AN/APG-77 detection range

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

nutshell

Unread post02 May 2017, 01:54

Do you guys remember the video of Skunkworks and their nanotubes skin?

I think, as futuristic as it sounds, the plan is to transform the whole skin of a frame into a single massive antenna.

However i don't really have no clues on how a nanometric T/R module would perform nor if its possible to change the frequency at those modules would eventually works.

Yet i think the 6th gen will be a lot about exploiting every single inch of surface at disposal.

After all, the radar tech itself is constrained mostly by space (rather then weight).

botsing

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post02 May 2017, 12:44

nutshell wrote:After all, the radar tech itself is constrained mostly by space (rather then weight).

I assume that the radar is also constrained by the amount of energy it can use, the amount of energy that the airplane can give it and the capability to dissipate any excess heat.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

nutshell

Unread post02 May 2017, 18:43

Dunno if energy absorption might be a real problem; after all you have the equivalent of 2 petrol powerplants generating energy.

Heat is an issue tho.

wewuzkangz

Banned

Unread post13 Jul 2017, 22:24

RCS of 1 at 400km oh come on Wiki even states that it is from an unconfirmed sources. Australia airforce net shows a lesser range than that.

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post13 Jul 2017, 22:48

APA is not a reliable source of information.

zero-one

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post14 Jul 2017, 11:05

wewuzkangz wrote:RCS of 1 at 400km oh come on Wiki even states that it is from an unconfirmed sources. Australia airforce net shows a lesser range than that.

whenever reading APA, you need to be very careful.
he usually uses terms like
"estimated to be", "expected to be", "seems to be", "most likely", "probably".

This means that he has no actual data and is simply doing a wild guess based on his opinion.

I still can't get over how he compares the combat Thrust to weight ratio of the F-35 and Su-30, theyr're actually roughly equal with the F-35A having a slight advantage. But he extends the Su-30's T/W ratio by using AL-37 engines. News flash the AL-37 is just an Experimental derivative for the Su-37 demo plane.

See what he did there?

charlielima223

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Aug 2017, 01:48

Perhaps my age is catching up with me and I am hearing and reading things that I want to hear. Perhaps someone here can help me out in some clarification...

A while back I was reading an article about the F-22's capabilities over Syria. We've all heard that its stealth, radar, and passive sensors have been able to provide plenty of intel to other assets. One thing I heard was that the F-22's radar was/is so good that it has been able to identify Russian and Syrian aircraft down to their airframe. I have no experience with radars or being what the Army called "duck hunters", but I wonder if that is indeed true. I am going to make a SWAG that the combination of its passive sensors and radar being so integrated with each other that the F-22 may indeed be able to identify aircraft down to their airframe.

Some one please enlighten me whether this is true or not.

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post22 Aug 2017, 03:40

Just to clarify, are you asking about the F-22's ability to identify a/c types eg. MiG-29, Su-30,etc. or individual a/c by tail number?
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post22 Aug 2017, 06:57

popcorn wrote:Just to clarify, are you asking about the F-22's ability to identify a/c types eg. MiG-29, Su-30,etc. or individual a/c by tail number?

Types, would be my guess.

arian

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post22 Aug 2017, 07:46

charlielima223 wrote:Perhaps my age is catching up with me and I am hearing and reading things that I want to hear. Perhaps someone here can help me out in some clarification...

A while back I was reading an article about the F-22's capabilities over Syria. We've all heard that its stealth, radar, and passive sensors have been able to provide plenty of intel to other assets. One thing I heard was that the F-22's radar was/is so good that it has been able to identify Russian and Syrian aircraft down to their airframe. I have no experience with radars or being what the Army called "duck hunters", but I wonder if that is indeed true. I am going to make a SWAG that the combination of its passive sensors and radar being so integrated with each other that the F-22 may indeed be able to identify aircraft down to their airframe.

Some one please enlighten me whether this is true or not.

The ability to identify the type of plane is not new to the F-22. As far as I can tell, F-15 was the first to have that capability used for identifying friend or foe without the need of an IFF interrogator. The radar has some ability to identify the type of plane based on the return from the engine blades, for example. I have no idea how it works, but I'm guessing each engine type produces different signatures which can be matched with known types (kind of like sonar and identifying ships by their engine noise). More modern radars have some ability to create a "picture" of the plane it is viewing and do some matching with known plane shapes (called inverse synthetic aperture radar). However, all of this is probably too dependent on the viewing angle to be 100% reliable, and probably range as well. So if you can't see the engine blades you may not be able to use the first technique. If you're viewing the plane from an odd angle where it's hard to get good reflections from certain identifiable features it may just appear as a blob on ISAR and can't be matched to anything.

But in Syria, if it's being used for that role, it's probably using passive sensors.

charlielima223

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post23 Aug 2017, 18:44

Cool beans!

Thanks for the clarification :thumb:

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post23 Aug 2017, 21:56

arian wrote:..... idea how it works, but I'm guessing each engine type produces different signatures which can be matched with known types (kind of like sonar and identifying ships by their engine noise). More modern radars have some ability to create a "picture" of the plane it is viewing and do some matching with known plane shapes (called inverse synthetic aperture radar). However, all of this is probably too dependent on the viewing angle to be 100% reliable, and probably range as well. So if you can't see the engine blades you may not be able to use the first technique. If you're viewing the plane from an odd angle where it's hard to get good reflections from certain identifiable features it may just appear as a blob on ISAR and can't be matched to anything.

But in Syria, if it's being used for that role, it's probably using passive sensors.

...with passive systems info and a library the range and type of weapons could be defined and an avoidance zone plotted to indicate a reference for intercept?
:)

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post23 Aug 2017, 23:48

oops.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

charlielima223

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post25 Aug 2017, 23:51

I FOUND THE ARTICLE THAT PROMPTED MY QUESTION!! :D

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017 ... hting.html

Lt. Col. "Shell," an F-22 pilot and commander of the 27th Squadron

The pilot said the F-22's ability to identify other aircraft -- down to the airframe -- and detect surface-to-air missiles and relay their existence to other friendly forces while remaining a low-observable radar profile makes it critical for the fight.

mas

Unread post12 Sep 2017, 12:03

The Raptor’s radar range is classified, but one pilot said he has “seen targets beyond 320 miles.”

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-avi ... 180957782/
PreviousNext

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum