Israeli F-16I crashed

Discussions about F-16.net news articles. A topic is created automatically whenever someone posts a comment in the F-16 News section.

by fang » 06 Oct 2016, 07:40

Yesterday (Sept. 5, 2016) F-16i #119 returned to land at Ramon AFB after operational sortie.
The plane start the landing procedure with asymmetric weapon load (only 1 large bomb attached to one of the wings). Somehow the landing failed and the crew ejected sideward, the rear pilot (navigator) survived the ejection but the pilot didn't.

The incident is under investigation.
RIP Maj. Ohad Cohen-Nov
http://www.iaf.org.il/4452-47063-he/IAF.aspx

The airframe details
http://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F ... file/4703/

F-16i #119.jpg
119 in better days

IAF F-16i #119 crash (1).jpg
Rear of 119 after the mishap

IAF F-16i #119 crash (2).jpg

IAF F-16i #119 crash (3).jpg

by tmofarrvl » 07 Oct 2016, 14:18

The pilot, Maj Ohad Cohen Nov was laid to rest in his home town of Mazor, a Moshav (farming community) east of Tel Aviv. The 34 year old Major was deputy commander of Israel's 119 Squadron (the Bat Squadron). Friends describe him as "a great guy, a fabulous uncle, and the number one brother." He leaves behind a daughter and a pregnant wife.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 61,00.html
http://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Israeli- ... E2M0NFREU=

Rest in peace.

by ruderamronbo » 08 Oct 2016, 01:19

Posting to spur responses from the experts. The Viper is flyable with an asymmetric load as I saw during a Fam flight where we dropped a GBU-10 then a Mk-84 on a separate pass. Is it not possible to land safely with a similar configuration?

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by johnwill » 08 Oct 2016, 04:20

ruderamronbo wrote:Posting to spur responses from the experts. The Viper is flyable with an asymmetric load as I saw during a Fam flight where we dropped a GBU-10 then a Mk-84 on a separate pass. Is it not possible to land safely with a similar configuration?

Of course it's possible, it's been done many times. The first time was in 1977 during Full Scale Development flight test at Edwards AFB. A GBU-8 (2200 lb) was loaded on an outboard weapon hardpoint (3 or 7) and normal takeoff and landing operations were conducted without difficulty. Roll and yaw trim were needed to balance the asymmetric weight and drag, but the pilot had no difficulty controlling the airplane.

by guy@rdaf.dk » 08 Oct 2016, 09:56

Large asymmetry is only really critical under landing conditions. In flight, as long as the speed is kept high and the pilot handles the jet gently, there is no problems.

The manual takes asymmetric stores landing situations into account. If the asymmetry is less then 10.000 foot-pounds then there is no need to do anything other then a normal landing (just set the trims). If the asymmetry is between 10.000 foot-pounds and 25.000 foot-pounds a controllability check has to be performed down to not slower then 12 AOA. If loss of roll authority is lost before 12 AOA is reached, the approach is to be flown with 2 AOA less of the AOA at which the pilot could still maintain enough control over the roll axis. Flying a shallow power on approach will help during the round-out/flare phase of the landing.

In the case of large asymmetry, the pilot also needs to land with the heavy wing into the wind even though this might exceed the tailwind limit of 10 knots. Furthermore pilot experience, weather and runway conditions, runway length and cable status is part of the considerations. In som cases it is just safer to jettison the weapon and get rid of the asymmetry however one might also be in a situation where the store is hung and it is not possible to get rid of it.

A 2.000 pounder on station 3 or 7 is within the max asymmetry landing limit, but with unfavorable weather and runway conditions it might be very challenging.

Last but not least, the breaks on the heavy side will have to absorb a high amount of energy and the tire relief plugs might melt after landing.

I have seen it done safely many times, but also a couple of times where the pilot had to earn his money.
Greetings to you all at the NSA and everybody else who is reading this on ECHELON.

by fang » 08 Oct 2016, 10:19

The IAF didn't publish yet the mishap full details.
However, some sources indicate there was other problem on the jet besides asymmetric load which made him go around after trying to land at the first time, the second attempt was the tragic one.
BTW, he was fighter pilot for 13-14 years, most of that time on F-15.

Article on IAF website
http://www.iaf.org.il/4452-47063-en/IAF.aspx

On the pic took by XNIR, an Israeli F-16i landing asymmetricly.
Attachments
F-16i asymmetric landing.jpg
Last edited by fang on 08 Oct 2016, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

by guy@rdaf.dk » 08 Oct 2016, 10:33

Great picture. Shows quite clearly how the control surfaces are trying to compensate for the asymmetry. A GBU-31 JDAM like on the picture would give an asymmetry of about 20.000 foot-pound.

The pilot might have been experienced, but not necessarily on the F-16.

The investigation report will show what happened.

RIP
Greetings to you all at the NSA and everybody else who is reading this on ECHELON.

by fang » 08 Oct 2016, 10:56

guy@rdaf.dk wrote:Great picture. Shows quite clearly how the control surfaces are trying to compensate for the asymmetry. A GBU-31 JDAM like on the picture would give an asymmetry of about 20.000 foot-pound.

RIP

Looks weird, shouldn't it be opposite? loaded wing flap up and empty wing flap down..
About he's F-16 experience, yes some automatic reactions suite one type of plane don't suite others..

by guy@rdaf.dk » 08 Oct 2016, 11:03

Nope, the heavy wing needs to generate more lift to carry the JDAM. Flap down means more lift...

by fang » 08 Oct 2016, 11:41

guy@rdaf.dk wrote:Nope, the heavy wing needs to generate more lift to carry the JDAM. Flap down means more lift...

That's right, I had G-LOC for a moment but like A-GCAS you made it clear once again :)

by tmofarrvl » 25 Oct 2016, 13:09

The initial investigation appears to have cleared the pilot of any wrongdoing.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/army-probe ... correctly/

Root cause is still under investigation.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by zaltys » 20 Feb 2017, 13:44

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by saberrider » 21 Feb 2017, 06:09

fang wrote:
guy@rdaf.dk wrote:Great picture. Shows quite clearly how the control surfaces are trying to compensate for the asymmetry. A GBU-31 JDAM like on the picture would give an asymmetry of about 20.000 foot-pound.

RIP

Looks weird, shouldn't it be opposite? loaded wing flap up and empty wing flap down..
About he's F-16 experience, yes some automatic reactions suite one type of plane don't suite others..

No it will be trimmed to roll toward empty wing.But I don't see rudder trim at all !