How are my AFOQT scores?

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)

by bzubrod » 22 Feb 2012, 15:31

Just got my AFOQT scores today and cant decide if they will be competitive or not. My pilot score is good but wish I would have done better on the others.

Pilot (97), Nav (77), Acad Apt (71), Verbal (72), Quat (64)

I am a commercial SEL and MEL pilot and working on my CFI at the moment. I have not taken the TBAS yet (scheduling today) and my GPA is a 2.9 (started out college poorly but have been making deans list for the past 4 semesters).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JoeSambor » 23 Feb 2012, 12:27

IMHO, not that great.

Best Regards,
Joe Sambor
LM Aero Field Service Engineer
Woensdrecht Logistics Center, The Netherlands

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 23 Feb 2012, 23:08

You sound right about where most dudes are. As long as you have the support of your det ccc, than you should be fine. Don't listen to Joe...never give up. I've seen many a dirtbag make it UPT.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JoeSambor » 24 Feb 2012, 11:53

I didn't say give up...just be ready for a battle to get into a cockpit.

Best Regards,
Joe Sambor
LM Aero Field Service Engineer
Woensdrecht Logistics Center, The Netherlands

by tjodalv43 » 24 Feb 2012, 17:31

You're pilot score is great. If you're gunning for pilot that's the only one that matters. Your flight hours will help add some points to your PCSM. Your GPA is what really matters for your PCSM, it won't factor in deans list or stuff like that. Yours is not great but not low enough to be detrimental IMO. However if you're in ROTC your det commander should take stuff like deans list into consideration when he ranks you. Good luck!

by bzubrod » 06 Mar 2012, 20:31

Took the TBAS yesterday and got a 98 PCSM score

by tjodalv43 » 07 Mar 2012, 03:42

Unless your commander hates you for some reason, you'll do fine. A 98 PCSM is well above average.

by bzubrod » 01 Apr 2012, 05:03

GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!!

Banned

by 1st503rdsgt » 01 Apr 2012, 06:13

bzubrod wrote:Just got my AFOQT scores today and cant decide if they will be competitive or not. My pilot score is good but wish I would have done better on the others.

I am a commercial SEL and MEL pilot and working on my CFI at the moment. I have not taken the TBAS yet (scheduling today) and my GPA is a 2.9 (started out college poorly but have been making deans list for the past 4 semesters).

Thanks

Shouldn't have been partying so hard those first two years. Bummer dude.
The sky is blue because God loves the Infantry.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by pakviper » 02 Apr 2012, 13:49

@bzubrod.......Good Luck Mate! As all your scores are good,...You will do just Fine,... God Willing

by bzubrod » 02 Apr 2012, 16:28

1st503rdsgt wrote:
bzubrod wrote:Just got my AFOQT scores today and cant decide if they will be competitive or not. My pilot score is good but wish I would have done better on the others.

Thanks

Shouldn't have been partying so hard those first two years. Bummer dude.

Actually, didn't party very hard ( i mean, i did have my nights but..) Just was lazy and hated school. Crazy what happens when you decide to get your act together.

by bzubrod » 02 Apr 2012, 16:30

Thanks pakviper, a little nervous for the interview but that's to be expected.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Chuckie » 02 Apr 2012, 18:26

I was a lot like you back when I interviewed. I was ambling through college with no particular direction, when I got a wild hair and decided that I'd try and become a fighter pilot. I worked my tail off and brought my GPA back to slightly higher than where yours is. My AFOQT scores were slightly better than yours, but my PCSM score was slightly lower than yours.

The ANG is about a lot more than numbers, especially considering you are going to work for them your entire career. They look at you in the context that (if they hire you) you are going to be flying, working, socializing, and going to war with them for a long time. First and foremost, they are going to want someone who is going to make it through UPT, IFF, and F-16 RTU. Your PCSM and flying experience add greatly to that. Second, they want someone who is a "good fit". They will ask you a lot of questions in the interview and your answers (and how you answer) mean a lot. Also, your interview starts before you even set foot on the base. Any phone calls you make, people you interact with, etc. are all fair game and I'd expect members on the board to ask around to see what others think of you, even if you aren't being formally interviewed.

Every ANG unit has a different way of doing things and a different "personality," so your experience may vary.

I wouldn't worry so much about your scores and grades. Yours are just fine, and a lot of the people sitting across the table from you probably didn't set the world on fire either. However, I'd bet that they did a lot of other noteworthy things in college that adds to their character and personality, such as ROTC, sports, student government, fraternities, etc. I know that I'd rather hire someone that has a 2.9 GPA with some life experience and a demonstrated ability to work on a team/lead and be social, than a guy with firewalled AFOQT scores and a 4.0GPA and none of the above things.

This coming from someone who has sat on both sends of the table on ANG UPT selection boards, so take it for what it's worth.
Have Gun, Will Travel

by rpgrynn » 02 Apr 2012, 19:44

Chuckie wrote:I was a lot like you back when I interviewed. I was ambling through college with no particular direction, when I got a wild hair and decided that I'd try and become a fighter pilot. I worked my tail off and brought my GPA back to slightly higher than where yours is. My AFOQT scores were slightly better than yours, but my PCSM score was slightly lower than yours.

The ANG is about a lot more than numbers, especially considering you are going to work for them your entire career. They look at you in the context that (if they hire you) you are going to be flying, working, socializing, and going to war with them for a long time. First and foremost, they are going to want someone who is going to make it through UPT, IFF, and F-16 RTU. Your PCSM and flying experience add greatly to that. Second, they want someone who is a "good fit". They will ask you a lot of questions in the interview and your answers (and how you answer) mean a lot. Also, your interview starts before you even set foot on the base. Any phone calls you make, people you interact with, etc. are all fair game and I'd expect members on the board to ask around to see what others think of you, even if you aren't being formally interviewed.

Every ANG unit has a different way of doing things and a different "personality," so your experience may vary.

I wouldn't worry so much about your scores and grades. Yours are just fine, and a lot of the people sitting across the table from you probably didn't set the world on fire either. However, I'd bet that they did a lot of other noteworthy things in college that adds to their character and personality, such as ROTC, sports, student government, fraternities, etc. I know that I'd rather hire someone that has a 2.9 GPA with some life experience and a demonstrated ability to work on a team/lead and be social, than a guy with firewalled AFOQT scores and a 4.0GPA and none of the above things.

This coming from someone who has sat on both sends of the table on ANG UPT selection boards, so take it for what it's worth.

Is there someway to take your current post and make it a ”sticky”?
It really sums up very nicely what alot of operational folks have stated
If future Guard pilots could read this 1st - would set them on the right track
From the get go.

by bzubrod » 02 Apr 2012, 20:55

I appreciate the feedback.

I have heard this type of info from more than a few other guard/Active guys and have tried to put it into practice. I feel like I have a pretty well rounded resume. I have been a competitive swimmer my entire life and was just off of qualifying for the Olympic Trials in 2008. I decided to keep training and am just a few tenths of a second off of Qualifying for the 2012 Trials that will take place at the end if June. I feel like swimming has made me the person I am today, it has taught me dedication to a long term goal, to look past short term set backs and most of all, be comfortable in an uncomfortable situation (its a painful fu$king sport). I love being part of a team and doing my part for the betterment of that team (im a beast when it comes to relays), but at the same time, I strive to have the best individual performance I possibly can (I HATE to lose). I have been training while holding two jobs and an internship with a corporate flight department.

Probably a pretty long winded response, but I definitely feel like I have made myself a pretty well rounded guy, and enjoyed every second of it. I completely agree with the fact that the interview begins with the first phone call. I made sure that everyone I talk to knows how much I want this and that I treated everyone from a recruiter to the secretary with the utmost respect, because you never know who is friends with who and who the board might talk to.

Next