F-16 for sale in FL?

Discussions about F-16.net news articles. A topic is created automatically whenever someone posts a comment in the F-16 News section.
  • Author

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post17 Aug 2019, 14:52

Anyone else notice this recently?

https://www.controller.com/listings/air ... ckheed-f16

$8.5M

The ad uses a generic photo from Airliners.net and the only details given are;

Year: 1980
Manufacturer: LOCKHEED
Model: F16
Condition: Used
Total Time: 6000
[Airplanes are] near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive.
— Richard Collins

durahawk

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post18 Aug 2019, 03:19

Apparently Tyler at the Drive reached out to the company and they actually have 3 ex-Jordanian F-16's to sell.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... in-florida

Still smells funky to me though. I have no idea how jets will be ITAR compliant.

Boman

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post18 Aug 2019, 10:08

Has to be bogus

The Jordanian F-16's are still under US State control wrt sales, and still a highly active, real weapon.
To say this is a hoax is an understatement

tbarlow

Unread post21 Aug 2019, 05:16

Anyone have a good guess which tail number(s) they might be? I see 80-0618 is showing stored now.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post21 Aug 2019, 15:33

Anyone who buys it will be up a creek without someone like TEG to keep the motor running, and a former Crew Chief to keep the rest of it working, and a G suit to stop you from blacking out the first time you accidentally pull too hard on the pressure stick, and... and... and....
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

southernphantom

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post21 Aug 2019, 15:54

durahawk wrote:Apparently Tyler at the Drive reached out to the company and they actually have 3 ex-Jordanian F-16's to sell.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... in-florida

Still smells funky to me though. I have no idea how jets will be ITAR compliant.

Lots of ITAR equipment sold on the domestic market. So long as it doesn't leave the US, ITAR isn't a particularly big deal - I personally own thousands of dollars of ITAR-controlled items.

There will probably be other restrictions besides for ITAR, though. I'm not familiar with those.
I'm a mining engineer. How the hell did I wind up here?

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post21 Aug 2019, 19:43

Anyone who buys it will be up a creek without someone like TEG to keep the motor running, and a former Crew Chief to keep the rest of it working, and a G suit to stop you from blacking out the first time you accidentally pull too hard on the pressure stick, and... and... and....

It's possible that the last US built jet fighter that was privately owned for one's own amusement (not a company like Starfighters, FSI, Draken or ATACS, or Collings or a warbird flight school) was an ex-Danish AF F-100F owned by a dude with dual US/South Africa citizenship who hangared it in El Paso. (There was an F-5B up in Tulsa, but I believe it was also flown for hire, not amusement.)

He had his own J-57 guy, ex-Hun crew chief and more money than I could spend in my remaining years of life. A beautiful machine. Probably also had a few G suits. Send me up that creek. :D

I went by the hangar one day in 2004 and the crew chief said the owner was looking to trade it in on an F-106B. :shock: Maybe he'd settle for a Viper.

The guy also owned a flyable example of the rare four-engine McDonnell-Douglas bizjet, can't remember the designation off the top of my head, but it was the Lockheed Jetstar competition.
Attachments
Mac119-2.jpg

viper12

Unread post21 Aug 2019, 21:34

outlaw162 wrote:The guy also owned a flyable example of the rare four-engine McDonnell-Douglas bizjet, can't remember the designation off the top of my head, but it was the Lockheed Jetstar competition.

Can't be any rarer : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_119
Everytime you don't tell the facts, you make Putin stronger.

Everytime you're hit by Dunning-Kruger, you make Putin stronger.

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post22 Aug 2019, 00:00

I had heard that the McDonnell had been intended to be flown between ABQ (its original base) and South Africa when it was first acquired. When I saw it at El Paso, I don't think I'd have tried to fly it across the highway to Biggs AAF.

In the best entrepreneurial spirit the guy who owned it also owned a couple of 727s that operated in and out of some of the least accessible and less hospitable airfields in Africa. There may be a movie there.

You know the thing about owning an F-16 vs a vintage jet fighter is dealing with the high tech complexity. The F-100 crew chief basically had to bleed the air out of the hydraulics in the morning and install the drag chute after the flight (and actually a pilot could do both). An AAR-type business could handle the periodic MX. Maybe an AAR could handle advanced FBW and other digital MX, but I would imagine the $$$ involved + insurance cost could be more enjoyably allotted to a whole fleet of P-51s. Although having the only Viper on the block might be a selling point.

(Just avoid the ice cream parlors off the end of the runway. :shock: )

Return to F-16 News