Vision?

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...

by ht145bak » 05 May 2010, 06:23

Does anyone know what the maximum diopter is pre-Prk to qualify for a fighter slot is. I know I read it somewhere a couple years ago but I cant find it anywhere. And info on both the AF and Navy would be highly appreciated.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by gbu24loader » 05 May 2010, 15:03

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/gr ... CTB_070655

There is a ton of information on this website. I didn't have time to search for your answer but I was -3.50 prior to PRK and my wavier went through just fine. Good Luck

by ht145bak » 06 May 2010, 02:26

I looked there last night and couldn't find it but I will look again today, my vision is a 6.50 in both eyes right now.

by coolidge_25 » 06 May 2010, 05:56

The MEPS maximum allowable refractive error is -8.00 for both Air Force and Navy and on one of the spreadsheets in the "Tools" section of the above link, the maximum you can put in is -8.00 with 3 diopters of astigmatism.

There are a number of other issues for a -6.50 however. First, the thickness of your corneas will need to be great enough to keep the residual corneal bed greater than 300 microns after treatment. Second, your refraction has to be stable for at least 12 months, and at -6.50 even with stable refractions, you are at greater risk of haze formation as well as needing enhancements down the line. They apply a drug (MMC) to help prevent haze formation, but the algorithms for the laser are less precise with higher myopia (think hitting an M9 training target vs a target at 800 meters), so you may need enhancement.

Implantable Collamer Lenses (ICL's) are a possibility in individuals who do not qualify for corneal refractive surgery, but I don't know if air crew are eligible.

Best of luck,
coolidge

by ht145bak » 06 May 2010, 23:32

thanks, coolidge for the info, I know that i saw it on that site a year or two ago. I went in for a consultation to see if I was a candidate and they told me that the thickness of my corneas was sufficient and there would be enough for enhancements but does it have to be at least 300 microns after the enhancement? And are there any restrictions preventing me from going into hight performance aircraft with the level of correction that I need?