90th FS uses AIM-9X on F-22 Raptor

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

mixelflick

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post12 Mar 2016, 13:34

OK so...

When does the F-22 get it and use it operationally?

Is that today? A year from now??

mmm

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post13 Mar 2016, 07:49

So, what kind of seeker FoV will we be looking at when employed from sidebay, when compared to, say a traditional wingtip position? I'd speculate it's gonna be more or less of an entire hemisphere less from either bay. It may be one of the reasons why HMD has not been a priority, since the gain will be somewhat limited anyways without full fledged LOAL.

count_to_10

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post13 Mar 2016, 17:49

mmm wrote:So, what kind of seeker FoV will we be looking at when employed from sidebay, when compared to, say a traditional wingtip position? I'd speculate it's gonna be more or less of an entire hemisphere less from either bay. It may be one of the reasons why HMD has not been a priority, since the gain will be somewhat limited anyways without full fledged LOAL.

The cheek bays point the sidewinders outward and down slightly. It looks like the seeker is fully clear of the bay doors, and has a clear line of sight vertically, so it's area of regard is probably significantly more than half the hemisphere.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

gideonic

Unread post14 Mar 2016, 12:09

I also don't buy the half-a-hemisphere argument. Look how far forward the missiles are from the following pictures. It should just about see past the nose and the wing definitely doesn't cover the seeker's Field of View. The seeker is actually visible even on the rightmost F-22 on the lower picture, and on both sides! I initially thought it was the upper bay door, but on closer inspection it clearly is not, as fins can also be seen, though barely:

Now think about it, if the optimal launch envelope is just a bit to the side and up, not exactly straight forward, the missile should have a wider FoV, than from any under-the-wing pylon. Only the wingtip stations on F-16 probably have an edge there. And when you think about Raptor's nose pointing ability, and even the usual positioning of the enemy during a "turning-battle" in a dogfight ... then IMO the direction the missiles are pointing to, makes a lot of sense.

zero-one

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 Mar 2016, 19:02

Question, without the helmet, how does the seeker know where to look? If for example there are more than 2 targets in the seeker's field of view how does it know which target the pilot is aiming for?

Also how does it use it's HOBS capability, is it Slaved to the Raptor's sensor suite?

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post14 Mar 2016, 19:10

The avionics can queue the 9x based on any track regardless of the track's source(radar, ESM, datalink, etc), just as it is in the F-35.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

cantaz

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Mar 2016, 19:19

There should be the usual target designator control on the throttle assembly, under the left index finger. Allows you to move a cursor around on the relevant display.

hornetfinn

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post15 Mar 2016, 07:31

Helmet mounted sights improve HOBS capabilities due to having wider field of view than radar. They also provide quicker target designation against close-in targets. So HMS will definitely give additional performance for F-22 and AIM-9X combo. If F-22 got same helmet and EODAS system as F-35, it would be even better. That however is likely not going to happen as it would be very expensive. However I think F-22 is not going to need that as it will likely use AIM-9X with radar cueing anyway most of the time.

mmm

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post05 Apr 2016, 18:37

APG-77 with instant beam steering is quite a step up compare to legacy mechanically scanned radar, even in WVR fight. At WVR range you can afford to use the full +/-60° in elevation and azimuth FOV at cost of detection range. I imagine the targeting can be pretty fast, maybe as fast as HMDS. Not saying HMDS is pointless on F-22. Even as flight instrument alone HMDS has great value in a sensor fused fighter like F-22.

mixelflick

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post24 Jul 2016, 00:45

When do the other F-22 units get the 9x?

I would have thought Langley got first dibs??
Previous

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum