooks Robinson book meant a lot more, because I actually saw a feature on Pete Rose on television where he was autographing hundreds of baseballs to be sold for profit.

led street lights

by nabila1230 » 26 Sep 2011, 08:27

personally i like the air force, its amazing and i am crazzy about the air force,