Aircrew Interview F-15C to F-22A, MiG-29 Killer, Mike Shower

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

lrrpf52

Unread post02 Jul 2018, 21:42

I was one of the first lucky guys that got to go do operational test and development on the F-22. They wanted F-15C guys who were Fighter Weapons School grads, IPs, all that. I was one of the 8 who got to go to Edwards to do it, just lucky.

When we first did Raptor DEMVAL against combat-ready Langley squadron F-15Cs over the Nellis Test Range, everything worked as advertised. There was nothing they could do against us. We did high, low, offset, everything. We did 5-8 intercepts that first day, first time it had ever been tried in history. We killed them all every time no matter what they did. First time or two, they're like, "Where are you guys at?"

"We're a mile off your tail."

"What! You gotta be kidding me."

We said, Holy Mackerel, I have seen the light. We came back and wrote out test reports, and said, "I have seen the future. This thing really does work."

We had these guys that had been working on the jet their whole career, and one of them came up crying, "You just validated my whole life's work."

We were flying against F-16s at Nellis, and it got to the point where they said, "Are you guys really in the airspace, or are you just coming up on the radio and calling kills?"

One of my favorite 4 v 12's was where we got cocky and arrogant, and just decided, "Let's see how fast we can just kill 'em all. We went right up to Mach 2 and just ran 'em down hard. From something like 80nm separation, it took us 2 minutes and 22 seconds to kill all 12, they never saw us or took a shot.

I remember once, a 2 ship turned around and they're running away at Mach 1....and I got like Mach 1 in closure running them down. Flown right, it's basically untouchable.

https://youtu.be/6pivtRMOf8s

If someone could embed, that would be great. Amazing interview. Starts out with his experience getting into the F-15C, the War against Serbia, his detailed rundown of shooting down a MiG-29 of the Serbian Air Force with a brand new pilot to the squadron in tow as his wingman, and then how he got into the Raptor program.

basher54321

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post02 Jul 2018, 21:58

Mike normally posts them in another part of the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=54190

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post02 Jul 2018, 22:35

lrrpf52 wrote:If someone could embed, that would be great.

Just click the "YouTube" button and enter the video ID "6pivtRMOf8s".

"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post03 Jul 2018, 02:05

Paul Metz described his early F-22 experience going up against F-15s that predate Dozer's. It became apparent to Metz very quickly that the Eagles had no idea where he was. Even when he radioed the quadrant he was approaching from they couldn't find him on their radar. He then gave them his bearing , still no joy. They did get a glimpse of him as he roared over their canopy though. LOL.
Last edited by popcorn on 03 Jul 2018, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post03 Jul 2018, 02:21

Did he do it... "inverted"? :mrgreen:
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post03 Jul 2018, 23:18

SpudmanWP wrote:Did he do it... "inverted"? :mrgreen: