Future Pilot :D

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)

by jetman75 » 09 Dec 2013, 08:38

Hey guys, my name is Simo and I am 16 years old. Currently a Junior in high school and I am wanting to join the Air Force in the near future and become a pilot like you guys. I know I will have to go through either the Academy or AFROTC before actually joining and becoming a pilot. My GPA is currently at a 3.2 (not the best but will improve), I did football this year to kind of up my chances in going to the Academy, and am soon going to join my local CAP. I was introduced to aviation about 2 years ago through a Young Eagles ride and have been hooked to it ever since. I do not have my Private Pilot's license yet but I am trying to get there as soon as I have the funds to do so. Anyways I realized that the Air Force will be the way to go to get a career in Aviation. So I am now here to ask you guys, what can I do to improve my chances in becoming an Air Force pilot? Any recommended activities that either the Academy or AFROTC would like to see? Also what's life like being a pilot in the Air Force? Thanks a lot guys. :D

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by huggy » 12 Dec 2013, 04:42

OTS is also an option.
As is the Air National Guard, and Air Force Reserve.
If you elect to try AFROTC, consider their scholarship program. Just make sure you look at the obligation.

There is nothing special you need to do to get into AFROTC. If you want to compete for the scholarship, you should pull down the application now, and get an idea of what you need to do.

For now, just continue to develop good study habits, and be very good about your time management (i.e. turn the TV off, and do something productive).

Depending where you live, look into getting flying time in a glider, or in a Light-Sport aircraft. It may be cheaper to get your FAA license that way.

As for what life is like as an AF pilot... there is plenty out on the internet on that. WAY too much to write to answer that question here!

Good luck.