AFOQT and beyond

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)

by tech151 » 11 Mar 2012, 12:03

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the posts, comments, and etc. my first time posting here but I've read a lot of the threads the past month while studying for the afoqt. I take it on Wednesday (3/14) and I'm not too (maybe a little) nervous about it which is nice. But I def want to do in the 90s on every section even though I'm only eligible for rated boards (2.87 gpa). Figure if i do well on the test might outweigh my average gpa. I've taken two practice tests and have done alright. Missed only a handful of the math problems and word stuff. I think at worst I'll be in the high 80s but no real way to tell from practice.

Anyway was wondering what y'all thought, I have no military background as in I don't come from a military family and didn't participate in ROTC programs because frankly I didn't consider them. But anyway, im 24, I've got two bachelors degrees and all of my letters of rec are coming from civilians. I don't have a pilots license cause incant afford it, but my grandpa was a pilot for delta airlines and thenavy before that, he has his own plane now. Anyway have any input on what I can do to increase my chances of getting selected? Currently working a minimum wage job and it's terrible. I definitely think and feel like I belong in the USAF. anyway, Thanks again!

*posted from my phone so sorry for any typos.* :)

by tech151 » 14 Mar 2012, 23:00

Well I just took the afoqt and I think I did pretty well. For anyone who is taking it soon and relying solely on the Argo or Barron's books, I strongly encourage getting a flight handbook to study as well. There were definitely questions not covered in either book in the aviation section. Other than that both books are helpful. Table reading was very different as well.

by tech151 » 20 Mar 2012, 12:47

Just got my scores, was hoping for some input:

Pilot: 84
Nav: 72
Acad Ap: 89
Verbal: 92
Quant: 75

by twintwinsingle » 20 Mar 2012, 17:46

Pretty good scores. 90's on the pilot and nav are the "really good" mark, but these are ok. What are your goals here? I.e. are you looking for active or ANG/AFRC hiring? My experience is, if you have a strong application (good extra-curricular [sports] participation, good GPA [3.0+], good letters of rec [military pilot recs help] and a way to prove you've wanted to be an AF pilot for a long time [Civil Air Patrol, ROTC/JROTC, Civ flying, prior ANG/USAF service]) then they are pretty much looking for you to have average scores or better. Your scores are slightly above average, I'd say. However, it sounds like you don't have many of the other things that would make your application "strong". Still time to fix it, though. I'd recommend: get your PPL, consider enlisting in the ANG (or getting a non-flying officer job). PPL will show interest in flying. Joining the ANG (be it as officer or enlisted) will: show interest in mil service, allow you to meet mil pilots (letters of rec to follow), demonstrate your work ethic and how you are to be around (letters of rec to follow), let you make some non-minimum wage money.

Don't talk much about your LIMFACs (i.e. I make minimum wage, I can't afford to fly, I don't know any mil pilots). All of those are situations under your control (at least the pilots sifting through apps will think they are). Typical conversation among the guys reviewing your app: "Why's he working a min wage job with 2x Bachelors Degrees?...must be lazy", "Why doesn't he have his PPL?...Maybe he should have only gotten 1x Bachelors degree and spent the extra money on flying lessons?", "His Grandfather was an airline pilot and has a plane...what's he mean he has no money and no chance to fly?" Etc, etc. I'm not saying those are accurate statements, I'm just saying that's how the conversation will go. By and large, the guys flying fighters (the guys reviewing your app) have wanted to do this their whole lives and they have sacrificed, scrimped, saved, begged, borrowed and stolen to make flying fighters a reality (was certainly the case for me and just about every guy I've ever flown with). They will have absolutely no sympathy for a guy who has not demonstrated the same desire and level of sacrifice. So, fix it. Start sacrificing now. There's still time. My 2-pennies.

by tech151 » 20 Mar 2012, 21:31

Wow thanks a lot! That was all very helpful and I'll be doing some of those things right away. I've contacted my grandpa to see if he still owns his plane and I've been researching ppl training. I have plenty of free time right now to dedicate towards the lessons cause from what I've read having the time is one of the biggest things. :) I'm pretty dedicated to do this so wiling to do whatever I have to to get the job done right now. Thanks again for the input! :)