F-22 unable to be locked on by AIM-9 Sidewinder by F-16

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

by armedupdate » 12 Sep 2015, 10:10

I believe I heard a story where USAF Agressors facing the F-22 was unable to lock on with AIM-9 Sidewinder except in the tail aspect? Which missile were the simulating? AIM-9M or IIR AIM-9X?

by guy@rdaf.dk » 12 Sep 2015, 10:20

Probably an AIM-9 Mike or Lima as the Xray has imaging infrared focal plane array (FPA) seeker, which means it does not require the heat signature from the engines to track the Raptor.
Greetings to you all at the NSA and everybody else who is reading this on ECHELON.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 12 Sep 2015, 14:16

opsec alert

by guy@rdaf.dk » 12 Sep 2015, 15:10

deadseal wrote:opsec alert

No, just basic wiki info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-9_Sidewinder
Greetings to you all at the NSA and everybody else who is reading this on ECHELON.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 12 Sep 2015, 18:29

armedupdate wrote:I believe I heard a story where USAF Agressors facing the F-22 was unable to lock on with AIM-9 Sidewinder except in the tail aspect? Which missile were the simulating? AIM-9M or IIR AIM-9X?

pretty sure AIM-9X can lock F-22 from any aspect, unless USAF designed some form of romulan cloak that can shield all IR signature

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by SnakeHandler » 12 Sep 2015, 18:36

I believe I heard a story where USAF Aggressors facing the F-22 was unable to lock on with any missile due to the warp field generator recently installed on the Raptor and planned for Block 3F on the F-35. It pissed off the aggressor pilot so much he tried to shoot him with the gun but the rounds flew into a wormhole which is linked to whichever level of hell Hitler and the other dead Nazis are...

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 12 Sep 2015, 18:53

guy@rdaf.dk wrote:
deadseal wrote:opsec alert

No, just basic wiki info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-9_Sidewinder

no dude, im pretty sure that providing factual data of the capes of a missile against the F-22 would be considered sensetive info. Thus anyone who actually knows about the capes of a 9x/9m/photon torpedo/bodkin arrow/V1 rocket and the F-22s ability to defeat and or deny these weapons would not give you an answer. Think about the question. Can the 9m or 9x lock an F-22 all aspect? All Im saying is a warning that that is an OPSEC issue. If i was in the F-22 program i would not want that info shared....would you?

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 12 Sep 2015, 19:00

SnakeHandler wrote:I believe I heard a story where USAF Aggressors facing the F-22 was unable to lock on with any missile due to the warp field generator recently installed on the Raptor and planned for Block 3F on the F-35. It pissed off the aggressor pilot so much he tried to shoot him with the gun but the rounds flew into a wormhole which is linked to whichever level of hell Hitler and the other dead Nazis are...

you should run away before the man in black knock on your door :mrgreen:

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by checksixx » 12 Sep 2015, 22:48

There's too many ever changing variables to really answer the question anyways. Think about it this way, there have been aircrew discussing being able to see the Raptor AND put their missiles onto it...only to be left without a track.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 13 Sep 2015, 01:59

checksixx wrote:There's too many ever changing variables to really answer the question anyways. Think about it this way, there have been aircrew discussing being able to see the Raptor AND put their missiles onto it...only to be left without a track.

"do you have further data?"
"no"
"pk miss!"
"sh*t!"

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JetTest » 13 Sep 2015, 02:08

I would like to think that anyone that really does know the facts would also know way better than to post any factual information here.....

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 13 Sep 2015, 03:34

JetTest wrote:I would like to think that anyone that really does know the facts would also know way better than to post any factual information here.....

One would think so but I recall way back just afteŕ joining F-16.net reading a post from one serving member who was taking leave of the forum, apparently he had posted something that some people thought he shouldn't have. So there could be unintended repercussions.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 13 Sep 2015, 04:11

armedupdate wrote:I believe I heard a story where USAF Agressors facing the F-22 was unable to lock on with AIM-9 Sidewinder except in the tail aspect? Which missile were the simulating? AIM-9M or IIR AIM-9X?

I think something was lost in translation. Not so much unable to get a positive lock but unable to put the aircraft in a good position against the F-22...

http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123041831

When the Raptor finds itself in a dogfight, it is no longer beyond visual range, but the advantage of stealth isn't diminished. It maintains "high ground" even at close range.

"I can't see the [expletive deleted] thing," said RAAF Squadron Leader Stephen Chappell, exchange F-15 pilot in the 65th Aggressor Squadron. "It won't let me put a weapons system on it, even when I can see it visually through the canopy. [Flying against the F-22] annoys the hell out of me."

Lt. Col. Larry Bruce, 65th AS commander, admits flying against the Raptor is a very frustrating experience. Reluctantly, he admitted "it's humbling to fly against the F-22," - humbling, not only because of its stealth, but also its unmatched maneuverability and power.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by checksixx » 13 Sep 2015, 04:48

deadseal wrote:
checksixx wrote:There's too many ever changing variables to really answer the question anyways. Think about it this way, there have been aircrew discussing being able to see the Raptor AND put their missiles onto it...only to be left without a track.

"do you have further data?"
"no"
"pk miss!"
"sh*t!"

Not sure what you're reply really means...you quoted me, so go ahead and explain.

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by Scorpion1alpha » 15 Sep 2015, 01:04

I believe I heard a story where USAF Agressors facing the F-22 was unable to lock on with AIM-9 Sidewinder except in the tail aspect? Which missile were the simulating? AIM-9M or IIR AIM-9X?

While the general answer might not be classified and would be shared within the fighter community, that is not releasable to the general public and the details associated with the answer is classified.

Believe it or not, the F-22 has a bit of secrets up it's sleeve that the public has no clue about. Both in aero performance and the jet's capabilities. We like to keep it that way.
I'm watching...

Next