F-22 PMFD radar symbology

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

BDF

Unread post08 Mar 2020, 17:45

Could anyone explain why the radar scan volume is depicted this way on the PMFD? I've seen this shown on the F-22 cockpit demonstrator years ago, there's a few videos of that being demonstrated out there. It seems strange to me that its shaped this way. Below is another image of the actual display from what I'm guessing is the manufacturer's website. I note that the symbology is more F-35 like than what the F-22 was originally shown when it became public.

When it comes to fighting Raptors, "We die wholesale..."

falcon.16

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post08 Mar 2020, 18:45

I think that for diferente range the volume track is different. How much long range is. Volumen track will decrease if you want get the same sensitivity. So they are diferent volume angles.

mikemag

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post08 Mar 2020, 21:45

I might be saying the same thing as falcon_16, just worded differently, but I always thought it had to do with AESA T/R modules splitting the workload unevenly. The majority of the modules being dedicated to a narrower scan cone and then relatively few modules scanning the periphery.

BDF

Unread post09 Mar 2020, 04:41

Yes that could be why its depicted that way. However I can't imagine that's anything close to what the real performance is. For instance if you watch the NG APG-81 video on YT, you can see it quickly detect and track multiple targets beyond the circa ± 22°long range scan volume (yes I measured it.), some out to 40° out to near max range of the display (80nm.) Compared to the F-35's tactical situation display, it displays what I believe is the radar scan volume with green colored elongated shapes, interestingly with a small area in the middle with no coverage:

Now from what appears to be an early slide about LM JAST presentation, shows the long range volume as ± 40°. In this case the long range volume is slewed left with the (much) reduced range volume visible on the right side of the TSD and A-A formats.

Perhaps what is represented on the F-22 are simply notional non-representative displays and what we see now in this JAST and F-35 is more representative.
When it comes to fighting Raptors, "We die wholesale..."

hornetfinn

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post09 Mar 2020, 09:47

BDF wrote:Yes that could be why its depicted that way. However I can't imagine that's anything close to what the real performance is. For instance if you watch the NG APG-81 video on YT, you can see it quickly detect and track multiple targets beyond the circa ± 22°long range scan volume (yes I measured it.), some out to 40° out to near max range of the display (80nm.) Compared to the F-35's tactical situation display, it displays what I believe is the radar scan volume with green colored elongated shapes, interestingly with a small area in the middle with no coverage:

I think that the small area in the middle with no coverage is a jammer effect. Basically a radar (AESA especially can do this well) discards all signals coming from the direction (certain angle) of jammer and can minimize the effects of the jammer. It seems that the no-coverage area widens with distance which would be consistent with how this method works.

F-22 symbology could be many things. It could well be what falcon.16 said about search volume. Another possibility could be passive detection range of enemy radars for the long distance. It may be that this is just a way of showing the difference between passive and active search distances and not necessarily the true scan angles for each.

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum