F-22 Raptor: 20 Years of Air Dominance

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

  • Posts: 1511
  • Joined: 21 Oct 2005, 00:47

Unread post15 Oct 2017, 20:35

For those that haven't heard, Key Publications has just published a special issue celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the F-22 Raptor (since Raptor 4001, the 1st EMD jet). The special 100 page issue is titled "F-22 Raptor: 20 Years of Air Dominance" and is available now.

http://shop.keypublishing.com/product/V ... 2%20Raptor

I haven't seen the issue yet, but I'm hoping they do justice and give a glimpse as to why the F-22, in it's current form, remains the most dominant production fighter ever built. And its just going to get even better and more lethal in the near future.

*Note. I'm not getting any compensation or perks of any kind from anyone for mentioning this. Just a heads-up to those that are interested.*
I'm watching...
Offline

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1102
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2008, 02:33

Unread post15 Oct 2017, 20:57

There's been nothing in the air to dominate for 20 years....other than an obsolete SU-22.

20 years of watching F-16s and F-18s do the work. :lmao:
Offline

viper12

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 14:58

Unread post26 Oct 2017, 08:07

I received the issue yesterday and finished reading it. IMO, it's more centralizing the information than really showing anything new if one has been following the F-22 program with more or less attention for the past 20 years.
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1675
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post26 Oct 2017, 13:46

outlaw162 wrote:There's been nothing in the air to dominate for 20 years....other than an obsolete SU-22.

20 years of watching F-16s and F-18s do the work. :lmao:


I see what you did there :mrgreen:

But if you talk to F-22 pilots, they see it quite differently. Just the mention of an F-22 in theater changes the game. Russia may have SU-35's cruising the Syrian skies, but I have to imagine those Flanker pilots do so with much trepidation. It has to be incredibly un-nerving knowing Raptors are in the air. They can see you, you can't see them.

In that respect, I predict it will mirror US Navy F-14's. A few minor altercations here or there, but most are going to stay FAR away from the F-22. Sometimes, a plane's value lies in it deterring vs. winning conflicts..
Offline

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1102
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2008, 02:33

Unread post26 Oct 2017, 14:53

just having a friendly poke at it....unfortunately i think it will get its shot so to speak someday
Offline

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1102
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2008, 02:33

Unread post26 Oct 2017, 17:01

Sometimes, a plane's value lies in it deterring vs. winning conflicts..


Maybe they should revive the old SAC motto for ACC....

"Peace is Our Profession"
Online
User avatar

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 5156
  • Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 19:42

Unread post26 Oct 2017, 17:06

outlaw162 wrote:
Sometimes, a plane's value lies in it deterring vs. winning conflicts..


Maybe they should revive the old SAC motto for ACC....

"Peace is Our Profession"



I actually do think you could term the F-22 A "strategic fighter" maybe more so because of their expense and limited number, but the effect they have on the region is noticeable. Move a doze. Here or there and watch the situation change
Choose Crews
Offline

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1102
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2008, 02:33

Unread post26 Oct 2017, 18:39

Yeh, I saw that on a sign in front of Burpelson AFB.
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1675
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post28 Oct 2017, 20:13

I sure hope they have something up their sleeves beyond the AIM-120D.

The AMRAAM is a good missile. But it's been around since the early 90's. It's known, its strengths and weaknesses are known. Our fighters live and die by AMRAAM, and the F-22 is no exception. Figure out how to defeat the AMRAAM and you've made it to the merge. In the merge, the F-22 is exceptional but a lot more vulnerable vs. BVR.

I've heard of CUDA and other possibilities, but as for what's deployed and operational - do we have ANYTHING else?
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2541
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post28 Oct 2017, 23:59

mixelflick wrote:I sure hope they have something up their sleeves beyond the AIM-120D.

The AMRAAM is a good missile. But it's been around since the early 90's. It's known, its strengths and weaknesses are known. Our fighters live and die by AMRAAM, and the F-22 is no exception. Figure out how to defeat the AMRAAM and you've made it to the merge. In the merge, the F-22 is exceptional but a lot more vulnerable vs. BVR.

I've heard of CUDA and other possibilities, but as for what's deployed and operational - do we have ANYTHING else?

The AIM-120D hasn't been around since the early 90s, nor are it and its strengths/weaknesses known. It shares little in common with early model AMRAAMs, aside from the missile body. The same goes for the AIM-9X Block 2, Standard Missile series, etc..... Their current capabilities far exceed far exceed the imaginations of their developers in the 50s/60s. That's not to say that in the 2020s/30s, that newer more capable AAMs won't be in service, but -120Ds are in no danger of obsolescence.
Offline

twistedneck

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 18:06
  • Location: Dearborn, MI

Unread post29 Oct 2017, 08:19

wrightwing wrote:The AIM-120D hasn't been around since the early 90s, nor are it and its strengths/weaknesses known. It shares little in common with early model AMRAAMs, aside from the missile body. The same goes for the AIM-9X Block 2, Standard Missile series, etc..... Their current capabilities far exceed far exceed the imaginations of their developers in the 50s/60s. That's not to say that in the 2020s/30s, that newer more capable AAMs won't be in service, but -120Ds are in no danger of obsolescence.



wrightwing, you are surely correct about the advancement of our old AMRAM into the much more capable AIM120D.. but along these same lines the other great A/A missile for close range is the AIM 9X and over Syria recently a SH fired at a Fitter from point blank range 1.5miles and the Fitter easily spoofed the vaunted AIM 9X.

That is not saying much for the most advanced IR seeker missile in the US inventory.
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2541
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post29 Oct 2017, 09:21

twistedneck wrote:
wrightwing wrote:The AIM-120D hasn't been around since the early 90s, nor are it and its strengths/weaknesses known. It shares little in common with early model AMRAAMs, aside from the missile body. The same goes for the AIM-9X Block 2, Standard Missile series, etc..... Their current capabilities far exceed far exceed the imaginations of their developers in the 50s/60s. That's not to say that in the 2020s/30s, that newer more capable AAMs won't be in service, but -120Ds are in no danger of obsolescence.



wrightwing, you are surely correct about the advancement of our old AMRAM into the much more capable AIM120D.. but along these same lines the other great A/A missile for close range is the AIM 9X and over Syria recently a SH fired at a Fitter from point blank range 1.5miles and the Fitter easily spoofed the vaunted AIM 9X.

That is not saying much for the most advanced IR seeker missile in the US inventory.

Actually, the circumstances of the miss haven't been publicly discussed. No official source has stated that the AIM-9X was spoofed into missing. Were I a Fitter pilot, I wouldn't count on that happening again, in any future engagement. As for the AIM-120D, not only does it have significant range and ECCM improvements over early models, but enhanced navigational algorithms, and redundancy in guidance (active seeker, 2 way datalink, GPS, INS, and HOJ.) There's a lot more in the kill chain, that needs to be countered, to spoof a -120D
Offline

charlielima223

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 785
  • Joined: 12 Jan 2014, 19:26

Unread post30 Oct 2017, 01:18

wrightwing wrote:Actually, the circumstances of the miss haven't been publicly discussed. No official source has stated that the AIM-9X was spoofed into missing. Were I a Fitter pilot, I wouldn't count on that happening again, in any future engagement. As for the AIM-120D, not only does it have significant range and ECCM improvements over early models, but enhanced navigational algorithms, and redundancy in guidance (active seeker, 2 way datalink, GPS, INS, and HOJ.) There's a lot more in the kill chain, that needs to be countered, to spoof a -120D


(time index 5:10)


It would seem according to the pilot, the Sidewinder didn't even do anything after it went off the rails.

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests