Restarting F-22 production

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

les_paul59

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 330
  • Joined: 23 Jan 2016, 05:57

Unread post15 May 2016, 01:00

yeah during testing of the f-35 with block 3f, it will become evident that the f-15 can't compete against the f-35
Offline
User avatar

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 7508
  • Joined: 24 Sep 2008, 08:55

Unread post15 May 2016, 01:13

It's evolved beyond individual platform capabilities, it's all about the Network going forward.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh
Offline
User avatar

count_to_10

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3255
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2012, 15:38

Unread post15 May 2016, 02:35

les_paul59 wrote:The raptor is the ultimate air to air machine, so it is going to fly top cover for everyone in reality, but I get your point. The f-35 is changing the way the air force fights as a organization all together. At this point they are going to upgrade and fly the f-15 because it has hours left on the airframe, and they need it to fill a short term gap in fighters.

Well, the F-15's can also carry the F-35's missiles.
(Insert reference to man holding his girlfriend's purse here)
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.
Offline

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2161
  • Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 01:30

Unread post15 May 2016, 02:56

les_paul59 wrote:yeah during testing of the f-35 with block 3f, it will become evident that the f-15 can't compete against the f-35


Actually it was evident to test guys well over a year ago, and to the fleet guys when they got 2B last year. With more recent expansion of released aero envelope they gained the wherewithal to exploit all of its other advantages as well.
Offline

les_paul59

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 330
  • Joined: 23 Jan 2016, 05:57

Unread post15 May 2016, 04:22

we know that the f-15 can't hang with the 35, but once the public starts getting leaked test reports that the f-35 had a 70-1 kill ratio against agressor f-15's (hypothetical results), then i think everyone will understand how much of a leap 4th to 5th gen. really is.
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2473
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post16 May 2016, 13:57

les_paul59 wrote:we know that the f-15 can't hang with the 35, but once the public starts getting leaked test reports that the f-35 had a 70-1 kill ratio against agressor f-15's (hypothetical results), then i think everyone will understand how much of a leap 4th to 5th gen. really is.


I wouldn't take as a given F-35 trumps the F-15 15. Pilots make mistakes, and if the F-15 gets to the merge he has HOBS missile and the F-35 won't...
Offline

les_paul59

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 330
  • Joined: 23 Jan 2016, 05:57

Unread post16 May 2016, 17:55

I'm not affiliated w/ the usaf in anyway mixelflick, but I'm pretty sure that the f-15's aren't going to fare to well against the BVR shots, or know where the f-35's are to merge. That's the thing people always forget, it's tough to merge with something that you can't find...
Offline

vanshilar

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 394
  • Joined: 26 Aug 2015, 11:23

Unread post16 May 2016, 21:09

les_paul59 wrote:That's the thing people always forget, it's tough to merge with something that you can't find...


Actually, I suspect that with stealth aircraft, pilots will find that when entering the merge they'll usually be found on your tail...
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2473
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post17 May 2016, 12:24

les_paul59 wrote:I'm not affiliated w/ the usaf in anyway mixelflick, but I'm pretty sure that the f-15's aren't going to fare to well against the BVR shots, or know where the f-35's are to merge. That's the thing people always forget, it's tough to merge with something that you can't find...


Quite true.

Still, that puts virtually ALL the F-35's eggs in stealth's basket. They must be super-confident it works now and will continue to do so, well into the future..
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 4775
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post17 May 2016, 12:53

mixelflick wrote:Still, that puts virtually ALL the F-35's eggs in stealth's basket.


Have you read anything said by actual F-35 pilots? :doh:
"There I was. . ."
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2918
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post17 May 2016, 16:13

mixelflick wrote:
les_paul59 wrote:we know that the f-15 can't hang with the 35, but once the public starts getting leaked test reports that the f-35 had a 70-1 kill ratio against agressor f-15's (hypothetical results), then i think everyone will understand how much of a leap 4th to 5th gen. really is.


I wouldn't take as a given F-35 trumps the F-15 15. Pilots make mistakes, and if the F-15 gets to the merge he has HOBS missile and the F-35 won't...

Eh, the F-35 also carries HOBS missiles (that's the premise of LOAL/spherical engagement.)
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2918
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post17 May 2016, 16:16

mixelflick wrote:
les_paul59 wrote:I'm not affiliated w/ the usaf in anyway mixelflick, but I'm pretty sure that the f-15's aren't going to fare to well against the BVR shots, or know where the f-35's are to merge. That's the thing people always forget, it's tough to merge with something that you can't find...


Quite true.

Still, that puts virtually ALL the F-35's eggs in stealth's basket. They must be super-confident it works now and will continue to do so, well into the future..

Much like the Russians and Chinese, etc...that are working on their own stealth designs.
Offline

les_paul59

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 330
  • Joined: 23 Jan 2016, 05:57

Unread post18 May 2016, 04:41

@mixelflick, stealth isn't just flying anywhere without regard for enemy sensors. It's an entire strategy of how you operate, stealth jets are always trying to present the best angle to the enemy to keep their rcs low, and the f-35 sensors are so much better than every other jet, knowing where enemies are won't be the problem. My point is the f-35 isn't just about stealth, it's about flying a smart stealthy jet in an intelligent way.
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2473
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post18 May 2016, 12:20

les_paul59 wrote:@mixelflick, stealth isn't just flying anywhere without regard for enemy sensors. It's an entire strategy of how you operate, stealth jets are always trying to present the best angle to the enemy to keep their rcs low, and the f-35 sensors are so much better than every other jet, knowing where enemies are won't be the problem. My point is the f-35 isn't just about stealth, it's about flying a smart stealthy jet in an intelligent way.


OK, understand. Just hope these Russian radars can't find it or if they do, can't track/lock on for a launch. If the shoe were on the other foot, I'd be a REAL nervous SU-35/PAK FA pilot knowing the F-35 can see me and I may not be able to see him (until it's too late)...
Offline

les_paul59

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 330
  • Joined: 23 Jan 2016, 05:57

Unread post18 May 2016, 17:13

I agree, it must be really scary to know there are probably jets out there that can see me, but I have no ability to target them.
PreviousNext

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests