F-22 Database and photo thread

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post10 Nov 2020, 01:35

Kind of makes you wonder what the new NGAD looks like...
Have F110, Block 70, will travel

hornetfinn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post10 Nov 2020, 10:52

Scorpion1alpha wrote:One is feared by our adversary's tanks and infantry on the ground. The other is feared by anything our adversary flies.

So now clearly A-10 beats F-22 in a dogfight... :P

Very nice pictures, thank you!

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post15 Nov 2020, 09:35

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post16 Nov 2020, 13:40

jetblast16 wrote:Kind of makes you wonder what the new NGAD looks like...

I would say it will have to be very impressive to replace something like the F-22. Sooner or later, we'll eventually see it.

hornetfinn wrote:So now clearly A-10 beats F-22 in a dogfight... :P

:lol:

Alaskan F-22s deployed to Tyndall recently for Checkered Flag.

Alaskan 90th FS F-22 pilot being fitted for the new Integrated Aircrew Ensemble (IAE). All F-22 pilots are scheduled to receive IAE by 2021.
IAE components include life preservers, survival vests, pressure vests for F-22 pilots, and environmental protection layers in the event aircrew have to eject into cold water or into a cold, windy environment. The ensemble also has a chemical, biological, and radiological protection layer. Pilots are able to “mix and match” the gear depending on their mission and needs.

The Integrated Aircrew Ensemble is the below the neck – minus the boots and gloves – solution for ejection seat piloted aircraft,” said Carl Medeiros, IAE Program Manager within the Human Systems Division. “If a pilot has to eject, they’ll have all of the gear they need to survive.

One consideration in the development of IAE was reducing the thermal burden of the pilot.

Thermal burden is a very big issue with them [pilots]. When they operate, they almost operate with a low grade fever. If we reduce their core temperature by a half a degree, that’s a significant improvement for them. Reducing body temperature will keep them a lot fresher, and keep them focused, so they can concentrate on the mission and put bombs on target.

F-22s and B-1s training over Guam November 2020.
I'm watching...

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post16 Nov 2020, 17:27

15 years after it goes operational, still inspires awe.

The history books will probably say it was a failure, especially when comparing it to the F-15's 104-0 air to air record. More impressive I think would be no aircraft dare to challenge it, and thus it never had to be used in anger that way. It must be.... unnerving knowing the F-22 is "somewhere" in your area.

That same unnerving feeling has to also be present with the F-35, although its not yet acquired the F-22's fearsome reputation. Perhaps in due time, as I've always felt the Israeli's will probably be first to show the world how good it really is..

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post16 Nov 2020, 20:33

mixelflick wrote:15 years after it goes operational, still inspires awe.

The history books will probably say it was a failure, especially when comparing it to the F-15's 104-0 air to air record. More impressive I think would be no aircraft dare to challenge it, and thus it never had to be used in anger that way. It must be.... unnerving knowing the F-22 is "somewhere" in your area.

That same unnerving feeling has to also be present with the F-35, although its not yet acquired the F-22's fearsome reputation. Perhaps in due time, as I've always felt the Israeli's will probably be first to show the world how good it really is..

And with the MLU updates, it's only getting more fearsome.

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post17 Nov 2020, 13:40

mixelflick wrote:15 years after it goes operational, still inspires awe.

The history books will probably say it was a failure, especially when comparing it to the F-15's 104-0 air to air record. More impressive I think would be no aircraft dare to challenge it, and thus it never had to be used in anger that way.

Can’t predict the future. Maybe the F-22 will never be used in anger. Maybe because it’ll never have to.
The designers, LM and the USAF have always said the F-22 can shorten wars and save lives. If it is used in a shooting war, the F-22 will wreck your world…over your own sovereign airspace. When it does gain air dominance, the shortening of wars is achievable because that will allow everybody else and their assets to operate freely in any given AOR.

Knowing this, I don’t know of any adversary who said they want to take on the F-22. Yeah, we heard some say their ground systems and SAMs can see, track and shoot it down. But did they really? And if they know they really didn’t, then who wants to go up and CAP or take it on? If the answer is nobody and the F-22 played a part in preventing our adversaries from getting too stupid, then it saved lives.

Maybe the F-22’s motto should be: “Peace Through Superior Firepower”

mixelflick wrote:It must be.... unnerving knowing the F-22 is "somewhere" in your area.

For fun and for entertainment purposes, “Growling Sidewinder” did this simulation recently on DCS. I found it interesting. GS was in an Su-27 Flanker and looking for an F-22 to kill. He even had an A-50 Mainstay AWACS support because in his view, if he can’t see the F-22, the Mainstay will and can datalink the info to him, right?

Watch the entire video. Make a very big note on his reaction. When people fight the F-22, his reaction is a very common one (actually, his is a very comical one).

The second half of the vid he usually does a “Tac-View” which is basically a debrief and shows the details of the scenario. Keep in mind there are “multitudes” of ways the F-22 could have handled this, and the game does not replicate none of the classified capabilities the F-22 has in its bag of tricks.

So, who wants to be the blind boxer and go up against the beast?
I'm watching...

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post17 Nov 2020, 16:31

That was great.

I was waiting for an AMRAAM to slam into him from the front or side quadrant, but sneaking up behind also has to be again, unnerving. I guess we know now how that Iranian Phantom pilot felt. Anyway, I think the APG-77 is a Low Probability of Intercept radar? If it truly works as advertised, that would explain why no IRST was ever funded.

Imagine being in the Mainstay and seeing the SU-27 disappear from the screen, knowing you're next... :shock:

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post20 Nov 2020, 00:54

I never put much stock into someone's claim when they start chattering off about their experiences on DCS. Its like what I see all over the interwebs when they start trying to sound like SMEs when they play a simulator (albeit a very good one). They play World of Tanks or War Thunder and all of sudden they try to sound like experts on forums and youtube. Regardless of my musings and opinions, that was an entertaining video.

@mixelflick
As far as I know yes, the F-22s AN/APG-77 has LPI capability. There have been numerous accounts by other pilots (playing as aggressors) stating that they were shot down or engaged far before they knew it or their RWR starting buzzing off. We never hear or read about the F-22's win loss ratios in exercises/training anymore. I would guess that it is so lopsided and happens so often its become a regular thing. However on the flip side we're always going to hear or read about and F-22 and its pilot "losing" because it is such a rare thing (also because of nationalistic and unit chest thumping and bragging rights).
From my understanding because how AESA radars work, they have a natural LPI capability. I would wager that because western software and hardware are (in some areas) more or slightly ahead of stuff Russia or China has (especially for US built AESA radars); western AESA radars have a better LPI function.

We all know that the F-22 was originally supposed to have an IRST, yet maybe because the F-22 was so good it didnt really need it. I defer to the comments made in The Fighter Pilot Podcast episode of the F-22. Something along the lines of... (not quoting verbatim)
because we're so stealthy that we're constantly showing up behind the guy's 3 9 line, we didnt need a high tech heater. Maybe because we turn so well we didnt need a helmet mounted display. Dudes in other aircraft needed those capabilities more then us and there is only so much of the money pie to go around.

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post21 Nov 2020, 15:34

Interesting, thanks..

If a big/good AESA can more intesively jam/maintain LPI, I wonder if/how that'll benefit F-15EX? No plans to make it stealthy or even try to reduce RCS, but much talk about the uber-radar/"fastest mission computer in the world". If any of that can help hide, mask or even reduce it's huge radar signature, I bet that would sure be welcome...

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post23 Nov 2020, 13:17

Some F-22s from Langley's 94th FS deployed to MCAS Iwakuni a few says ago to train with F-35Bs.

At the Ft Lauderdale Airshow, FL this past weekend.
Artsy.

All 4 of the USAF's major single-ship tac air demo team were there and formed up for a photo-op for the last time this year.
I'm watching...
Previous

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum