F-22 on static at airshows

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 12 Jun 2017, 18:32

At Westfield ANG base her in MA,they're having an F-22 on static display. I was dumbfounded, as this is like when Clinton claimed he didn't inhale. It's just not right..

Having said that, I asked why it wasn't flying? The official response was that it's an Air Force rule that the F-22 and The Thunderbirds can't perform at the same show (T-birds are headlining)

Anyone know why?

As an aside, the F-22 is flying that same weekend in PA. I'll be making the trip Saturday to see it, and Sunday we're going to Barnes in Westfield. They fly F-15's out of there, tasked with defending the Northeast corridor. I sure hope those guys put on a show for its local fans!

by joost » 12 Jun 2017, 20:17

Both Thunderbirds and the F-22 demo are planned flying at RAF Fairford this year, so I think your source was not very well informed.

Joost

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 12 Jun 2017, 23:57

mixelflick wrote:Having said that, I asked why it wasn't flying? The official response was that it's an Air Force rule that the F-22 and The Thunderbirds can't perform at the same show (T-birds are headlining)

I've seen both the F-22 demo team and T-birds fly at the same airshow, although that was ~2008-2009ish so maybe that's changed?

I'd imagine it's just more likely that the demo team wasn't scheduled for that show and they just flew in an a/c from some other base for a static.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by BELA » 12 Jun 2017, 23:59

There were both Thunderbird and Raptor flight demos at the Tyndall show this past April, so I'm not sure where that rumor came from.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 14 Jun 2017, 16:58

Came via their facebook page.

I've seen the T-birds so many times, much prefer the Blue's. Give me the F-22 demo ANY day though... :)

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by huggy » 20 Jun 2017, 20:56

Mixel,

They don't generally perform at the same shows, because it is "common sense".

The Thunderbirds and Blues each do about 35 shows sites a year. The Raptor does about 18. Viper Demo Team will do about 15. That's roughly 103 show sites, split between all of these demos.

How many airshows do you think are requesting these demos? The answer: a lot more than 103. A lot.

The mission for these demos is to get them in front of the public, to show Americans their military, and to aid in recruiting. (Shows like Fairford have different goals, obviously).

When ACC builds the schedule for the TBirds, Raptor, and Viper, they try to share the wealth. And for 2017 and beyond, you can expect them to start supporting more shows that, in the past, didn't get demo support.

It makes ZERO sense to have a Raptor AND the TBirds at the same location. That means a location that wanted a demo team will not get any at all. Tyndall, Langley, and other locations where the Raptor is based are exceptions to the rule for obvious reasons.

Once ACC builds the schedule, it goes to the staff and then on to a General-officer for sign off. And if you think there aren't Congressmen calling about their airshow, and putting pressure on ACC to support it, then you would be mistaken.

A lot goes into the schedule so that many can enjoy the demos. Be happy you got to see a cool show, and aren't standing on the ground in Aleppo watching the airshow there.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 24 Jun 2017, 19:27

LOL, OK thank you for the explanation :)

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by huggy » 25 Jun 2017, 06:55

Anytime.

Although the USAF got rid of the Strike Eagle Demo, A-10 demo, and one of the two Viper Demos a few years back, the are bringing back the A-10 demo for 2018, and will probably have a full-blown F-35 demo next year too.

by citanon » 02 Jul 2017, 05:47

I don't know if this has been posted here before, but I found this 4K video of an F22 performing at an airshow. It's a real treat if you watch it on a 4K monitor or a 4K TV. You get to see so much detail on the aircraft, particularly when it's taxing for takeoff.

Enjoy!