Operation Odyssey Dawn/Unified Protector

Discussions about F-16.net news articles. A topic is created automatically whenever someone posts a comment in the F-16 News section.

by Butcher » 19 Mar 2011, 20:13

The Mig-23 apparently was of the Free Libyan Air Force and could have been shot down by Friendly Fire:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 168434.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O92YiMXVsWg
Attachments
mig-23-shot-down-over-benghazi-01.jpg
mig-23-shot-down-over-benghazi-02.jpg
mig-23-shot-down-over-benghazi-03.jpg
mig-23-shot-down-over-benghazi-04.jpg

by mjoelner » 19 Mar 2011, 21:03

discofishing wrote:
These would likely be aircraft upgraded with very modern capabilities, some of which USAF do not even employ or fund.

Like what?

Like this: http://www.terma.dk/multimedia/4868_pbl ... screen.pdf

Basically just a clever way of using off the shelf components. Like ECM from the US Navy and missile approach warners from EADS.

Apart from that, the european EPAF F16s are kept as similar to their american counterparts as possible. But they do have stuff like JHMCS and IFF interrogators and I don't remember seeing that on other pre block 50s ? I believe USAF doesn't have as much focus on the air to air role for the F-16?

by Siesta » 19 Mar 2011, 21:16

mjoelner wrote:
discofishing wrote:
These would likely be aircraft upgraded with very modern capabilities, some of which USAF do not even employ or fund.

Like what?

Basically just a clever way of using off the shelf components. Like ECM from the US Navy and missile approach warners from EADS.

Apart from that, the european EPAF F16s are kept as similar to their american counterparts as possible. But they do have stuff like JHMCS and IFF interrogators and I don't remember seeing that on other pre block 50s ? I believe USAF doesn't have as much focus on the air to air role for the F-16?

Block 40s have JHMCs and the US has F-16 national guard squadrons stationed throughout the US which fly the air defense role - air to air which there are more squadrons of these than European squadrons.

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Asif » 19 Mar 2011, 22:13

AllVoices wrote:Greece decides its military participation against Libya
Athens : Greece | Mar 18, 2011
By WiredGreek

While the NATO is still struggling to decide on how to proceed against Libya, Greece seems to have taken its political decisions as to what role it will play in a joined forces operation against Muammar Gaddafi. Greek media reported tonight that Greek armed forces will participate in coalition operations, however not in the operational part targeting Libyan soil. Greece will assist in humanitarian, arms embargo control and no fly zone surveillance missions.

Greece will apparently provide 4 F-16 fighter jets, 1 radar aircraft ERIYE, 2 Super Puma helicopters and 1 frigate, with the possibility for more.

The air and naval base at Souda Bay, Crete, and the Aktio Air Base,Preveza, will most likely be used for deployment and refueling but not for bombing take offs.

The fighter jets will control over the war zone, the frigates off the Gulf of Sirte while the Super Puma will perform search and rescue missions. The radar aircraft will operate within Athens FIR.

The decisions were taken earlier today at an extra ordinary meeting with the military, defence and diplomatic leadership of the country under the chairmanship of Prime Minister GeorgeGeorge Papandreou.

Defence Minister Evaggelos Venizelos stated after the meeting that Greece will comply with the UN resolution and the NATO decisions.

Final decisions will be taken most likely tomorrow after the NATO role is being cleared.

Of course, there is still the question open as to what Athens will do, should the NATO fail to get involved. France opposes a North Atlantic Allinace action against an Arab country. For the time being it looks as if there will be a coalition of Gaddafi-foes under the leadership of UK, France and USA. In this case Souda and Aktio bases will not be used.

On political level, prime minister George Papandreou had atelephone conversation with his Libyan counterpart Al-Baghdadi Ali Al-Mahmoudi and urged him to comply immediately with the UN resolution.

source: http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-ne ... inst-libya
Asif Shamim
F-16.net Editorial staff & Patch Gallery Administration

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by runi_dk » 19 Mar 2011, 22:20

Here are the 6 F-16s on the base Sigonella in Sicily, Italy.

I see <a href="http://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F-16/airframe-profile/2205/">E-008</a> and <a href="http://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F-16/airframe-profile/2534/">E-016</a>.
Attachments
Sigonella-RDAF-F-16s.JPG
forsvaret.dk

by mjoelner » 19 Mar 2011, 22:57

Block 40s have JHMCs and the US has F-16 national guard squadrons stationed throughout the US which fly the air defense role - air to air which there are more squadrons of these than European squadrons.

OK I'm glad to hear that :-) I was under the impression that the F-16 had little street cred as an air to air fighter after the Gulf war? Some of the danish F-16s are old USAF block 15 planes. We got them quite cheap after that conflict 8) Something about the aircraft having nine times less space for avionics than the F-15. I guess the later updates changed that perception?

Anyway here is a video showing a danish F-16 getting an italian Eurofighter in the gunsight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAedQ7FMiKo

I'm afraid the voice-over is in danish, but he is saying something like "the F16 is surprisingly agile once both planes have slowed down". Or something to that effect.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Lasse » 19 Mar 2011, 23:53

Boman wrote:Norway is to send 6 F-16's. Will supposedly take 5-10 days, something I cannot understand at all? Thought the NRF was to be deloyable in 24 hours roughly?

I too cannot understand this at all. Especially since an article I read earlier had an interview with Air Force personnel who stated preparations were underway as soon as the resolution was enacted, in other words they started preparing days before they got the go-ahead from the government.

In other news: 'An un-named French official tells the AFP news agency that the UAE has pledged 24 aircraft to the coalition and Qatar between 4&6.'

It would appear the Block 60 will finally see battle, albeit at most doing some ground pounding. Unless of course a Libyan pilot or two feel adventurous/suicidal.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 20 Mar 2011, 00:07

Who else uses the TERMA system? I know the Netherlands uses a similar system on their Apaches and Chinooks. It's a pretty cool design and probably way easier to install on aircraft when compared to CMWS/MAWS. Does anyone know if the US F-16s have similar capabilities to detect IR missiles (AAR-47/AAR-57)?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by VarkVet » 20 Mar 2011, 00:14

Lasse wrote:
Boman wrote:Norway is to send 6 F-16's. Will supposedly take 5-10 days, something I cannot understand at all? Thought the NRF was to be deloyable in 24 hours roughly?

I too cannot understand this at all. Especially since an article I read earlier had an interview with Air Force personnel who stated preparations were underway as soon as the resolution was enacted, in other words they started preparing days before they got the go-ahead from the government.

In other news: 'An un-named French official tells the AFP news agency that the UAE has pledged 24 aircraft to the coalition and Qatar between 4&6.'

It would appear the Block 60 will finally see battle, albeit at most doing some ground pounding. Unless of course a Libyan pilot or two feel adventurous/suicidal.

I’m sure Norway could have easily deployed in 24 hours. We have this thing called Command and Control and right now I believe we have too many “cooks in the kitchen” Right now I don’t think anyone knows what’s going on! Too bad the F-35 isn’t operational, because you only need to fly a couple of those in the AOR and everyone would take cover! :roll:

Best wishes to all involved :salute:
My eyes have seen the glory of the Lord and the esthetics of the Flightline

by Siesta » 20 Mar 2011, 00:52

VarkVet wrote:I’m sure Norway could have easily deployed in 24 hours. We have this thing called Command and Control and right now I believe we have too many “cooks in the kitchen” Right now I don’t think anyone knows what’s going on! Too bad the F-35 isn’t operational, because you only need to fly a couple of those in the AOR and everyone would take cover!

Hmm your really think nobody knows whats going on or too many cooks in the kitchen? and then it will only take two F-35s? I disagree...

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by VarkVet » 20 Mar 2011, 01:17

Siesta wrote:Hmm your really think nobody knows whats going on or too many cooks in the kitchen? and then it will only take two F-35s? I disagree...

I'm sure you do Grasshopper ..."seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions"
My eyes have seen the glory of the Lord and the esthetics of the Flightline

Banned

by geogen » 20 Mar 2011, 06:57

Regarding the RoNAF F-16 deployment being reported: perhaps they will rotate in to relieve RNLAF or someone, via a planned sequence (rather than the too many cooks in the kitchen deal, eh)? Or perhaps there is some late-upgrade system undergoing integration, e.g., their new MILDS F-Terma ?? Either way, I guess if it's public info then we'll read about it here first, right!

Anyway, respects to Libyans... they will need to reconcile (as well as region) and work together after this crisis. p.s., regarding some of the comments around the net on this topic, I'm pretty sure an equal message is being sent out by Arab League and Regional powers involved, that any post-conflict extremist elements will not be tolerated in political control as well. The various Libyan factions themselves will need to isolate them once the dust settles. imho.
The Super-Viper has not yet begun to concede.

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Bjorn » 20 Mar 2011, 13:30

So as far as F-16 operations are concerned we have the following build-up already:

Belgium: 6
Denmark: 6
Norway: 6
Greece: 4

From the USAF aircraft of the 480th FS have already been spotted. Either flying straight from Spangdahlem AFB or dispersed to Aviano AFB. Most probably the 510th and 555th FS are also conducting some operations over the area. Unknown factors to the number of F-16 involved is the participation of the Netherlands which hasn't put forward any numbers yet and also the participation of the UAE where it's not sure whether they will deploy Mirage 2000 airframes or the block 60.

Greets,
Bjorn Claes
F-16.net Editor
Photo Library Admin
Aircraft Database Admin

by Butcher » 20 Mar 2011, 13:56

Someone keeps editing my post and adding links and photos :)

CNN is reporting that Eagles, Vipers, Harriers and B-2s were part of 19 U.S aircraft which performed strike operations:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/20/li ... fi-forces/

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Asif » 20 Mar 2011, 15:38

Aviano Air Base wrote:Coalition launches 'Operation Odyssey Dawn'
Posted 3/20/2011
by Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

3/20/2011 - WASHINGTON -- Coalition forces launched "Operation Odyssey Dawn" March 19 to enforce U.N. Security Council Resolution 1973 to protect the Libyan people from the country's ruler.

The goal of the military coalition is to prevent further attacks by regime forces on Libyan citizens, officials said, adding that the coalition also wants to degrade the ability of Moammar Gadhafi's regime to resist a no-fly zone being implemented.

U.S. military forces are on the leading edge of the coalition operation, taking out Libya's integrated air and missile defense system, Defense Department officials said. The ordnance is aimed at radars and anti-aircraft sites around the capital of Tripoli and other facilities along the Mediterranean coast.

Joint Task Force Odyssey Dawn is commanded by U.S. Navy Adm. Samuel J. Locklear aboard the command ship USS Mount Whitney. The Mount Whitney joins 24 other ships from Italy, Canada, the United Kingdom and France in launching the operation.

Cruise missiles from U.S. submarines and frigates began the attack on the anti-aircraft system. A senior defense official speaking on background said the attacks will "open up the environment so we could enforce the no-fly zone from east to west throughout Libya."

In addition to the cruise missiles, the United States will provide command and control and logistics. American Airmen and Ssailors also will launch electronic attacks against the systems.

The United Kingdom, France, Italy and Canada already have announced that they are part of the coalition. Officials expect Arab countries will publicly announce their participation soon.

source: http://www.aviano.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123247692
Asif Shamim
F-16.net Editorial staff & Patch Gallery Administration

PreviousNext