Airfoil twist

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Patriot » 20 Oct 2017, 13:05

I'm not sure whether this thing have been already touched or not but this is the question. I've noticed that Raptor's wing is somehow convoluted somewhere starting from midsection to the wingtip, leading edge is flexed clearly down and trailing edge is flexed up. I guess F-35 has more or less the same feature. I havnt seen it on F-18s, F-16s, not quite sure about F-15.

What tahat actually is and what it's for? I'm guessing it has to be benefitial from an aerodynamic standpoint.. I dont know, less induced drag, supercruise? Im wondering.

It's quite well visible on a frontal plane

by vanshilar » 20 Oct 2017, 14:12

Though this won't fully address your question (especially as to whether or not this is the reason why the F-22 has it), but this is known as washout.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washout_(aviation)

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 20 Oct 2017, 18:57

Most wings will have different airfoils, etc along the span to allow the aerodynamics guys to tailor the lift distribution, help out with S&C, etc.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 21 Oct 2017, 03:36

My guess would be that the twist has to do with the angle of attack various parts of the wing stall at.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by johnwill » 21 Oct 2017, 07:06

Another benefit of twist in the wing is reduced structural weight, both in the wing and the fuselage. There are two kinds of wing twist, static and elastic. Static is the twist with zero load on the wing. Elastic is the twist due to load on the wing. For F-16, static is 3 degrees from wing root to tip. Elastic can be as much as 4 degrees, so total twist can be up to 7 degrees.

So how does that save structural weight? As mentioned earlier the tip area has a lower angle of attack and lift due to the twist. That moves the center of lift inboard and reduces wing bending moment and fuselage bulkhead moment for the required total wing lift.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 21 Oct 2017, 15:18

This feature is more prominent from the back IMO, and I've often wondered why it's there too.

Gives it an edgier look IMO. From the front or back, she looks real mean...