Advice on getting into the ANG

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by southernphantom » 29 Jul 2012, 20:52

I'm entering my junior year of high school and have my sights set on flying in the ANG. (I am open to all aircraft/missions except UAV ground control). My grades are good (3.8-ish unweighted GPA) and I have 4 years service in CAP. Any suggestions on the path I should take into the ANG, assuming a four-year engineering degree? AFROTC is an uncertainty.

by bzubrod » 10 Aug 2012, 14:11

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't even consider Guard/military until my Senior year of college. I am not sure if you can go ROTC and then go Guard or if you have to go AD after ROTC (not the path I took, so I can't contribute) but I would say, don't worry too much about it, go to college, major in something you love, get good grades (even though you don't need to be a 4.0 student to get a slot, I finished with a 2.9 and I got a Viper slot) enjoy your college experience, get some flight time, prob at least a Private license and as you near the latter part of your college career, study up and take the AFOQT and TBAS. When you get to that point start talking to units that interest you, communicate, communicate, communicate. Show them that you are serious and want this job.

I was a lucky dude, I made the decision that this was what I wanted to do with my life around the new year of 2012, studied my a$$ off and got some good scores on the AFOQT and TBAS. Started submitting packages in March, got an interview with my first unit, and got selected in April. First Unit, first interview...I must have done something right.