ROTC Scholarships and Drug Use

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JetTest » 03 Nov 2011, 15:12

I hold a scret security clearance, working for a defence contractor, and know for a fact that accurate and full disclosure of that type of information will not bar you from being granted a secret or SAR clearance and briefing to very sensitive programs, and I also know for a fact that if you do not disclose something and they find it during the background check it can. I do not know if the US military sees things differently, but I do know that security clearances are not granted by the military, or contractors, they are granted by the DOD via an SF86 and DOD/FBI background checks.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by expedite » 03 Nov 2011, 23:37

Last edited by expedite on 04 Nov 2011, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.

by HaveVoid » 04 Nov 2011, 02:08

Expedite, check your inbox for a PM

by joseph223 » 04 Nov 2011, 03:08

Can anyone jump in and help explain what the brunt of a TS clearance check is mostly all about? What/where do they normally check and what sorts of things do they normally ask or look for?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JetTest » 04 Nov 2011, 15:42

In my experiance they ask about, and actually check, just about everything you can think of: family history, including parents, spouse and siblings, past residences, past employment, military records, police records including driving record, financial history and condition, medical/psychological histroy, personal references that you have know at least 7 years, past international travel, use of alcohol, civil court actions, associations you belong to or support, and the list goes on. As long as you are not convicted of numerous felonies as an adult, in my experience, and that of many co-workers, as long as yo disclose accurately, and they do not find anything yo did not disclose, you can still be cleared and briefed to programs such as the F22 and F35. They do realize we are all human and nobody is perfect, they just want to be sure you are honest and not in a position to be easily compromised.

Banned

by 1st503rdsgt » 04 Nov 2011, 19:09

JetTest wrote: They do realize we are all human and nobody is perfect, they just want to be sure you are honest and not in a position to be easily compromised.

When I got out (Army), I talked to a young guy working at the local BBQ joint who said he had been rejected from ENLISTMENT in the USAF because he had a really bad credit report. I'm guessing that debt is probably a red flag for potential security risks even if you're not trying to be an officer.
The sky is blue because God loves the Infantry.

by joseph223 » 27 Nov 2011, 21:21

How about family history? Parents with medical conditions, divorced parents, separated relatives, police history or domestic violence, restraining orders, etc? Would one need to worry about losing their dreams over family member stuff like that?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JetTest » 28 Nov 2011, 00:19

I do not recall any questions about medical or criminal history for family members on the SF86, only names, birth dates, nationality and citizenship, etc. The biggest thing is if they find something about you that is asked directly on the SF86 that you do not respond to accurately and completely. They do actually check everything you put on the form.

by ygbsm » 29 Nov 2011, 08:36

discofishing wrote:You're taking a perspective as someone who has NOT served and has NOT held a security clearance and has NOT seen the horrors of combat. If you lie about maybe smoking a little weed, you're doing it to put yourself in HARM'S way for your COUNTRY. Lying will ensure that you wake up on a freezing cold mountain top after two hours of sleep. Lying will put you in a position where you eat a lower quality of food that what is found in prisons and jails. Lying will allow you to jump out of airplanes at night when it's it's 36 degrees outside. Lying will put you in a position wear you're paid disproportionately low compared to a civilian counterpart. Tell the truth and you'll probably be warm, cozy, and well fed, regretting it 40 years down the road.

:shock: Ohhhhhh...the irony of it all!!!

And your body may still be fully functional...and your relationships will be healthy...and you can interact with nincompoops without wanting to jump in their face to remind them how stupid they are...

But, there is the regret....

by joseph223 » 15 Dec 2011, 01:36

JetTest wrote:I do not recall any questions about medical or criminal history for family members on the SF86, only names, birth dates, nationality and citizenship, etc. The biggest thing is if they find something about you that is asked directly on the SF86 that you do not respond to accurately and completely. They do actually check everything you put on the form.

How about adamantly-denied hearsay? For example, say one's best friend says the person in question murdered someone. However, the person in question denies this, and there is no other evidence supporting such a claim. What might happen?

by HaveVoid » 15 Dec 2011, 05:17

I would sincerely recommend that you not list anyone who might make such a claim as a reference on said form. Part of the reason they check references is to get the scoop on things that you may not be forthright about. I'd have to imagine that if someone you list claims you did something, regardless of what you say, they are going to take their word for it. Thats the point of checking your references

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 15 Dec 2011, 23:32

Lie about it. period. If there is a record than try to talk your way through it. It is possible though not probable, depending on circumstances

Previous