F-22 Database and photo thread

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post27 Apr 2020, 12:22

Ferrari F430:

“I can go 0-62 MPH in 4 seconds and can stop from 62 MPH to 0 MPH in just over 100ft! I have a max speed of 196 MPH and am one of the fastest Ferraris ever built!”

Lamborghini Gallardo:

“Yeah, well I can go from 0-62 MPH in 4.3 seconds and can stop back at 0 MPH in 110ft! I also have a max speed of 196 MPH!”

"I'm also an honorary member of the 1st FW!"

Ferrari 488:

“Yawn. I can got from 0-62 MPH in 3 seconds, 0-124 MPH in 8.3 seconds and have a top speed of 205 MPH! I'm one of the fastest production cars ever!"

F-22:

*LAUGHS"
I'm watching...

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post27 Apr 2020, 12:25

"But Officer, I COULD fly 55 MPH...but WHY?"
I'm watching...

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post06 May 2020, 17:09

Im sorry, I cant hear you over the sound of how awesome we are!

https://theaviationist.com/2020/05/05/j ... nd-c-12fs/

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 May 2020, 14:45

Scorpion1alpha wrote:"But Officer, I COULD fly 55 MPH...but WHY?"

F-22: Looks at a ticket stuck on its windscreen. $1000 fine for speeding [1,536 mph]. Pfft. Tears it up and tosses it to the side.
Have F110, Block 70, will travel

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post11 May 2020, 12:17

jetblast16 wrote:
Scorpion1alpha wrote:"But Officer, I COULD fly 55 MPH...but WHY?"

F-22: Looks at a ticket stuck on its windscreen. $1000 fine for speeding [1,536 mph]. Pfft. Tears it up and tosses it to the side.

:lol:
I'm watching...

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post11 May 2020, 12:32

charlielima223 wrote:Im sorry, I cant hear you over the sound of how awesome we are!

Adding a little bit more to cl223's Moose Walk post above.

Some of the pilots must of been drunk. Can't fly straight and level!
I'm watching...

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post15 May 2020, 13:02

Some insights on the Elmendorf Moose Walk from base leadership and personnel.
When rows and rows of aircraft, 35 in total, lined up for the largest display of airpower in recent years at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska, they had two audiences in mind: the Airmen on the ground that made it happen, and most importantly, those who would see the photographs from abroad.

The May 5 “Moose Walk” included 26 F-22s, two C-12s, two C-130s, two E-3 Sentrys, and three C-17s, in addition to HH-60s and a C-17 already in the air. It was a massive display of readiness by the 3rd and 176th Wings at the Alaska base. Airmen worked in shifts leading up to the event, combining a full day’s worth of takeoffs and landings into one onslaught of aircraft.

Col Robert Davis, 3rd Wing Commander.
“The message is that we’re ready. We’ve always been ready...”

“And the challenges associated with COVID-19 have not prevented us from being ready to defend the nation in our NORAD alert mission, or to be able to project airpower, to deliver airpower to combatant commanders.”

“We’re aware that there’s some speculation among our international potential adversaries or competitors … that our readiness has declined...and so there’s a desire, particularly in the INDOPACOM [area of responsibility] for there to be a counter narrative of truth, which is ‘no, we have not declined in terms of our readiness.’

“We wanted to do our part to help send that message. And although an elephant walk doesn’t necessarily prove that our skills haven’t declined, it’s at least a visible message that we can generate a lot of airpower in a relatively short period of time. And then get it airborne.”

Within the F-22 squadrons, for example, maintainers were able to address delayed maintenance discrepancies. The wing’s Raptors already had the highest maintenance metrics of all the Air Force’s F-22 units, based largely on lessons learned with how to treat the aircraft’s low-observable coatings and investments in supply chains to bring in more spare parts.

By early May, Elmendorf’s Raptors were healthy enough that 26 of the fifth-gen fighters that took off in the “Moose Walk” didn’t need extra maintenance before the event. The limiting factor was personnel, Davis said. If they were able to surge manning like in an exercise environment, the event could have had double the amount of F-22s involved.

After the aircraft took off in rapid succession, they split off into smaller groups for other training events. Lt. Col. David Deptula Jr., commander of the 525th Fighter Squadron, took off in the lead F-22 and led a group of Raptors to the Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex for training that included F-16 aggressors and KC-135 tanker support from nearby Eielson Air Force Base. The Raptors flew basic fighter maneuvers, air combat maneuvers, and defensive counter air training—“we showed a lot of combat airpower here, and we’re able to generate at a moment’s notice,” Deptula said.

Other F-22s met up with the newly arrived F-35s from Eielson for integration and photographs near Mount Denali, Davis said.

The C-17s were loaded with paratroopers from the 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division from the Elmendorf side of the base. They flew tactical low-level missions, and airdropped paratroopers, Stratton said.

Good job 3rd Wing!
I'm watching...

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post20 May 2020, 13:15

On 15 May, F-22s, F-35s and T-38s from Eglin flew over the Emerald Coast in honor of health care workers, first responders and other essential personnel in the Covid-19 battle.

Not part of the event, but the photos fits the theme.
(Get the slow poke out of the way)
I'm watching...

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post26 May 2020, 12:11

During the recent Virginia flyby 12 May by a 1st FW F-22 (FF 172) and two P-51s honoring healthcare workers, first responders and essential personnel.
I'm watching...

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post26 May 2020, 12:20

"Cloud Walker"? How about "Cloud Maker".

How'd you like to walk out to the flightline toward your F-22 and you see this?
I'm watching...

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post26 May 2020, 14:12

The two bottom shots look like a nuclear bomb went off. I'd jump into my F-22 and takeoff :mrgreen:
Have F110, Block 70, will travel

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post27 May 2020, 12:15

jetblast16 wrote:The two bottom shots look like a nuclear bomb went off. I'd jump into my F-22 and takeoff :mrgreen:

:lol:
I'm watching...

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post27 May 2020, 12:21

Practice like you’ve never won. Perform like you’ve never lost.

(F-22) Fighter pilot maxim.
I'm watching...

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post02 Jun 2020, 00:40

New F-22 weapons now 'operational' and ready for war

Newly integrated U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor weapons are now operational, bringing expanded air-to-air and air-to-ground attack technology to the stealth fighter following the production of a multi-year software upgrade program intended to prepare the jet for a major great-power war.

Called Increment 3.2B, the upgrade includes AIM-120D and AIM-9X air-to-air missiles and brings improved surface strike technology. The software upgrades, which have been underway for many years, are now ready for war. “Air Combat Command authorized the release and fielding of the F-22 Update 6 Operational Flight Program for incorporation into Increment 3.2B,” a statement from F-22-maker Lockheed Martin read.

The weapons improvements arm F-22s with AIM-9X Block 2, an adaptation that builds upon the existing Block 1. Raytheon AIM-9X weapons developers explain that the Block 2 variant adds a redesigned fuze and a digital ignition safety device that enhances ground handling and in-flight safety. Block 2 also features updated electronics that enable significant enhancements, including lock-on-after-launch capability using a new weapon data-link to support beyond visual range engagements, a Raytheon statement said.

Another part of the weapons upgrade includes engineering the F-22 to fire the AIM-120D, a beyond visual range Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM), designed for all-weather day-and-night attacks; it is a "fire and forget" missile with active transmit radar guidance, Raytheon data states.

Interestingly, Update 6 is primarily focused on software to improve both weapons and radar effectiveness, while making few changes to the hardware, John Losinger, Lockheed Martin F-22 spokesman, told Warrior Maven.

While some of the technical details associated with the F-22 weapons enhancements are not fully available, naturally, for security reasons according to Raytheon developers, increased guidance, targeting, and durability expand the tactical mission scope for F-22s.

F-22s have been forward positioned in Europe and other strategic locations as part of an apparent deterrence mission aimed at Russia. Should the F-22 be able to attack with greater precision, it naturally brings a new ability to hold enemy aircraft at risk. The F-22 weapons complement includes ground-specific attack weapons such as Joint Direct Attack Munitions – such as the GBU 32 and GBU 39 -- and the Small Diameter Bomb.

More precise F-22 fired weapons will enable the F-22 to better leverage its “Supercruise” technology, which lengthens mission time and mission scope for the fighter by allowing it to sustain supersonic speeds without having to use afterburners. This capability is attributed to the engine thrust and aerodynamic configuration of the F-22. This will allow more dwell time for attack missions, enabling pilots to better search for and pinpoint specific targets.

The Air Force’s 3.2B weapons upgrade is part of a new “agile software development” strategy for its F-22 Raptor to quickly equip the stealth fighter with new sensors, improved radar and avionics, faster computer processors and greatly enhanced weapons technology.

Improving F-22 weapons is part of a broader air-attack strategy intended to help the U.S. Air Force pursue critical air-to-air supremacy against fast-emerging near-peer competing platforms, such as the Russian Su-57 stealth fighter. In 2014, the F-22 conducted a successful ground attack against a Taliban facility in Afghanistan.

In preparation for its current operational status, Air Force weapons developers have been testing the 3.2 upgrades with specific “fire-off” exercises at Eglin, Nellis, Hill, and Tyndall Air Force Base test ranges.

“The Update 6 OFP brings a critical interoperability update and significant improvements to radar and In-Flight Data Link stability," explained Losinger.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/f-22-weapo ... dy-for-war
Previous

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum