Considered being a jet engine mechanic

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)

by cacinvag » 13 Aug 2012, 06:16

Hello. I was wondering if there was anything out there on the F110-GE-129 so that I could learn about it. Maybe a book or a documentary would be nice as well. See, I'm in the USAF and it's my 2nd week here in tech school and I must say, some of the stuff I've learned so far and what I've seen that I'm going to learn in the coming weeks is completely over my head. I have no mechanical experience. I just want to further my knowledge. :) Any help please?

by Mushmouth » 28 Aug 2012, 04:08

One good answer, get past the second week and finish tech school. If what they teach you in tech is over your head, anything else giving to you will be like telling a 5th grader to decipher hieroglyphics. And there is no guarantee you will be working -129s. You could get stuck working GE-100s, TF-34's etc. Besides, tech shcool goes over some basic theroy of operation but a lot of backshop practices. So before you get ahead of yourself, it helps to know what you really will be doing. Best of luck!!
00-06 Shaw GE-129
06-07 Kunsan GE-100
07-11 Dyess B1B GE-102
11-12 Kunsan GE-100
12-'' JBMDL CF6-50

by rpgrynn » 28 Aug 2012, 05:03

Great points mushmouth - Check out this link to get you started:

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article11.html

by cacinvag » 31 Aug 2012, 05:20

Mushmouth wrote:One good answer, get past the second week and finish tech school. If what they teach you in tech is over your head, anything else giving to you will be like telling a 5th grader to decipher hieroglyphics. And there is no guarantee you will be working -129s. You could get stuck working GE-100s, TF-34's etc. Besides, tech shcool goes over some basic theroy of operation but a lot of backshop practices. So before you get ahead of yourself, it helps to know what you really will be doing. Best of luck!!

...OK, I LIED! :oops:

I'm done with tech school. Been done since April. It's now August. I'm stationed in Shaw AFB, SC. I know some basic stuff, but it's not enough for me. Again, like I said, I'm not mechanically inclined. I just need something more substantial to help me fully understand what's up. Sure, I could do that at work, but there isn't any time to do any of that. I'm either clearing up write-ups, helping with tear-downs or build-ups. That or doing parts verification sheets.

There's this one man, from work who works with AFETS, told me that when he was where I was at my age, they had two engines that weren't operational, and he'd be tasked (along with other new Airmen) to install/remove components (major or otherwise) over and over again until it they were comfortable doing so on the operational engines. Yeah, that ain't happening now.