Desired Bachelors Degree for F-16 pilot

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)

by thunderbolt89 » 03 Jul 2005, 09:26

I’m a Mechanical Engineering major at Auburn University, and I have always been told that Aeronautical Engineering is the desirable degree for Flying in the Air Force. The only problem is, Aeronautical Engineering is not the best degree for finding jobs outside of the military. Work is only available for limited time and few slots are usually open. My question is, should I switch my major to Aeronautical Eng. before ROTC or will the Mech. Eng. suit me just fine in the long run, as far as flying goes?

by MATMACWC » 03 Jul 2005, 16:02

ehhh, I dunno about that. I was an Electrical Engineer and I have buddies that were History majors.....and we all fly F-16's. I did the ROTC route; the faculty looks and your grades, military aptitude, physical performance before recommending to the Air Force what you should do for a job. Are you already in ROTC or are you planning OTS? On top of everything it sucks to say, but you gotta have a backup plan if the flying thing doens't work out, but I think you already have your answer for that.

by thunderbolt89 » 03 Jul 2005, 18:53

Ya I have a back up plan. I My dads an Electrical Engineer who would be willing to give me a job with his business, but I would rather not work for my father .... I would start ROTC in the fall, but id have to stay in school another year (planned on going to OTS) which is not all bad so I can spread things out a bit. I’m aware of the competition for the flying positions....I think I’m ok with the school, idk how I couldn’t be. Could you give me some examples of how I would have to physically perform? Also, if you could do it over again would you go the OTS route?

by MATMACWC » 03 Jul 2005, 19:26

well, ROTC was a big help. I went to Embry Riddle in Prescott, AZ and learned alot about the AF before I graduated. It'd be tough picking up a pilot slot if you were a junior or senior in college now cause the faculty will not get to know you well enough before they haveta make a call that you would make it through pilot training. I had a few buds do OTS and it worked out for them. Think about the Air Guard too, you'll have a guaranteed airplane before you even start pilot training and know exactly where you are going to live! The AF physical is easy, push ups/sit ups and a timed run. Good luck!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by allenperos » 03 Jul 2005, 21:03

Don't be so down on yourself regarding your academic major. It's a good one! What are you worried about? Don't worry about the flying academics, if you fly in the Air Force, huh, they will teach you? Aerospace is sporadic as far as projects go as you have said, lateral moves is what it's all about. The USAF will give you PME in management education, so you can move up and have job security in any program you're in. You're in good shape!
F-16B, CC 80-0623 ERAU ROTC
MD-11, 90, 80, Cognizant Aerospace Technical Writer - Powerplant RR, GE, and P&W

by thunderbolt89 » 03 Jul 2005, 22:48

Thanks alot for the help guys. I greatly apperciate it.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by G-reg » 03 Jul 2005, 23:34

I launched out a new Lt. a few days ago that got a General Studies degree from a state school, so I wouldn't worry about which Engineering degree is most beneficial for you. More important are references, a clean record, your medical, and AFOQT scores. Having a private pilots license and a FAA class 1 medical can help too.
Blk 15 (no, really)CC and aspiring pilot.

by thunderbolt89 » 04 Jul 2005, 00:42

One last question regarding the FAA medical examination.

When I was 9, I was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder due to touching/counting/and cleaning things. The doctor put me on medication for a few years that I can’t remember the name of. I have been off medicine now for quite sometime (7/8 years) and have not had any signs of OCD sense I was 13.

Would this affect my results?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Two'sIn » 08 Jul 2005, 16:50

Would this affect my results...hmmmmmm...what "results" are you referring to...urinalysis/blood analysis?

Here's my two cents on this: your bloodwork/urinalysis isn't your enemy here. That little form that asks you virtually every question under the sun regarding your medical/psychological condition/history IS your enemy. I wouldn't swear to it, but I seem to remember a question on there regarding psychological/psychiatric attention.

It wouldn't be a good idea for me to advise you to be dishonest. HOWEVER, comma, I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST you find someone (stomp, stomp, FLIGHT SURGEON) who can tell you whether or not OCD and the associated meds will disqualify you. I understand that you have been off the meds for a number of years...but I'm not a doc, and I'm not sure that the USAF will really care how long you've been off them. It's the fact that you were diagnosed with the condition that might be a door slammer. SO, ask a Flight Surgeon whether the history of this condition is a disqualifying factor. If it is, then it's your call as to whether you check "yes" next to the question that asks you if you've ever been under the care of a psychologist/psychiatrist.

Hope for the best,
Twoop

P.S. I knew a guy (would have been a great USAF asset) who was disqualified from AFROTC for answering truthfully about his history of seizures. I can't remember the question...something about having seizures beyond your 6th or 8th birthday...he had ONE SEIZURE just a few weeks beyond that date, and was honest about it. There's not thing one wrong with integrity...but I still question that call...that might be one of my "bendables"...
"Watch THIS"

by 40watts » 08 Jul 2005, 18:11

Thunderbolt,

According to the USAF fighter pilot job description, the following degrees are desirable:
  • Physical Sciences
  • Mathematics
  • Administration
  • Management
Now what is the most desirable out of those is beyond me.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by falconloader » 08 Jul 2005, 19:50

A degree in basketweaving will work also. It's much more important getting good AFOQT scores, get your private and keep a clean record.Also good timing is a plus.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by whiskeythud » 09 Jul 2005, 17:01

Thank God someone finally said it, AGAIN. Thanks falconloader, you can have any major in the whole world, hell you can be an independent studies major. I am a history major so that tells you it doesn't matter. All that matters is strong grades, a strong commander's ranking, and strong AFOQT, BAT, and any flying hours to tie into your PCSM score.

by CrewDawg-Viper » 09 Jan 2006, 04:04

Some pilots I know seemed like they had a degree in Underwater Basket Weaving but I know pilots who have degrees in Phys Ed. Don't worry man
If it turns, burns, banks, or rolls a Crew Chief made it happen.
I flew 30,000 miles to smoke a camel.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by AfterburnerDecalsScott » 09 Jan 2006, 04:50

Look at the T-Birds pilots.....not an aeronautical engineer in the bunch.

1 Poli-Sci and a military history

http://www.nellis.af.mil/thunderbirds/officers2005.htm

by CrewDawg-Viper » 22 Jan 2006, 21:16

falconloader wrote:basketweaving

That's a tough course but Underwater Basketweaving is even harder.
If it turns, burns, banks, or rolls a Crew Chief made it happen.
I flew 30,000 miles to smoke a camel.

Next