Best enlisted ANG job to apply for pilot slot?

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)

by lanceplatte » 23 Sep 2013, 05:48

Hello all, I'm brand new to the forum (just posted a short intro in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.)
I will be enlisting in the Air Guard while in college, and I want to apply for a pilot slot when I'm done with my degree. However, I'm feeling a little stressed out. Right now the guard is offering a bonus for training to be a crew chief. I've talked to an active duty crew chief to see what it's like, and I like how the job sounds. Is this a good choice of career for application, or is there better options?

Sorry to come to the forum with questions right away, but the stress of job selection is killing me haha.

edit: by better options, I mean better for my resume when I apply for the pilot slot

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by huggy » 23 Sep 2013, 18:04

What you need to do is:
1. Find the unit with the mission and location that you are stoked about. Then, apply to one of the positions that will interest you the most. If you dread the thought of bending a wrench, then don't apply to be a crew chief.
Then,... once you are in the unit... do the best you can, and prove to them you are dedicated to the unit, and will be successful in your UPT endeavours.
Oh... and start taking flying lessons too.

by lanceplatte » 24 Sep 2013, 02:55

huggy, I have found that unit and I have visited a few times with them. Wrenching for a living while I'm in college seems like a good bit of fun, but being that I've talked to a crew chief I know there's good and bad to every job. And yes, flying lessons in the future is something I'm going to do

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neurotech » 24 Sep 2013, 18:37

lanceplatte wrote:huggy, I have found that unit and I have visited a few times with them. Wrenching for a living while I'm in college seems like a good bit of fun, but being that I've talked to a crew chief I know there's good and bad to every job. And yes, flying lessons in the future is something I'm going to do

Of course there is good and bad. I was assigned as a contractor programmer in the simulators (mainly) for OT&E on the F/A-18 series, and I assure you that sometimes I found myself running out to flight line to assist the crews in getting a jet ready, including shuttling LRU boxes for quick replacement on the flight line. Basically, we were there to evaluate and "operate" the jets, not push the envelope, but it was still interesting and enjoyable flying.

If you keep a positive attitude, the squadron/unit might let you go into simulator for practice flight or even the occasional ride in the back seat of a jet. Not p**ing off the O-5+ who can authorize a ride helps too.