A dozen F-22’s deployed to Middle East

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by tank-top » 29 Jun 2019, 00:34

That sounds to me like we are trying to send a strong message more than anything. I’m guessing that is more than overkill for whatever is left of a Iran’s Air Force.

Banned

by zero-one » 29 Jun 2019, 09:09

I know this is known news. But it would be nice to put a link to kick start a thread.
#OCD :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... sions.html

Its not just F-22s they're deploying.
Raptors have in the past been stationed at Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates. The fifth-generation fighter had been part of the air campaign against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria since the fight began in 2014; they returned home last fall, and were replaced by F-15C Eagles earlier this year.

In May, the Pentagon sent B-52 Stratofortress bombers to the region as a response to unspecified threats from Iran at the time. The bombers had flown a series of patrols over the Persian Gulf alongside F-15Cs, as well as the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. The Air Force's variant of the fifth-generation fighter deployed to the theater in April, and conducted its first combat strike mission in Iraq on April 30.

The Trump administration announced May 5 it was sending the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln and a bomber task force to the Middle East. A week later, the U.S. added even more firepower, sending the amphibious transport dock Arlington and a Patriot missile battery to the region for extra deterrence.

Then F-15E Strike Eagles deployed to Al Dhafra in June to increase aerial presence, according to Air Force Magazine.

So If I'm reading this correctly we have
-F-22s and F-15Cs for Air dominance
-F-35s and F-15Es for Strike
-B-52s for Strategic bombing
-Patriot missile batteries for SAM coverage
-a CSG for redundancy over the naval side.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 29 Jun 2019, 12:48

Yep, that's the impression I got too. Although one would think the F-22's are relieving the F-15C's. Not sure how it was worded, but perhaps those F-15C's are sticking around as you suggest.

A dozen Raptor's isn't an insignificant number. It's more than the 2 to 4 usually deployed. They'd need more for any campaign against Iran, perhaps 20-25 as mission capable rate has been reported as well under 80%.

They've gotten the F-22 message in the past, will be interesting to see if they settle down this time..

Banned

by zero-one » 29 Jun 2019, 15:35

I actually think its overkill.
The F-35s are enough to punch holes into their IADS network and take out any aircraft that'll try to stop them.
But since Raptors are in the area, the F-35's may simply use their limited internal AMRAAMs for self defense and leave CAP duties to the F-22.

There were reports that the US wanted to retaliate against 3 locations in Iran. If thats the case, then the force in the region is well capable of any eventualities like that. Suddenly the Patriot missiles makes sense as you'd expect Iran to retaliate against the airbases hosting the USAF with ballistic missiles.

by pmi » 30 Jun 2019, 03:21

zero-one wrote:I actually think its overkill.

If overkill is an option, it's the only way you should be fighting.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 01 Jul 2019, 16:59

It's overkill for sure with the F-22 adding to our air superiority capabilities.

But when you consider this F-22 deployment adds to the taxing of its ability to fight a 2 front war, it's concerning. North Korea is acting up again, and while our ability to handle both Iran's and N. Korea's air force isn't in question, things could be far worse. Their ICBM's threaten F-22 air bases, and I'd question the Patriot's ability to shoot down all of them.

Don't get me wrong - the F-22 brings overwhelming capabilities to each theater. But this 2 front war could be a LOT worse. Russia and China for example. In that event, it's my OPINION that things quite possibly would be different. In that event, the F-22's ability to sanitize the airspace of both would be a lot more questionable.

Notice I didn't say it couldn't perform that function, it's just a lot more questionable/problematic IMO. You probably wouldn't want to be responsible for the F-22's ability to win control of the airspace in either instance, much less both. Your aircraft and pilots would be taxed to a much more siginicant degree. And yes, the F-35 could help. Hopefully significantly. But it would have to step it to a far more significant degree. It is IMO, a not yet fully matured weapons system.

And this is the F-22 forum after all :mrgreen:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 01 Jul 2019, 17:18

mixelflick wrote: Iran's and N. Korea's air force isn't in question, things could be far worse. Their ICBM's threaten F-22 air bases, and I'd question the Patriot's ability to shoot down all of them.

You do realize neither of those countries have ICBMs, right?
"There I was. . ."

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 01 Jul 2019, 17:47

That’s special — mix and zero now claiming F-22s are overkill...

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by wooster » 01 Jul 2019, 17:55

12 Raptors are not overkill. 12 Raptors are underkill. A Raptor isn't a B-52 or a B-1 which can loiter night and day long as long there is tanker support.

A lucky Raptor would have to be in the right place at the right time for it to matter. With 12 deployed, the odds of that are next to nothing.

40-60 would be a viable number. 12 is rather weak, especially with availability rates.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 01 Jul 2019, 19:27

pmi wrote:
zero-one wrote:I actually think its overkill.

If overkill is an option, it's the only way you should be fighting.

Overkill actually means that you used too much logistics. :twisted:

I doubt if twelve raptors would be overkill for such a wide area as Iran, it however sends a clear message.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 02 Jul 2019, 01:17

wooster wrote:12 Raptors are not overkill. 12 Raptors are underkill. A Raptor isn't a B-52 or a B-1 which can loiter night and day long as long there is tanker support.

A lucky Raptor would have to be in the right place at the right time for it to matter. With 12 deployed, the odds of that are next to nothing.

40-60 would be a viable number. 12 is rather weak, especially with availability rates.

LOL Considering the capabilities of the Iranian Air Force. Trust me 12 Raptors is overkill....Hell, Kuwait could take them on and win!
:twisted:

Banned

by zero-one » 02 Jul 2019, 07:37

quicksilver wrote:That’s special — mix and zero now claiming F-22s are overkill...

Its nothing new, I always thought and continue to think that the Raptor is overkill in sheer capabilities alone.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 02 Jul 2019, 12:50

zero-one wrote:
quicksilver wrote:That’s special — mix and zero now claiming F-22s are overkill...

Its nothing new, I always thought and continue to think that the Raptor is overkill in sheer capabilities alone.

Congratulations. You’ve proven Secretary Gates’ case.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 02 Jul 2019, 12:52

zero-one wrote:

And that's bad because. . .? (By your rational we should have limited the number of Eagles purchased because it could annihilate the Mig-23.)
"There I was. . ."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 02 Jul 2019, 12:53

quicksilver wrote:
zero-one wrote:

Congratulations. You’ve proven Secretary Gates’ case.

I don't think God himself could prove Secretary Gates' case.
"There I was. . ."

Next